1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Unbelief....or All Sin?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "DHK,
    yes...like this-
    11 He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still.

12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You really need to quote the reference of the passage, not just verse numbers.
    It is in Revelation 22, if you can't find it again. :)

It is evident that the passage is taken out of context. Remember the OP you started with, or the quote from me--my position--It is belief in Christ that is that entrance into heaven, and unbelief in Christ that keeps one out of heaven. This passage is not even speaking of heaven and hell. The White Throne Judgment already took place in Rev.20:11-15. The fates of the saved and unsaved have already been sealed. What John sees is the New Jerusalem, beyond the Millennium, the eternal state. This has nothing to do with salvation. In fact it has nothing to do with heaven at all.

It is evident that these verses are speaking of a different time period:
    Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
    Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
    --If it were speaking of today, then salvation would be: "they that do his commandments," or of works.
    And we would also have access to the tree of life in this life. But we don't. And salvation is by grace through faith, not of works, not of the keeping of his commandments.

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,

Oh...so you know where the passage is...then you should have known the truth that all sin keeps people out of heaven..

CautiousCautiousCautiousCautiousCautious This excuse has worn thinSleepSleepSleepSleepSleep

I do not have to write a commentary on the book of Revelation to show that sins plural keep sinners[the unclean spoken of here]...out of heaven.

As I started the OP I see that you seek to change your position if you are the "unnamed poster"
    here was the section from the OP....to refresh your mind and that of the reader;
    DHK said
    This was your statement then....not as you say now....

You attempt to clean up your errant post here......

Belief In Christ was not the question...that was not the OP....stay on topic...Frown
    Then you say.....unbelief In Christ keeps one out of heaven....that also was not in question, stay on topic.....

The topic was you were saying that SIN DOES NOT KEEP SOMEONE OUT OF Heaven.
    I do say that any sin not covered by Jesus will keep them out.

I say that because multitudes have never heard about Jesus and have died in their sins.

The passage is speaking about both heaven and hell.....the eternal state.

More false teaching to add to your resume.....that is for another thread...post on topic as you like to say...

CautiousRolleyesEekCautious....you continue to offer error after error.....

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Be reasonable Icon. I couldn't remember where it was, though perhaps I should have. I did a search using a specific phrase and found it quickly enough. It is simply proper etiquette to put in the complete reference of the scripture you post.

What keeps people out of heaven. Jesus makes that very clear for us:
    Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    He that beleiveth not, that is "unbelief" in Christ keeps one out of heaven.

What excuse. Do you have "the excuse" or right to take any scripture out of its context to use in any way you want to? That is very arrogant.
    Would you apply this verse to yourself:
    Mat 21:11 And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.
    --Perhaps claim the deity of Christ? Why not? Just absurdly take any verse out of Scripture, allegorize it, and make it say anything you want to regardless of the context. That is what you are saying to me. However, context is very important, and that "excuse" will never wear thin!!!

So I repeat again: You took the passage out of its context.
    Look and learn. Revelation 22:12-15 has nothing to do with belief or unbelief in Christ in this day and age. Both resurrections will have taken place by that time. The Great White Throne Judgment will have already been over, as it is in Rev.20:11-15. This is now chapter 22 and speaks of the New Jerusalem, subsequent to the GWT, the eternal state. It is a description of the New Jerusalem contrasting it to what was in the past. What was in the past? Dogs, sorcerers, etc. Things that are absolutely unknown in the New Jerusalem. It is to give a picture of a stark contrast to the reader.
    I have already written a commentary on Revelation. Laugh
    I have also both taught and preached through the book more than once. It appears you don't know what you are talking about when referencing this book. What is given in Revelation 22 is a contrast. The unbelievers were already judged and sentenced at the GWT in Rev.20:11-15. They aren't even around. In view is a new heaven and a new earth where no sin will enter in. What keeps all sin out? Unbelief in Christ does. That unbelief in Christ is why people were thrown into the Lake of Fire; why their names were not written in "The Lamb's Book of Life." They had to belong "to the Lamb."
    Pure semantics. I said that "one's misdeeds don't keep a person out of heaven, but unbelief in Christ does." You said I was wrong. Because you said I was wrong I said you were believing in a religion of works. Christ is the center of our faith. It is belief in him that gains us entrance to heaven, and unbelief that shuts us out of heaven. Deeds and misdeeds have nothing to do with it.

