1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Umami....

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by kyredneck, Apr 22, 2015.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....the fifth taste.

Any home chefs here try to incorporate it into their food prep? Naturally, without the use of MSG.

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have tried... unsuccessfully. I'll settle for the smell of smoke on my food and bbq sauce.

3. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bet you have and didn't know it. Even Essau did it. :)
    (power off I'm on cell ph post is short)

4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Accent Seasoning IS MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) and actually does accentuate the savory flavor of umami in foods, particular protein, BUT, it's MSG.

I've been dabbling (well actually using it all the time now instead of salt in just about everything) with fish sauce. The drippings from > year fermented heavily salted anchovies from Viet Nam. As yuck as it may sound this stuff is a fantastic seasoning, it's not 'fishy' at all. It will change a common burger into something memorable, or a chicken breast or a steak. It does superb in a shrimp or tilapia ceviche, or chicken soup, or pinto beans. I've only begun to experiment with it but I'm pretty sure it's going to be a mainstay with me now.

(fyi, worcestershire sauce is made from anchovies fermented in vinegar, whodathunk?)