1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Union membership is down

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Years ago I worked in a smallish sized union tool and die shop. Our contracts went in three year cycles. It was amazing how almost everyone had good annual reviews for the first two years. We were model employees. On that third year nobody could do anything right, and we were all lucky to have a job.:laugh:

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is about union membership decreasing.

I'm not sure who hijacked it, but lets disucss why membership is down

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Along this line, our new governor (Nikki Haley) is being sued by the unions for saying that she intends to keep the unions out of SC by all legal means.

Funny that they (unions) simply don't like RTW states.

Her statement relates to the new Boeing plant to be constructed in the Charleston area.

Interesting that the unions want to sue her to shut her up - typical liberal tactics.

4. billwald

billwald New Member

In New Jersey if you know your local Mob boss . . . .

You all keep track of this thread and remind me in five years when the unemployment is still 10% and jobs are down to 10 bucks an hour how wonderful it is to live in a RTW state. If we can still afford to be on line, that is.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, bookmark it or put it into your "favorites" and we will keep this in mind

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Overall they are down but I think this probably matches the westward and southward migration patterns we have been seeing from the Northeast and Midwest. The industries that once had mostly union workers are not as strong as they once were or those industries have moved to right to work states. Unions have a history of actually helping and shaping the working environments we see today and for that we can be grateful. Since many of the things they fought for are now state or federally mandated there is not as much need for them as there once was. That being said, it turns out they were right (for the most part) about NAFTA and CAFTA though to partner with them on this item meant partnering with them in areas many where uncomfortable doing. Like every other human institution there are pros and cons but I think reading into scripture that unions are ungodly is neither fair to union members or the Bible.

FTR - I have never been nor am I now in a union

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: :applause: (bold my emphasis)

And neither have I

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

You have to work awfully hard to justify what unions have done to rust belt states.

Say what you want. Unions kill jobs.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that is true in this era, but would you say unions were a good thing a century ago?

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

By and large, yes. They helped end some needed abuses.

Now? More often than not, they're just a cash cow for greedy people who have aversion to hard work.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you mean very young children working, 15 hour days x 6 days per week, unsafe conditions, ect ??

Well, they were wrong, absolutely wrong - even if they suffered abuse and unions were the only way to change things.

Well, at lest according to another poster in this thread :tonofbricks:

12. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Not every union. Some public safety workers are prohibited by law from striking.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm with talk show host Neal Boortz on the union issue. If you want to unionize, do so. Picket, whine, and collectively bargain all you want.

And if you own the business and don't want union employees, and you decide to fire them, that's your perogative as well.

The line I draw is with government employees. It should be illegal for them to unionize.

If it were outlawed, our states would instantly be in profoundly better shape. Over the long haul, hundreds of billions of dollars would be saved.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Syracuse Hancock International Airport is patrolled by City of Syracuse Police Dept - mind you - there are requirements from the Dept of Homeland Security. What I understand is there is a grant from HLS to help pay the police. However, here is the problem - most of the police patrolling the airport are on OVERTIME! With regular pay, OT pay, FICA and other deductions - it cost the City about $60 an hour per officer. Our mayor has a great ideal - farm the airport security out to a private security firm (would have to be approved by HLS). Who is making the most noise - the Police Union - they demand that any change be negotiated over the bargaining table.

Would you want to take a guess as to what Political party the Mayor is?

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody? Sometime it can be the right thing to do. I was a part of a school district where the superintendent kept getting pay raises such as 8% per year and the teachers were given 0% during the same time. Eventually when the teachers contract had not been settled for 3 years, the teachers went on strike. It went to arbitration and the contract was settled with back pay at 18% over the three year period.

Three years later the superintendent told the faculty they needed to be prepared to receive a 0.5% pay cut. The administration had just been given an 8% pay increase about one month earlier. So someone asked if the administration was willing to take the same pay raise as he was asking the faculty to do. He said, "that is a different story." Everyone laughed and the meeting was dismissed a few minutes later. The following year I left the school and within just a few years almost every faculty member left or retired. Today they have a hard time getting any faculty members because of what happened several years ago. Even the princip[al who went to that high school as a youngster left the school. He had already been there about 15 years.

Imagine what the students got from the taxpayers--nothing but a higher paid superintendent. The classroom was left with less money and resources than before when they had an excellent administrator.

Leadership is about being last not first. That is scriptural.

Being a part of the union supported that action.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.