Belief in Christ was always the topic in as much as that is the opposite of unbelief in Christ.
    The only thing that keeps one out of heaven is unbelief in Christ, as the only thing that allows a person into heaven is belief in heaven.
    Icon, when you die someday and stand before a holy God, and if he should ask you "Why should I allow you to enter into my heaven?" What would you answer?
    --Would your answer be based on deeds or misdeeds?

Sin not covered by the blood is ultimately unbelief in Christ. Semantics.
    Even so, There is nothing in Revelation 22 that addresses this topic.

That topic is not addressed in Revelation 22.
    What is described in Rev.22 is the New Jerusalem. There is no hell there.

Here is what I said:

The White Throne Judgment already took place in Rev.20:11-15. The fates of the saved and unsaved have already been sealed. What John sees is the New Jerusalem, beyond the Millennium, the eternal state. This has nothing to do with salvation. In fact it has nothing to do with heaven at all.

You simply declare this false teaching. But you can't tell why? There is no false teaching here. If there was you would have pointed it out. But you can't.

None at all. But I understand how an Amill would be confused about the Book of Revelation.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "DHK,

Fair enough. I usually give the scripture address more so when on my laptop.When on my phone sometimes I do not.
    I should do it for those who might be new believers.

Nobody disagrees that unbelief keeps people out of heaven.
    The point of discussion is......can SIN that is not covered by the blood keep persons out of heaven.......you say no.....I say yes ,for sure.

The scriptures were not out of context for anyone not wearing a dispensational straight jacket.

No one has allegorized anything....lets look;

this thread is not all about the whole book of revelation or is it totally chronological.

The use of rev 22 in this discussion is valid because as it is the last book and John is summing up much teaching with these words it becomes clear it is about the condition of the saved and lost.
    in vs 14 the saved...
    Rev 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

these saved persons are described as "doing his commandments"....works accompany their profession as God has worked in them.

contrasted are the unsaved;

Rev 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
    These descriptions of their "works".....are sinful works.
    It does not comment on if they ever heard the gospel at all! It is speaking of general day to day sinners who cannot enter in....

revelation is not chronological....it jumps back and forth.
    So you claim.
    If you are preaching this kind of error it will not help those who sat through it.

Thank you....if you agreed with me I would have to examine myself...

Not around????CautiousCautiousCautious....so the dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie....

are believers???? let me guess....carnal Christian murderers and fornicators

Eek:rolleyes:o_OWinkWink...must be some commentary!Laugh
    you keep avoiding the real issue

the person who never hears about Jesus.....does he sin?
    Is he allowed into heaven with his sin?
    Or is he punished as an unrepentant sinner?
    Does sin have to be punished and cleansed?

And you are wrong once again....that is your regular condition from day to day.

so you hold to your errorThumbsdownThumbsdownThumbsdown

As I made the OP...it was not the topic.....you are trying to disguise your errorConfused

The Holy Covenant keeping God will never ask that question...as He knows who He has purposed to save in the Covenant of redemption...He will say well done, good and faithful servant.

Your shallow views of the sinfulness of sin are horrible as Jesus had to die for the sins of His people.

only to those who have eyes to see.

it was bad enough the first time I read it.

you might need to ask an amill person that question.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

"Give an answer to every man that asketh you (with the reference). :)

I don't give opinion; you do. What did Jesus say:

Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
    --Before He even shed his blood he stated that he was the only way. Belief in him was the only way to heaven. Contrariwise unbelief in him is the way to be shut out of heaven. It is black and white. It is in scripture all throughout the Bible. For example:
    1Jn 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
    --Either you have life or you don't; either you believe or you don't.
    Is that really true?
    How does this verse and its context apply to the topic:

1Ch 26:18 At Parbar westward, four at the causeway, and two at Parbar.
    --You say it "is never out of context."??? How does it relate to the OP?
    BTW, who said anything about dispensations? I didn't. You are on your hobby-horse again.

Perhaps not right here. Often it does. What you are replying to is this statement:

So I repeat again: You took the passage out of its context.
    Look and learn. Revelation 22:12-15 has nothing to do with belief or unbelief in Christ in this day and age.

