1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Union Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know about other parts of the country, but here in NY, there are several union, federated,community, ect churches. Basically its two or maybe three denomination churches which have merge into one church. For example, Bap and UCC; Methodist & Presb, ect.
    Normally these are small churches out in the middle of nowhere and neither congregation can support a church, but by combining they are able to survive.

Would you consider joining a union church. If you are a pastor would you consider taking the pastorate of such a church?

Why or why not?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

We have churches here like that too. All are rural churches with congregations too small to support a building. They are not one congregation though. It works two ways, one the two congregations meet at two different times, say one will worship at 10 am and the other might worship at 11:30. Or as in one church I know of, one congregation worships in the full complete basement and the other upstairs, so they both have the same worship time. I haven't seen any of them unite the two different congregations into one when they are different denominations. Each has their own pastor, of their denomination.

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with a church having an unpaid preacher. As I recall the Apostle Paul made tents for a living.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I didn't see either post say anything about the pastors pay. Both churches I had in mind when I posted have paid pastors, for both denominations. Pastors have to live and feed and clothe their children too like everyone else.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where we pastored in Wisconsin, there were many "federated" or "union" churches. They reflected (1) the majority view of the members on doctrinal issues and (2) the present view of the pastor - whatever denominational background he/she had.

Almost all had a portion "Baptist" but lost all salt/light to the other consolidated groups. While it might appear a good church TODAY, one has no guarantee what will happen with the next pastor, etc.

6. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

In response to the part of your posting that asked whether those of us who are pastors would accept such a church, I would have to answer that even though I am in some things ecumenical, for me there are some "bottom lines" that I could not see compromising -- among them the evangelical experience of conversion, believer's baptism, and the autonomy of the congregation.

I am just NOT going to sprinkle babies!!