1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

UConn--has it ever been done before?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Speedpass, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If both their men's and women's teams keep on winning, will this be the first time that one school has had a men's NCAA champion and a woman's NCAA champion in basketball in the same season?

2. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Let's hope it doesn't happen.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen to both. Not a UConn fan.

Know the hatred of the UConn MEN for the UConn WOMEN stems from a bad plane flight. Big tourney and women won, men lost. Shared a charter home and women partied hearty and "rubbed it" in the face of the men.

If they DO both win, bet they go meet with President Bush at separate times!

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note: Duke had a chance to be the first back in '99 (I think) but both lost. If UConn women win tonight they will be the first school to to WIN both championships. Which is really amazing feat if it happens

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it is written, so it shall be done.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Sorry to see it happen as I'm not a big fan of either UConn or the Big East. However, they clearly had the best teams and deserved to win.

Dr. Bob, please tell me that you didn't stay up watching girls' basketball??

8. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Groan! Watched our Golden Gopher women lose to U Conn the other night- I think we got stuck in the semi-finals playing the toughest team of the other 3 in the Final Four. Had we been playing either LSU or Tenn in the semi-finals, I think it would have been the Gophers playing U Conn for the championship. Whalen, McCarville, & crew would have beaten LSU or Tenn, I think. (I believe U Conn still would have prevailed in the championship game- but it would have been great for Minnesota to at least make it that far.)

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Women's Basketball" is an oxymoron.

Women-looking-stupid-trying-to-play-men's-basketball" is much more accurate.

I have never watched a women's game in my life. Saw bits of a few when teaching college, to support the girls. But volunteered to work the snack shop and make copious amounts of popcorn during the girls game, then sat and enjoyed REAL basketball (and ate free popcorn, of course) when the men played.

10. LarryN

LarryN New Member

Dr. Bob wrote:
    Dr. Bob,

I was never much of a fan either, but watching a player like Lindsay Whalen driving the ball to the hoop can change that. She says that she tries to base her playing style on "Pistol Pete's", and having seen him play during his prime I'd say it's an apt comparison. She now holds the Gopher record (Men's or Women's) for points, with 2,285- and that's also 5th all-time highest in NCAA history.

11. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob,

I know a few girls that would love to go one one!

12. booklady

booklady New Member

Dr. Bob,
    I have a daughter who is a freshman in high school who is an excellent basketball player. She hopes that her God-given talent may earn her a college basketball scholarship. When I watch her on the court doing something that she loves it thrills me! I find your comments about women's basketball to be very offensive and hurtful to all girls and women who love the game, as I do.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My goal is to express my opinion, not to intentionally hurt anyone. I am truly sorry you find one man's opinion so "offensive and hurtful to all girls and women".

Do you not have sports or music or such that you do not like? Rap? NFL? Modern Art? Feel free to express an opinion without fear that I will be offended. [​IMG]

14. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I view the value of women's sports as an avenue for a college education, pro sports for women is seriously uninteresting

15. booklady

booklady New Member

Dr. Bob,
    How could you possibly think that expressing the opinion that "Women looking stupid trying to play men's basketball" would not be offensive? I have no problem with expressing one's opinion but let's face it, you had to know that was offensive. Can you not express your opinion and still be kind?
    Of course there are things that I do not like but I like to think that I know how to express that without being unkind. "Be ye kind one to another".

go2church,
    Although I don't agree with you I appreciate you expressing your opinion without being sarcastic and offensive. Thank you!

16. booklady

booklady New Member

By the way, Dr. Bob, you misquoted me as saying that your post was offensive and hurtful to all girls and women. I would not presume to speak for all girls and women. What I said was that it was offensive and hurtful to all girls and women WHO LOVE THE GAME, AS I DO. Please don't misquote me. I won't post about this any more, as we were way off the original subject, anyway.