--Again I repeat, Rev.22:12-15 has nothing to do with the OP. You have taken the passage out of its context. Sometimes a passage is allegorized; sometimes out of context. As you proclaimed before: It is scripture; "Scriptures are never out of context." Nonsense.
    This is Scripture too:
    Son 2:6 His left hand is under my head, and his right hand doth embrace me.
    --It simply doesn't have anything to do with the OP, just like Rev.22 doesn't.

The book of Revelation is mostly chronological. If that is your excuse it is sad.
    Christ commanded John to write in chronological order.
    Rev 1:19 Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;
    --There is order and structure in the book, AND chronology.
    So now you revert back to a works salvation.
    Salvation is by grace through faith and that not of oneself; not of works.
    Works comes after salvation. And works have nothing to do with salvation. Neither does this chapter--Rev.22.
    What does John say:
    Rev 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
    --There were no chapter divisions in the original. This is a continuation of chapter 21.
    It is a description that starts immediately after the Great White Throne Judgement of 20:11-15.
    This is what it says:
    Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
    Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
    --A New Heaven and A New Earth, that is what is in view here. There are no dogs, sorcerers, unbelievers, etc. All of unbelievers are in the Lake of fire. That is exactly what it says in verse 8:

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
    --No one like this is around. There are no unbelievers. It is all a contrast to the new earth and the new heaven. All who have rejected Christ are in the Lake of Fire. They are described in verse 8, just quoted.
    So you claim. :) John was told to write in a chronological way. But you don't think he obeyed the Lord??

Go back and read 21:8. Now tell me where they are. You might want to read 20:11-15. Tell me again where they are. And what does 21:1,2 say? "a new heaven and a new earth." There are no unbelievers there.

Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right? (Gen.18:25). Unbelievers do not enter heaven. That is what the scriptures teach. "The secret things belong unto the Lord."
    "We shall ALL give account for our sin." The Bible makes this statement more than once.
    Believers will be judged for the works (whether good or "bad" at the Judgment Seat of Christ.
    Unbelievers will be judged according to their works at the GWT.
    Both are either received into heaven or rejected on the basis of their faith in Christ.
    I stated what I observed. You can always clarify your position if you think I am wrong.
    No. I am not the one in error. I said:
    Christ is the center of our faith. It is belief in him that gains us entrance to heaven, and unbelief that shuts us out of heaven. Deeds and misdeeds have nothing to do with it.
    --This is what the Bible teaches. Check John 14:6; 3:16-18; Eph.2:8,9, etc. Salvation is not by works as you seem to imply.

What error? I am not the one making the inference that salvation is by works.
    What in this statement do you find in error?

Belief in Christ was always the topic in as much as that is the opposite of unbelief in Christ.

Is that all you have to rely on for an assurance of salvation? How do you know what God should say to you or not? And on what covenant are you basing your salvation? Suppose you have the wrong one.
    That is a terrible thing to say--one of many ad hominems.
    You don't know what my views are since we have never really discussed that topic. Yet you take this opportunity to hurl insults anyway.

If Rev.22 discussed the subject of hell you would demonstrate it. Instead you relish in insults.
    As I have quoted to you it describes the new heaven and new earth, and also:

Rev 21:10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

This is not heaven; it is not hell. It is not speaking of salvation or belief in Christ or unbelief in Christ.
    I asked you. But you are clueless about this book, the Book of Revelation.

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,
    Your post 67 was basically no response at all as you ramble all over the place to avoid both the OP and specific answers to that question.

1]So....I will repeat the OP

2]I will repeat the questions that need to be answered.

3]Then I will deal with your rambling off topic cover up just to expose how you are less then honest in your responses once again..

4]I will deal with your off topic posting 1 item at a time so you cannot evade as you do.

You keep avoiding the real issue

Here is the OP; this thread is titled....Unbelief...or sin?

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,

Everyone gives an opinion.....I do....you do. Your false teaching is your opinion.

9. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK,

Jesus taught many things. Jesus taught many truths. For you to take out one or two verses and declare....here it is...this is what Jesus taught as if there was no other teaching is deranged thinking, This happens in fundamentalist circles....the same kind of person says...In MY BIBLE Jesus said......then they narrow the focus of what Jesus said to a distortion of their own minds , mis using the words of Jesus in total.
    That is what you are doing. We see it right here...lets see ;

Yes ...everyone knows that Jesus taught this truth. There is no other way, no other name as in Acts 4:12.
    It is not just a philosophy or mental idea being expressed. The reason He is the only way is He is unique, as Prophet, Priest, and King. He is the Mediator and Surety of all of the elect......that is why he is the only way.... Any truth Jesus taught about His person and work needs to be expanded, not limited as you try and misuse it.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This entire debate is silly. Pitting unbelief against all sins is just weird.

11. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor. 6:9. 'Do you not know that the unrighteous will not enter the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolators, nor adulterers.............nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.'

Gal. 5:19. 'Now the works of the flesh are evident which are adultery, fornication ......... drunkenness, revelries and the like; of which I tell you beforehand.......that those who practise such things will not enter the kingdom of God.'

Rev. 21:27. 'But there shall by no means enter it anything that defiles, or causes an abomination [cf. Prov. 16:16ff etc.] or a lie.......'

See also Matt. 25:41-43; Rev. 21:8 etc. It is men's sins that will keep them out of the heaven unless they are washed away in the blood of the Lamb.

• Like Like x 2
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Which translated into common language means:
    "unless they believe in Christ."
    For only then will their sins will be washed away in the blood.
    Without belief in Christ there is no hope for anyone to have "their sins forgiven or washed by the blood. First things first.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes this is an opinion, an ad hominem, a personal attack, an insult. etc.
    It deserves an infraction which you probably won't get.
    It is not debate and never will fall under the category of debate.
    It is what people do when they have nothing left to debate.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Christ died not only to save Jews but to save some from every tongue, tribe, and nation. What does that have to do with the op?
    Actually that is not what it says. It says "he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."

If every person, without distinction, has had his sins forgiven by Christ's death on the cross, how can anybody ever go to hell?

Sins forgiven = heaven.
    Sins unforgiven = hell.

Does "all" mean "everyone without exception?" I don't think so.

Mark 1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

Did every single person in all of Jerusalem and Judaea come out to Him and did each and every person of Jerusalem and Judaea without exception get baptized?

Of course not! Not if you believe Luke 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

Remember the three rules for understanding the bible.

1. Context.
    2. Context.
    3. Context.

Oh, and did I mention context? :)

#74 TCassidy, Oct 20, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, context. Did Jesus die for the the sins of the world? Yes I believe he did. Not according to Calvinism, but according to the Bible.
    Context: Mark 1:5--You would have us believe he died for only first century Christians. That would leave us all out wouldn't it? But maybe that is the meaning: "the world at that time."
    Context: "Only the elect." But it doesn't say that, so why infer that meaning.
    Context: "But for the sins of the whole world." Not the world of that time, not the world of the elect, not the world of Calvin, but all the world in all ages.

How is that possible?
    His blood is efficacious only to them that believe.
    Thus it is still only those that believe that will enter heaven; those that don't believe will be damned, according to the words of Christ.

16. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The formatting makes it very difficult to follow you.

So, I guess all that means you do believe every single person without exception from Jerusalem and Judaea went out to see Christ and every single one of them, without exception, was baptized?

And therefore, you also think Luke was wrong when he said some did not believe and be baptized?

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No, As Paul told the Philippian jailer:
    Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    --Nothing else but faith was required. Everyone in the jail could have been saved. Christ's blood was sufficient for them all, but it is only efficacious to those who believed--as the jailer did.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what does that have to do with Mark 1:5 when compared to Luke 7:30?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We started with 1Jn.2:2. "...but for the sins of the whole world."
    Eventually you came to:

So, I guess all that means you do believe every single person without exception from Jerusalem and Judaea went out to see Christ and every single one of them, without exception, was baptized?

With a process of elimination, salvation was not confined to the world of Judea, the world of the first century. I think we can agree on that.
    In the first part of the verse he says "and not for us only." What does that refer to?
    Does it refer to disciples, collective believers (John and those who he is writing to)? I believe the latter, and if that is true, then it is applicable to us as well. Thus the second part of the verse would be the rest of the world. The Bible is a timeless book. The principles are for every generation.

Luk 7:29 And all the people that heard him, and the publicans, justified God, being baptized with the baptism of John.
    Luk 7:30 But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.
    --I am not sure of your point here.

Perhaps it is better answered with Acts 2:41
    Act 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
    --"Hear" could be more equated with "received."

20. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "DHK,

I believe it is descriptive of your teaching...not an attack at all.
    You call what i say error all the time, and malign Cals all the time.....here from this thread alone