1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Understanding Terms about Hell

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    These would be classic Baptist understanding of terms in the Bible dealing with "hell" from an evangelical/conservative position:

G'Hinnom (Gehennah) was a burning OT idol-pit and by Jesus day, garbage dump. He used it as an illustration of eternal punishment (smoke of torment goes up for ever and ever and ever); worm dies not . .

Hades (hell in KJV, sadly) Greek word for place of punishment. Think Rich man and Eleazar.

Sheol (hell/grave) and may have both such meanings depending on context

Lake of Fire - place of final eternal torment and judgment. Death and Hades cast into it.

Tartarus is a place of dark punishment for some of the fallen angels

We use ALL of these terms interchangeably for "hell" and this creates GREAT confusion

2. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Dr. Bob,

Amen! Preaching it! [​IMG]

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

4 of these things, belong together.
    4 of these things are kinda the same.
    1 of these things is doing its own thing!
    Now its time to play Bob's game...
    It's time to play Bob's game!

Only baptists call the lake of fire hell, the Bible does not do that. It is sometimes referred to as a sea, but not hell.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually we use the term "hell" to refer to all of these as generic terms. Confusion because of the dependence on the AV.

Hades/Hell is cast into the Lake of Fire, consumed by it. Would that not make the Lake of Fire the "ultimate" hell?

5. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

No, that would make the Lake of Fire the "ultimate" Lake of Fire, and Hell the ultimate "Hell". There would be no confusion.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because a translation chose a word "hell" does NOT make it accurate. That is why I LOVE many MV's who use the various correct/inspired words.

I have a bathtub with water and pour a bucket of water into it (same substance), what do I have? The substance has not changed.

Read the descriptions Jesus gave of Hades that will be poured into the Lake of Fire. SAME description. The substance is not changed.

Don't get hung up on the AV words. THAT is confusing.

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

True Bob.
    Hell/Lake of Fire both are places of fiery torment.
    I echo your sentiment. Just because a translator chose a certain word, does not make it accurate. Like Baptist/Immerse huh?
    You have gotten so hung up on transliterations that, that mind set has clouded your judgement, IMO.
    And one last thing.
    You said,
    "Read the descriptions Jesus gave of Hades that will be poured into the Lake of Fire. SAME description. The substance is not changed."

Not the same description.

Fiery. Yes. Torment. Yes. Eternal? No.
    The mere fact that hell is swallowed up in the Lake of Fire shows it is destroyed in that Lake. Not eternal, in this sense.
    Other than that you did fine. Except maybe the AV part. But this is not the forum for that.
    And I think you know that so why even mention it? ;)
    In His service;
    Jim

8. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't mind discussing bible versions out in the open. Bob brings up an interesting point in his post...
    He loves to have many bibles to choose from, so he can decide which is right. What is the determining factor for which is right, Bob?

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hell becomes a part of the Lake of Fire. Therefore, since the Lake of Fire is eternal, wouldn't this also indicate hell is eternal?

10. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Perhaps the original language. The word "world" is also mis-translated in the KJV.

11. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I guess you might kinda say that the flames of Hell are eternal. (providing hellfire is of the same essence as LOF fire, and LOF fire doesn't burn it up - pure speculation) But Hell, as a place in the heart of the earth, ceases to be. (Like a fish bowl emptied out into the ocean.) I don't believe the new Earth (after the Kingdom) will have a place like Hell inside it, so from that perspective, Hell is not eternal. However, contrary to popular thought, the Earth (Of course in a recreated state) is eternal.

One thing is certain Hell is not the eternal abode of the damned, (in whatever state it's flames and other contents :confused: end up). The final place the damned is the LOF.

Lacy