1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unfaithful Deacons!

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by cojosh, Nov 30, 2005.

1. cojosh

cojosh New Member

This might be an odd subject, but I have some questions about this.

How should a church deal with deacons that are not fulfilling their responsibilities?

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

First, you have to ask:

1) Were they given their responsibilities before being elected as deacons?
    2) Were they given any training?
    3) Has the pastor spoken to them about their responsibilities?
    4) Are they saved?

The answers to these questions should be evaluated before proceeding. I am currently experiencing the same issue at my church and have been deciding what to do. Unfortunately, there is no forum to bring it up so I have to go to my pastor directly which I don't have a problem with, but sometimes I think I'm the only one who has a problem with deacons who don't come to church or do anything else.

Some people want to be deacons just to say they are deacons.

3. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Wow over number four.

4. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Brother Ian,

thanks for your very helpful post. The deacon that is being unfaithful was ordained before the pastor or I arrived. I don't believe they were trained before they were placed into that position. Yes, the pastor has spoke to him about the responsibilities and has even went through a training course with the deacons. Are they saved? I hope so! I'm afraid that if this problem isn't settled that it will hinder God blessings on the church.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First find out what their responsibilities are.
    Deacons are a varied bunch.
    Some do some things well, and other things not so well.
    The deacon is not (necessarily) a jack-of-all-trades job title.
    To make all deacons perform the same duties wastes the abilities of those deacons that perform highly in a specific ministry duty.

(I remember the time when I was given the duty of taking care of a large group of three to four year olds during a special service. When the extended meeting was finally over the kids were not the only ones crying
    ...mercy is not high on my list of spiritual gifts.)

Second, approach that brother and let him know your expectations.
    No use getting hot over something that may have been an oversight or misunderstanding.

Third, go to the pastor and express your concern. Probably would be best to make it a special meeting with him; take him out for a meal (Baptists always work better with a full stomach).
    These next two suggestions are what people usually do first.
    They should never even be on the list!

Fourth, complain to friends and anyone just hanging around in the lobby of the church.

Fifth, make it a public issue; tell everyone you know what a bad job your church does.

Rob

6. cojosh

cojosh New Member

Thanks Deacon,

very helpful. The most visual problem with this deacon, that I am referring to, is that he isn't faithful to church. If he isn't fulfilling that then I don't think he is being faithful as a servant to the members. He might come once a month.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Approach him as a brother, not an accuser.
    Maybe he's having a problem.

...On the other hand, maybe he's working a job that requires him to be away.

One of our deacons works a job that is two weeks on and two weeks off (may sound to good to be true but the time away is far away).

Rob

8. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

If they aren't taking their position seriously or their lives do not reflect their professed beliefs I think they should be quietly removed.

9. Karen

Karen Active Member

It's very possible that he has a problem which prevents him. Maybe he has already made the pastor aware of it.
    Just one example of a million different scenarios: deacons in my acquaintance have needed to stay at home to care for very elderly family members living with them. Home health care workers only come a very few hours a week, usually.
    Jobs, illness. All kinds of things.

What Deacon said: approach him as a brother, not as an accuser. I will add, be prepared to help him through a difficult situation.

Karen

10. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

Cojosh,

I would think that the pastor talking to the man would answer the questions posed. Certanily talking to him is the first order of business. He may not know what his expectations are. You can't assume anything especially since he was ordained before you or the pastor got there.

Do you have a rotation plan for deacons? In other words, do they serve for a period of time and then are replaced? For example, serve 3 years, off for at least one year before serving again?

Texas Sky, of course you have to talk to him about his salvation. Just because he is a deacon and a church member doesn't mean he's saved. There are many lost church members all accross the world.

Cojosh, I somehow understood that this man has been talked to about this pattern. I'm not sure why. Talk to him again and outline his responsibilities and expectations. He can be given an opportunity to change his ways, but if he doesn't comply, he must be removed.

I would find it a bit strange if this man was in a situation where his job would prevent him from attending church and he hasn't informed the pastor, but that goes again to the expectations that he was given. If he is involved in a work situation that prevents him from attending regularly, he should step down simnply because he is not available to the people he is serving.

Remember, first and foremost, deacons are servants.