1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Un-fundamentals Christians?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Gina B, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

To quote a song:
    As for the rest... the mandate to contend for the faith has never been something that I thought made a great deal of difference in my being a fundamentalist. I state what I believe to be true based on my perception of what I have studied in the Bible...that doesn't mean that I refuse to listen to another persons perception on same. Or that my or their perceptions can be considered infalilible.

I have a picture in my head of certain people putting their fingers in their ears and singing "la la la I don't care what you think" in the battle that should be called... I'm right, no I'm right. Please continue...don't let my little interjection stop you...as if it could.

2. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

3. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?? I don't think that is a fair assessment at all. I don't even think it is fair to lump Falwell and BJ in the same condemnation. Most of what you have written in opposition to is the premises and tenets of fundamentalism. You have attacked the beliefs that fundamentalists share far more than the ones differentiate those that you would separate by calling them a "cultural phenomenon."

So basically, your problem is with fundamentalists who behave the way they say they believe... but you also condemn them when you think they don't. Admit it or not, your big problem with fundamentalism is that it contradicts your will and intellect... so you condescend and become frustrated when you can't make us see how stupid we are for disagreeing with you.
    In the context of what you have indicated are acceptable forms of belief, this is a self-contradictory statement.