1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

UltraDispensationalism and its effects

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PreachTREE, Aug 6, 2007.

1. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

What doctrines do Ultra-Dispensationalism affect? The church I previously came from is in this camp. Numerous times when confronted with Scripture about the fact that people throughout history were saved through faith alone, they cop out and say that “we can agree to disagree.” Does Ultra-Disp fall into that category? Can it be excused?

Everyone’s help is appreciated! :1_grouphug:

2. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Anybody?!?!?

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Speaking only for myself, I have no idea what ultradispensationalism is.

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Ultradispensationalism, like any theological perspective taken too far leads to teachings outside of the pale of orthodoxy. I had a man tell me once that there was a Gospel of Jesus and a different Gospel of Paul. It is like hyper-calvinism that leads to many problems.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

When you get to the heart of it, it is just another device for distancing the warnings in scripture from believers. Just say they are for Jews in the tribulation, and voila!

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

In a nutshell, the teachings of "ultradispensationalism" holds to several distinctive tenets. Among these are:

1. The "body" church is to be distinguished from the Jewish church, that began in Acts 2. The "mystery" or "body" church is the church of today, and Paul is the Apostle whose writings are for this church. The rest of the Epistles are primarily to and for the Jewish church.
    2. The Gospels and the book of Acts, at least prior to Paul, are all included in the age of Israel, under the law, and does not apply, to the church of today, basically, as the gospel preached there is a nationalistic kingdom gospel.
    3. Acts is the transition between "law" and "grace" dispensations, and between the gospel of the kingdom, and the gospel of grace..
    4. Water baptism and by some adherents, the Lord's Supper are not "church ordinances", to be practiced. Water baptism is usually held to be the sign to the Jewish church.
    5. Israel is the Bride of Christ, not the church. The church is the Body of Christ.

This is not meant to be a complete list, by any means. But it does show some tenets of "ultradispensationalism".

One good page to view is this now dated page by the late H. A. Ironside, himself a strong dispensationalist, but not an "ultradispensationalist".

http://www.brethrenonline.org/books/ultrad.htm

Hope this helps a bit.

Ed

7. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess that one could get to the point where he is saying something like "Well, since the sermon on the mount was given to Jews, then it doesn't apply to us today one iota."
    Yes it was given to Jews. Yes it is the law of the kingdom. However, it has PLENTY of application for those of us saved by grace.

When a guy says the Gospel of Jesus vs the Gospel of Paul, then you need to pin him down on it. Does he mean the "Kingdom Gospel vs the Gospel of Grace"? Gotta' pin peoples' ears back when they say things like that...not to ridicule them, but rather to understand them.

Salvation by grace through faith. Now whether it was before Calvary or after, God has always done His accounting on that basis.

8. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Is this something that should be proactively debated or should I "agree to disagree" with them?

9. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You should slap him silly..... just kidding.

I'd ask him what he means. Then decide whether to debate him or not. I choose not to debate..... so much of it is dead horse beating.

But it is interesting to hear what somebody has to say.