1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Understanding Romans 8:5-9

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Feb 10, 2012.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Icon, this ad nauseum claim and attack is getting old. Try, just try, to accept that anyone who does not abide by the Canons of Dordrecht may still in fact view the sovereignty of God as honorably and wonderfully as you yourself claim to do.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    in this very thread you have people claiming God does not know things and God does not predestine things...... maybe you want to address that first..if not...maybe you agree with those ideas?

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Icon,

Did they say God cannot know something (as in he is unable to) or are they saying he "chooses" not to know somethings? An important but subtle difference...for me. Although, it is still not MY position. I think that this is one of the false and misleading criticisms of OT. Most people who have some position approaching OT, (that I have encountered) have never said God is "unable to do or know something".

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Are you kidding me :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Seriously Dave, please provide me with more clarification for what your saying....I dont want to misunderstand you. Thanks.

#84 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea.....I will give him that even though he have ignored the countless times I have personally told him that he has the wrong views on what Salvation of Grace believers actually believe, so your right on the money Brother Iconoclast, this fellow rejects truth every day.... scripture has a name for this, but Horse Feathers will get all bent outa shape if I reveal it. :smilewinkgrin:

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi there EWF

Please stop claiming I am wrong unless you support your view from what scripture actually says.

EWF likes to disparage others and shift discussion to his opponents behavior. Pure twaddle folks, pure twaddle.

Calvinism is based on the logical impossibility of God predestining everything yet is not the author of sin. Pure twaddle, folks, pure twaddle.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Ben, for us to discuss your view, you must put it out there with clarity. Otherwise, your post simply says, I am happy with my undisclosed view.

But one thing is for sure, God was the first open theist, because He chose to not predestine everything, such as our sins.

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

ironic that You are perhaps the one that answers van the most, and yet you are reformed baptist, FAR from a Hyper Dispy!

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

can God chose to sin? IF he was able to 'will" that he NOT be able to know future events before they occured, to be 'stuck" in linear time processing just as we Humans now are....

Can God really claim to be the Alpha/omega, with NO begiining or end, and knowing all that has ever existed, and ever shall be?

the problem with Open theists seems to be they confuse knowing all and causing all?

God in His foreknowledge knows all things, some he orained/caused it to pass, others events were allowed to happen, But still God was NEVER "caught short/surprised" by the Future!

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

ONE MORE TIME!

calvinists do NOT hold that God predestined as the direct cause ALL events, and God is NOT author of Sin!

WHY are yopu so afraid to accept that God is sovereign, and he has divine attributes that ARE eternal, part of His very nature/being, and one is that he knows EVERYTHING that can be known/period?

#90 DaChaser1, Feb 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2012
  11. marke

marke New Member

I believe this does not adequately summarize the whole of the intended meaning of these passages. The truth presented is that the nature of the flesh does not seek nor desire to seek or to please God. The nature of the born again believer in Christ is perfect, "old things are passed away, behold all things are become new."

"Whosoever is born of God doth not sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin because he is born of God." Let's take a look at this for a minute before turning the leaf over, so to speak, and looking at the other side. What is good about a Christian? Paul said about himself, after his conversion, "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dewlleth no good thing..."

Christians may be saved, but they still sin. If Christians still sin, what of Christ in them and their "all things are become new" nature that "cannot sin"? Paul said, "Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dewlleth in me." (ROM. 7:20)

So, if we sin after we are saved, and it is no more I that do it, then whose responsibility is it and who is made accountable for the sin? We are, the saved who allow our flesh to cause us to sin. That is why we must "confess our sins, so the faithful and just Lord will forgive those sins and wash us again, making us once again free from all unrighteousness.

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)

A born again believer does not become filthy all over again by sin, because he has been once for all washed in the blood of the Lamb. But a believer can walk in sin, displeasing the Lord, bringing reproach on the savior and having to be disciplined by God, but he can never become unclean again after he is made clean at salvation.

"Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
    Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.
    Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all." (John 13:8-10)

Every born again believer is "clean every whit", but every born again believer sometimes walks in the flesh and must have his feet washed again to become once again "cleansed from all unrighteousness."

Can a believer walk in perfection without sinning? It is possible, but never likely for very long, in my opinion. 1 John tells us we know we still sin, so that is a given. But here is hope:

"This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye SHALL NOT fulfill the lust of the flesh." (Gal. 5:16)

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reply to fiction

Repeating deflections of the truth will avail us nothing. If the secondary cause is predestined, and it is because everything is predestined, then God is the author of sin.

If I am predestined to fire the gun, and the gun is predestined to discharge the bullet, and the bullet is predestined to smash into my foot, then God is still the author of my smashed foot, not me, not the gun, not the bullet. You cannot avoid the logical necessity of your position.

God is sovereign, but sovereign is not code for exhaustive determinism. God has divine attributes including saying what He means and meaning what He says.

I have not addressed the scope of God's knowledge because the Board Rulers in their sovereign judgment claim their view is orthodox and my view is unorthodox.

But God said now I know, which means He did not know beforehand. God said in forty days Nineveh will be overturned and so if He knew He would not overturn it would be a behavior inconsistent with His divine attributes of saying what He means and meaning what He says.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Marke, I see you seem to be hung up on John saying if we say we have no sin we lie, and yet when have no sin. The usual way this is answered is to say even though we sin, if we are in Christ, it is just as if we did not sin, for we are justified. However, how can we grow more spiritually like Christ if we do not confess our sins and strive to avoid them in the future? So we are to confess and repent and strive to be more Christ-like, even though our shortcomings are justified.

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Correct JF.....when they attack they are not concerned with what anyone really believes....they just lump everyone together....I anm no longer dispensational, much less Hyper:laugh::laugh::laugh:

15. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

This is the Bible answer!

God has predestined ALL things to happen after the pleasure of His own good will, that he has everything go according to His plans/purposes...

Some things He direct causes, others He uses intermediate agents!

NEVER a time when god says"Oh no, didn't see that coming, have to switch my Plans, think something else up now!"

16. marke

marke New Member

The NT speaks very highly of Christians. We are not referred to as drunks, whoremongers, adulterers, etc., including liars. We know all liars will go to the Lake of Fire with all other sinners (Rev. 21:8), but no Christian will be among them. I believe there is a reason for this which goes beyond theoretical. Matt. 7 tells us that a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit.

A Christian has in this life the remnants of the old nature which is referred to as the "flesh" which wars against the new nature. There is no good thing in our flesh and the flesh will not be accompanying us to heaven. We are told in Romans 6:11 to reckon the flesh to be dead and to see ourselves alive in Christ, able to walk in newness of life. We are also told that if we do not walk in the Spirit we will end up serving the flesh, which does not please God and which will bring forth death.

The key to victorious living is to be able to walk with God so we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. If we say this is impossible, we will never see the victory. We must reckon ourselves to be dead to the flesh. Hebrews tells us to "labor to enter into rest." That is not about salvation, except in the area of providing assurance to the believer, but is primarily about successful Christian living. When Israel came out of Egypt, they were "baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea" (1 Cor. 10) as a type of salvation, but the goal was not the wilderness, the goal was the promised land.

The promised land was not a type of heaven but a type of victorious Christian living. When we are encouraged to labor to enter into rest (Heb. 4:11) we are not being told to labor to enter into heaven but to labor to enter into victorious living in Christ, where He will fight our battles against the world, the flesh, and the devil for us.

#96 marke, Feb 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012