1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Understanding the 1000yr Reign?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Why only a 1000yr reign?

Should this literal reign be understood as the complete fulfillment of the Eschatological Davidic reign?

If so, Why only a 1000yrs?

What am I missing? :BangHead:

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just as everyone dies because we all belong to Adam, everyone who belongs to Christ will be given new life. But there is an order to this resurrection: Christ was raised as the first of the harvest; then all who belong to Christ will be raised when he comes back.

After that the end will come, when he will turn the Kingdom over to God the Father, having destroyed every ruler and authority and power. For Christ must reign until he humbles all his enemies beneath his feet. And the last enemy to be destroyed is death.
    1 Corinthians 15:22-26 NLT

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So my Amil brother is not with me? That's ok. :thumbs:

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So much of Revelation is symbolic. Why can't the 1000 year reign be viewed as a literal reign of an uncountable number of years? We know the Jews used the number "1000" in such a way.

For those who claim they are taking scripture "literally" in their understanding of the 1000 year reign, why are we not looking for a real dragon? Or a real woman with a real child, fleeing from the real dragon? Why are we not looking for a beast with 10 horns? The little horn?

The reason is, you understand that language to be symbolic. You understand these images to represent Kingdoms or Kings or the church.

Be careful with the claim of "literal" interpretation. It is very hard to be consistent when it comes to Revelation.

peace to you:praying:

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    why are we not looking for thirteen armadillos? Or a man with two children, fleeing from the thirteen armadillos? Why are we not looking for forty nine giraffes with 100 horns? The twenty two big horns?

It is very hard to be consistent when it comes to Revelation.:laugh:

6. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    ????????

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Because that's what it says. Why 12 tribes? Or four gospels? Or six days of creation? Or 24 hour days?

8. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    You recognize the use of symbolism in the book of Revelation, don't you? Didn't the Jews use the number "1000" symbolically to represent undetermined, long periods of time?

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes. You recognize literalism in the book of Revelation don't you?

Sometimes, but not always. Sometimes 1000 is 1000.

10. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Are we then to understand that this 1000yr reign as the fulfillment of the "forever reign" that was promised to David?

11. Allan

Allan Active Member

I would say so.

I mean, Christ establishes for 1000 years the Davidic riegn promised unto the Jews and then turns that over to God (a continuence of that riegn) that will never end. Not that Christ will die but that that which was given to him will be given back to the Father who will reign forever and ever. And it will go from glory unto glory

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Thanks Allan, but your proposal doesn't address the "forever" in reference to Christ.

Here's Luke 1:32, 33:

"He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end." (TNIV, emphasis mine)

But when Jesus hands back the kingdom to the Father, he is not reigning.

13. skypair

skypair Active Member

It is the first 1000 years of it. Then comes the New Earth upon which Christ/God will reign forever after David. I beleive that David and Jesus throne will be delivered up to God and God will be "all in all" meaning that Jesus and God will be one physically in that world. His throne will be New Jerusalem from whence He will rule the earth.

skypair

14. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    There appears much more symbolism than literalism in the book of Revelation.
    If all the references to various events in the surrounding passages are symbolic, it would seem likely that the reference to the "1000" year reign is symbolic as well; if not, there must be some kind of indication in scripture that it is literal. I haven't seen that.

15. Allan

Allan Active Member

No, the other passages concerning the 1000 years are seen quite clearly as sybolic in the way it is written.

But when it states he will riegn for a thousand years that is quite literalistic.

16. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

skypair, Are you a modalist?

What are you saying? I'm getting only opinions and no Scripture.

17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC;
    Wouldn't you say that the reign over house of Jacob and the reign over the earth would or could be two different things? Will the house of Jacob end with the end of this world? If so why?
    MB

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Isa 9:7 Of the increase of [his] government and peace [there shall be] no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.

Do you know what "from henceforth" means?

Jhn 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Jhn 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

Luk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

Luk 1:33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

How can anyone believe we are not under the "new" covenant? That covenant was to Israel, the Gentiles were grafted into, where they were no longer twain, but one. How can you say and believe for sure that God will establish a kingdom for Israel for 1000 years, while at the same time saying that Israel refused Christ, so the "new" covenant time for Israel was changed by God to end times??? This is not scripture.

Hbr 10:20By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;

You do need to give scripture where God said He would give the "new" covenant to the Gentiles first, if you are going to believe that it is still to come to Israel?

Jer 31:31¶Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Jer 31:32Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day [that] I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:

Jer 31:34And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Has our sins been covered not to be remembered against us anymore, and how were they covered. Most of all, how come its to us (Gentiles), and not Israel now, instead of end times. Who changed it???

I can see this trend happening with most denominations. They want to be political correct and make a way for Israel, who rejected Jesus, so they are now saying its going to happen in the "end times". I just want to know who has the authority to change what God said, about who the "new" covenant would be made to?

Don't make the same mistake that Israel made, when the Lord came on earth to die for sins and fulfill God's promise to Israel.

BBob,

#18 Brother Bob, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2008
  19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

MB, I believe in a literal millennial reign because the Bible teaches it.

What I'm wanting some solid Scripture on is Messiah reigning on the Davidic throne "forever."

What does Scripture say? Does "forever" not mean forever anymore?

20. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

So God is done with ethnic Israel?

The church has replaced Israel?

All the promises to Israel have been fulfilled in the church who is now spiritual Israel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.