1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Universalism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mandym, Feb 27, 2011.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. mandym

mandym New Member

With all due repsect then we have nothing further to discuss on this issue. God Bless

3. mandym

mandym New Member

Thanks for posting this. It affirms what the publisher already made know. Bell needs our prayers as do all those who will read this mess and follow it.

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. This contradicts other reports I have read.

If this is accurate, then I disagree with Bell. However, I'll wait until I read Bell's own words in context before I made any final judgements.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep - Tim is a very accurate, well-read reviewer. He got a preview copy of the book specifically for reviewing it. He's been spot on with reviews before and I have no doubt that he's spot on with this one as well. I'm not going to read it because I have no desire to add profits to a book that I disagree with. If someone were to give it to me, that would be a different story. I've done the same with other books that I knew I'd disagree with - not purchase them but have had people give them to me so that I could review them and post my thoughts.

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

It appears that this thread is working as a sorting mechanism to determine who holds a biblical perspective of hell and who does not, plus it has the side issue of drawing out heretics with blanket statements that are at the very least uninformed.

I find it somewhat amusing and ironic that those who disavow the "Emerging Church Movement" are all about Rob Bell, who IS a sure leader in the Emerging movement, just because Bell is not a Calvinist. That is SHALLOW THEOLOGY at its finest!

Bell indeed set the theological world on its ear with his new book. Hints in previous works that pointed to a universal view are now fleshed out and in public for all to see. His declaration, though emotionally satisfying to those who have issues with "Big Bad Bully God" are not scriptural.

Here are a couple pertinent links for further reading.

http://www.albertmohler.com/2011/03/01/universalism-as-a-lure-the-emerging-case-of-rob-bell/

http://www.albertmohler.com/2011/03/08/doing-away-with-hell-part-one/
    http://www.albertmohler.com/2004/12/01/hell-under-fire-part-two/
    http://www.albertmohler.com/2009/07...fear-of-hell-the-pope-redefines-the-doctrine/
    http://www.albertmohler.com/2008/08/18/remodeling-hell-americans-redefine-the-doctrine/

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

That is the mature approach BB, read for yourself all the entire book, and then make an informed decision as to the message being communicated by the author.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why waste your time on the proven heretical departures of the faith by Rob Bell? Why not read more profitable books which are actually Christian in in content? Why not read from Orthodox authors (and I don't,of course mean Greek or Russian Orthodox).

We have a finite number of years on the earth. Why waste time with Bible-deniers?

#48 Rippon, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011
  9. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For that matter, why think for yourself?

Why search things out to see if they are true?

Why bother reading the scriptures when someone else can tell you what to do?

Let's just elect a pope and go our merry way.

10. quantumfaith

Thank you BB, it just seems as if I constantly get "Rips" knickers in a knot. He has made me his mission.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be paranoid QF. Just answer my questions that I posed.What's so hard about that? Aren't they reasonable queries?

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the life of me,I can't reconcile how my post is related to your questions.

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now Now boys.....after youve had your 1st heart attack or survive a fight with cancer, you will better understand ole Brother Rippons logic I'm thinking.

14. quantumfaith

You obviously lack at least some powers of penetrating observation. I am in ABSOLUTELY in no way "paranoid" where you are concerned. But I am observant. BTW, I will answer you (or anyone) only when I am so inclined. (and freely choose to do so)

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good. Now you realize that I haven't made you my mission. :laugh:

Thanks for your nonresponsive reply. My questions must be very difficult.

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would read the book if I could read like some people can read. I've heard that RJ Rushdoony read a book a day (400 page variaty) for his entire adult life.

But given that, I, like Rippon and others, have limited time, so I will not be reading this book, but will instead rely on high-quality reviews by avid readers such as Tim Challies to gage my reaction.

Now if any Bell defenders would like to point us to a BIBLICALY based review of the book that acquits Mr. Bell of heresy, please do so.

17. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For those interested in learning more about Rob Bell, his NOOMA videos are popular and deal with some tough spiritual issues.

There will be those who persecute any "new" thing that does not conform with their cultural view of Christianity and folks are free to do that if they want. I'm not sure what spiritual or eternal value they get out of that but that is their prerogative if that is how they want to spend their time.

18. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #58 Gold Dragon, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011
  19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing really "new" under the sun --heresies included.

I don't know why you said "their cultural view of Christianity",Mr. Bell is not in line with biblical theology. And here it's not a Calvinist vs.Arminian deal. I know the Apostle Paul would not recognize Mr.Bell as being a Christian in the New Testament --hence, biblical sense.

No one should confuse Rob Bell's teachings with the beliefs of Christianity. We are just letting out a warning.

20. Gold Dragon

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Which of Rob Bell's statements do you base that accusation on?