1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unitarian argument: Jesus is called adoni

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Olivencia, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

A few months ago I responded to a Unitarian argument that attempted to prove that Christ is not God. It read that:
    Adonai is the title of Deity and adoni never designates Deity. Jesus is referred to as adoni in Psalms 110:1 but never Adonai.

The assertion that "adoni never designates Deity" is false. The following verses from Judges 6 reveal two things as it relates to this discussion.
    1. The angel of the LORD is in fact the LORD Himself.
    2. Since the angel of the LORD is YHWH by calling the angel of the LORD "adoni" YHWH is referred to as "adoni". Thus the Unitarian argument is false.

Verse 12 - The angel of the LORD appears unto Gideon.
    Verse 14 - The angel is described as YHWH which spoke unto Gideon.
    Verse 17, 18 - Gideon asks "Him" (angel of the LORD who is YHWH) not to depart.
    Verse 18 - Angel of the LORD who is YHWH says He will wait until Gideon returns.
    Verse 19 - Gideon brings out the food to the angel of the LORD who is YHWH under the oak. This is where the angel of the LORD who is YHWH was originally (Verse 11).
    Verses 20-22 - Describes what the angel of the LORD who is YHWH did to Gideons offer.
    In Judges 6:13 Gideon refers to the angel of the LORD as adoni. Thus since the angel of the LORD is YHWH then by referring to the angel of the LORD as adoni Gideon was referring to YHWH as adoni.

The Unitarian's response to this was that Exodus 33:20 states, There shall no man see Me, and live (Exodus 33:20). I responded by saying that God can so choose to manifest Himself in a way whereby people can see Him (and live). Exodus 24:10 reads, "And they saw the God of Israel". Exodus 24:11 reads, "They saw God" - (cf. John 6:46). But we know they were not killed for seeing Him. In fact, because Gideon saw the angel of the LORD who is YHWH he was terrified that he would die (Judges 6:22). Why would Gideon be terrified of dying if he simply saw the angel of the LORD and why would YHWH have to assure him with words such as "peace" and "fear not" and then state that Gideon would "not die" if the the angel of the LORD was not YHWH Himself?

2. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

"There shall no man see Me, and live (Exodus 33:20)" I believe that God the Father cannot be seen in His fullness and we live. When they were at Mt Sinia they heard God talking and begged that He stop! When Jesus was on the Mt of transfiguration, God the Father spoke and Peter fell on his face terrified. BUT when Jesus was in Heaven and John saw Jesus glorified he feel down as a dead man too.

3. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

Good points.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

One of my favorite verses for the Jehovah's Witnesses who dishonor God this way. John 5:23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.