1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

UCLA, Cornell, and Liberty

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gang:

I thought we might all need a rest from the "Required Chapel" ideas for a spell.

I am going to be an on line tutor-prof for Liberty. I was just nosing around their web page and found where Liberty has had some accolades. I place the web page here for all who want to go and see. It is quite impressive--regardless of what one things about Dr. Falwell.

Here tiz:

http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=6848&NewsID=148

Enjoy!:thumbsup:

sdg!

rd

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

5,000 acres for 10,000 students! That is 1/2 acre per student and almost 8 square miles. Years ago I almost went there. I was quite impressed by the students I knew who went there at the time.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I love my alma mater and am happy it is beginning to really develop as a leader in providing a world-class Christian education.

I suggest that in another 10 to 15 years it will become more and more of a viable alternative for many students.

we just got to keep the football team rolling...and get rid of the Flamers moniker :D

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Rhet

I don't know what to thing about Falwell . . .

;)

Wayne

PS congratulations on the position . . . now how about that secretary to do some spell checkin'?

5. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

The edition that I picked up off the newstand highlights Texas A&M, Georgia Tech and the University of Montevallo in Alabama. Wonder if that is a regional thing?

6. ichthys

ichthys Member

What did you get Jack Matthews?
    Street & Smith's College Football Annual? :tongue3:
    And no mention of Liberty? The work must continue! :BangHead: :smilewinkgrin:

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

A couple of winning seasons might help . . .

:saint:

8. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

If it was Street and Smith's Football Review, why would it mention Texas A&M and Georgia Tech?:laugh:

I guess US News and World Report must publish several different issues of its college issue for distribution, and highlights different schools in each one. I would have liked to have seen the article about Liberty without Falwell's comments.

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congratulations, Rhet! :thumbs: :applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

10. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

For the record, our football team is off to a 3-1 start although we're expecting a real challenge this Saturday down at Wake Forest (insert joke about their Baptist heritage here).

Actually we got more than a fair share of attention form US News feature. Forbes also recently did a story on the explosive growth on and off campus at Liberty.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So tell me, Sly Fox. I've been curious about something ever since I talked to our neice a couple of years ago who is a Liberty student. I don't ask this to criticize or fuss, but just for information. Does Liberty still consider itself a Baptist school? They took the Baptist name off, and I understand from our neice that they have Pentecostals, etc. in the student body. :confused:

12. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

Yes, Liberty very much considers itself a Baptist school (unlike BJU and others). It is technically considered a ministry of the Thomas Road Baptist Church. And the school has been affiliated with the Virginia branch of the SBC for some time now while maintaining strong ties to the BBF as well as IFBs.

We do have a rather significant numbers of folks from Pentecostal & Assembly of God background on campus but we haven't changed anything on campus. Frankly these Charismatics fit in nicely on campus despite our lack of tongues or public healings.

As for dropping the Baptist name out, that came back in the Spring of 1985 when the school formally stepped up from a college to a university. The seminary followed suit this past year. Neither reflected any change whatsoerver in our adherence to Baptist doctrines. When you look around its tough to find a major Baptist school with the word 'Baptist' in the title.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, thanks SF. That answers some doubts.

Now if I am getting you right, the Pentecostals and Charismatics are welcome as students but not permitted to speak in tongues or have "healing" sessions on campus. Is this on target?

14. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

They are welcomed but the tongues and "healings" don't happen at our school. I don't believe I ever remember seeing a rule against either. They just don't happen based ont he culture of the school. Frankly having some brothers & sisters in Christ who have different backgrounds helps to test & reinforce the belief structure on campus.

Bottom line, the school remains very much Baptist in just about every aspect.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, SF, thanks for the word straight from the horse's mouth. :wavey: