1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Universalism

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Yelsew, May 24, 2003.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From GH:
    And what do we teach especially those who refuse to believe? Who especially reject Jesus and His love?

That it's okay, Jesus loves them anyway, and there is a spot in heaven for them even though they reject it?

Jesus doesn't say that in His book....

2. GH

GH New Member

And what do we teach especially those who refuse to believe? Who especially reject Jesus and His love?

That it's okay, Jesus loves them anyway, and there is a spot in heaven for them even though they reject it?

Jesus doesn't say that in His book....
    </font>[/QUOTE]Brother, you DO know that Jesus spoke of judgement to the religious people, don't you?

He came to show the love of the Father. It isn't about rejection, it's about love.

Peace, GH

3. GH

GH New Member

His love is so huge. He WANTS us to pray that all will come to a knowledge of the truth:

1 Corinthians 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

1 Timothy 2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
    3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; 6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

4. GH

GH New Member

Tuor, let's not be DE-Tuored here. The Spirit is able to make one stand. Brother, you just don't want to sin when you've been confronted with the Spirit of the Living God!

Christ sets the captive free and leads us OUT of captivity. Go and tell the Good News, Tuor, and stop preaching sin and hell.

IT IS HIS KINDNESS THAT BRINGS US TO REPENTENCE.

Blessings upon you [​IMG]

GH

5. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

No. Have you actually read anything I posted? Check out middle knowledge, it will help you.

Well, it is not Biblical, it is more of Ken's hope. I don't know how you are more grounded. You really haven't dealt with the problems I have laid out to you, especially from Scripture. You seem to just ignore it. Do you follow Berkeley in philosophy? You sure seem to, if you don't perceive something it must not really exist. Scripture is there that is absolutely contrary to your position for which you have no adequate response. Thus your view is not acceptable, seeing that you do not address the contrary evidence satisfactorily.

Neal

6. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Makes no sense if it has no impact anyway. God must just want us to go through the motions. :rolleyes:

Neal

7. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Ken,

I have tried to be nice to you. Why do you intentionally misrepresent what I believe? I have already addressed open theism and my relation to it. Check out middle knowledge and counterfactuals and you will understand more of what I believe. Until then, please don't tell me what I believe.

By the way, what I believe is no where near close to deism. Look it up first to see what it means. Before you tell me what I believe know what you are talking about. I have never once affirmed that God absent from His creation, which is what deism is, and you know this. You know that I don't believe that God merely sits back and watches what happens. You know the opposite is true from looking at my responses concerning prayer. God is both proactive and reactive. And there is nothing that surprises Him, He knows everything, including counterfactuals. I can't believe you would stoop to intentional misrepresentation. [​IMG]

Neal

[ May 25, 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: neal4christ ]

8. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Ken, did you not quote this supporting your position?

You want to rethink whether you attributed sin to Almighty God?

Neal

P.S. My position does not attribute sin to God or say that He did not know it would happen. Your position mandates that God had to will sin, thus be the source of it. Mine does not. I propose that this is the best possible situation with other beings with the power of choice. Did God know it would happen? Yes. Is God the source of sin? Can't be, He wouldn't be God. Sin is the result of beings with the power of choice.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know who Berkeley is.

I apologize that my debating skills are not up to your level. I can only use the limited skills that I have. [​IMG] You are obviously better than I am at wielding the weapons of debate.

For the time being at least I am withdrawing from the debate field of war.

Praise be unto God for salvation through the finished work of Christ Jesus. \o/

10. GH

GH New Member

God must just want us to go through the motions. :rolleyes:

Neal [/QB][/QUOTE]

Neal, that's the most asinine thing I ever heard anyone say on these boards. Do you think so little of that scripture? So be it.

Love in Him, GH

11. Eladar

Eladar New Member

From an extremist position, a moderate position must surely appear extreme.

12. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Do you think so little of God? If you could explain what prayer is for other than just being commanded to do it, I would truly appreciate it. If it is for nothing other than because we have to, you lose the point of prayer.

Neal

13. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

There is no need to apologize. I am not trying to imply anything or to try to act like I am better. I just want a satisfactory response to the large amount of evidence contrary to your position. As yet, you have not really addressed it much. I am not a good debater by any means. But for this topic, it is not debate tactics, it is logic and evidence that stand looming over the universalist position.

I apologize if I have either explicitly or implicitly put you down, Ken. I have tried hard not to attack you, but to engage your position. I look forward to seeing you later.

Neal

14. GH

GH New Member

From an extremist position, a moderate position must surely appear extreme. </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry, Tuor, I don't know what that means. For me there are only two positions: redeemed and you know it and redeemed and you don't know it.

Fear not, fear not, fear not. I'll stick with being led out of captivity through Christ. [​IMG]

Peace on you, GH

15. GH

GH New Member

Do you think so little of God? If you could explain what prayer is for other than just being commanded to do it, I would truly appreciate it. If it is for nothing other than because we have to, you lose the point of prayer.

Neal
    </font>[/QUOTE]How about exhorted to do it?

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    from GH:
    Yup, I do know that He came to show the love of the Father, that whosoever believeth on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

And yet, he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

That's what you would deny, GH: That Jesus even said this, much less that it's true. Unfortunately, that verse--Jesus' own words--do speak of rejection.

Deny it all you want. It'll still be there when you're done denying it.

I worship a God who doesn't want anyone to perish, so He sent His only begotten son to die on the cross for us. Yet even though He doesn't want anyone to perish, He won't accept those that don't accept Him. That's what the Bible teaches, plain and simple.

17. Me2

Me2 New Member

Yup, I do know that He came to show the love of the Father, that whosoever believeth on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

And yet, he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

I dont see those statements in their presented context as universal but to a very specific group of people.

God chooses whom will carry his seed. We accept Jesus as propitiator or refuse his intercession on our behalf. the statements were to two groups of peoples within Gods family.
    those who would be obedient to christ as their propitiator and to those of the disobedient not choosing to humble themselves and accept Jesus christ as their propitiator.

universalism does not reflect its application here for it specifically points out "those within the family". as is such with many other scriptures.

the world outside the family of God is not asked to believe in jesus as their christ and propitiator. Only those who have already received the fathers "seed". of those. some believe in jesus as their christ. some dont.

Me2

18. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Me2,
    Just as "whosoever believeth" is a non specific group, the "he that believeth nots" is is just as non specific. Scriptures never reveal the size or identity of either group. It is not for man to know.

The facts:
    God's Grace covers ALL
    God's Love is for ALL
    God's Mercy is for ALL
    God's Justice is for ALL
    God's Atonement is For ALL
    God's Desire is for ALL
    God's Wrath is for those who refuse to believe, confess and repent.
    God's Salvation is for those who believe, Confess and repent.

"ALL" is specific
    "For those who" is non specific.

19. GH

GH New Member

Just as "whosoever believeth" is a non specific group, the "he that believeth nots" is is just as non specific. Scriptures never reveal the size or identity of either group. It is not for man to know.

The facts:
    God's Grace covers ALL
    God's Love is for ALL
    God's Mercy is for ALL
    God's Justice is for ALL
    God's Atonement is For ALL
    God's Desire is for ALL
    God's Wrath is for those who refuse to believe, confess and repent.
    God's Salvation is for those who believe, Confess and repent.

"ALL" is specific
    "For those who" is non specific.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Dear Yel, (and Don - for this applies to your post to me as well)

Jesus came to the Israel of God as their long-awaited Messiah. He spoke to them under the law. He showed them a God they did not know. One who loves. The rejection he spoke of surely happened, for they rejected Him. They wanted the law and to stay under the law. They chose darkness over light. This was God's choosing for Paul said that God hardened them. Really, he said that. A partial hardening (for SOME did see Christ as Messiah) occurred for the glory and honor of God. The gospel went out to the gentiles. Paul, our Apostle to the gentiles, taught universal reconciliation.

We're talking about God's Plan unfolding here. His plan and His timing. It ain't over yet. There are ages to come where He will still be reconciling.

BTW, didn't Jesus descend into hell and preach? He holds the keys to death and hades. He chooses to save, reconcile and restore. It is His nature. Though He is rejected - the nation of Israel rejected Him - He does not reject forever. For Paul says in Romans that ALL OF ISRAEL WILL BE SAVED.

Yelly, you mentioned earlier on the other board that Thomas didn't see and Jesus said blessed is he who doesn't see but believes. I don't think He was mad at Thomas, do you? The truth is that those who see ARE happy - they are blessed. Aren't you happy because you have not seen, but believe? Christ was making an important distinction, but He didn't condemn Thomas for not believing. The Church has taught incorrectly. Again, go outside the camp (organized Phariasical religious groups) and meet Him one on one. You will come out leaning on the BELOVED.

God bless you in your journey, GH

[ May 26, 2003, 08:26 AM: Message edited by: GH ]

20. Me2

Me2 New Member

I agree with those statements that GH spoke of that the statements were general in nature but specific to only those being spoken towards.

universal statements are purposefully interjected into the bible that cannot be refutted as including all.

yet jesus in the OT spoke to a specific group. the "lost". yet within the lost were still to be the two groups within Gods kingdom.

as in the NT. the specific group were more defined into two catagories. those who could hear were either disobedient (cursed,reprobate) children within the family. and obedient "children" who could more deeply understand Gods messages.

you guys are seeming to confuse even Gods sovereignty and attributes by throwing your misunderstanding of "hell" into your doctrines and all of a sudden all reprobates are destined to die and be seperated from God. (HIS OWN CHILDREN)
    when really they are just temporarily following their own flesh and attempting to find and please their God "their way".

"hell" could be referred to as the battleground which contains satan, the Holy spirit, the believers will and the believers old fleshly memories and experiences.
    somebody will win and somebody will lose. and we know that God gave us the law to kill our old fleshly desires. that satan is the accusor and temptor, and the Holy spirit is the controlling teacher within this spiritual menagerie.

and still if the person does not contain Gods seed. they dont know a hoot about any of these thing we speak of. there specific terms and descriptors that are only recognized between believers. wether obedient or reprobates.
    those were the specific groups. not even mentioning people outside Gods family that were rarely spoken of in the scriptures.

if you guys are stuck on an "all" statement in the NT. mention one or a few at a time and we'll discuss it.
    but not throwing out 100 quotes and expecting a serious reply. while all is mentioned at times as the family only (obedient and disobedient).
    others are general in natural encompassing all of mankind (and over a multiple span of ages).

Me2

[ May 26, 2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Me2 ]