1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unmarried Youth Pastor, OK??

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IFB Mole, May 14, 2007.

1. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Doesn't another question need to be addressed before the married/single one? The question is this: Is the position of "youth pastor" biblical? I should explain that I am not just suggesting that the actual term "youth pastor" doesn't occur in English translations of the bible - by itself that wouldn't matter, if the concept were there, in the same way that the word "trinity" is not in the bible, but teaching about one God in three Persons is. What I'm questioning is whether there is any scriptural warrant for a pastor who only deals with part of the flock, be it youth, the elderly, singles, or whatever. (I am only asking the question, not saying that it is definitely wrong to have a youth pastor).

2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

This is a good question. Could it not be that the idea of a "youth pastor" is isolating young people from the main body of the church, sheltering them away from the church pastor, and stifling their ability to interact socially with adults in the church. I'm with David, in that I am not saying the concept is wrong per se, but wondering if overall this kind of ministry does not create a church within the church.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Is youth pastor biblical? I've never thought about it? It's most likely more organizational - like business manager, children's minister, etc. The larger you get, the more help you need?

----------
    So you are called to the ministry, but not called to be married (or married yet). You find that churches will not hire you if you are not married, so you go get yourself a sweet little gal who feels called to be a pastor's wife. What a disaster that will be. Personally, I'd rather have a single called minister (in any capacity) who hasn't yet met the woman God intends for him to marry, than have one who felt compelled to marry one because a church wouldn't call him without a wife.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

you are holding several exegetical fallacies and reading into this passage your particular view of things. The veribage used here is not as constraining as you wish it to be, rather it Paul is speaking more ubiquitously about household that particular.

no it doesn't. The word used here is oikos which means house. It actually occurs in the genitive about 15 different verses in the NT and carries differing inflection each time (i.e. context is again king.) In whole the term for house in the NT is used in 106 verses with varying meaning. For instance:

Matthew 21:13...Christ speaking: "...'My house shall be called a house of prayer'..." (the house spoken of here isn't the family idea but the really Christ is talking about the Church and specific gathering places.)

Luke 14:23..."And the master said to the slave, 'Go out into the highways and along the hedges, and compel [them] to come in, so that my house may be filled." (I think it would difficult to suggest that the master here wants his servant to go out and get more members for his family from the highways and hedges.)

Mark 7:30...And going back to her home, she found the child lying on the bed, the demon having left. (The meaning here is the physical structure of the house.)

Yeah we're going to disagree here. As a single man I had a family, it was me but it was still a family. How I conducted my personal business and finances reflected on how I managed my family. Now that I am married I took the lessons learned then and am applying them now. Marriage is not a better estate than singleness, Paul makes this clear, rather Paul allows that singleness and marriage are equal estates in God's eyes. Suggesting that someone is incomplete or needs a spouse in order to find some cosmic spiritual fulfillment is not NT teaching.

You still have to reconcile that Paul was a minister (a pastor, or whatever term you want to use) and was completely single.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just because a staff position in a local church doesn't appear in Scripture doesn't mean it shouldn't exist in our churches.

A youth minister/pastor is one of the key positions for influencing the next generation positively with the Gospel. A church is severely lacking which doesn't allow for that position to be filled (when they have the resources.) :)

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

no, it's not stifling their interaction with adults and it doesn't isolate them......at least a good youth pastor wouldn't.

I see this as being more along the lines of a specialized deacon set aside to minister to the unique needs of the teenagers.

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I am an IFB and the best youth pastor we ever had was unmarried.

He not only managed his household well, but managed a whole factory to boot. He was also a minister of music and the choir director.

He served for over 5 years until his job moved him to another state. He is still missed.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You should remove all air conditioners in the middle of the summer because air conditioning does not appear in scripture. That would convince the congregations of their false teachers.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree context is key...that's why a physical house or dwelling makes no sense here in the way you are using it. The text is dealing with elders managing their households well...because this is what they will be doing for the Church. An Elder's responsibility is not the building and grounds committee, making sure the roof and water tank are in good working order,...it's dealing with the spiritual welfare of the flock, in the same sense we as men, are to look after our families. We are the spiritual leaders in the home. The Elders are the spiritual leaders of the Church. Household, then, is familial in nature...
    G3624
    οἶκος
    oikos
    oy'-kos
    Of uncertain affinity; a dwelling (more or less extensive, literally or figuratively); by implication a family (more or less related, literally or figuratively): - home, house (-hold), temple.

Instead of "household", I would have translated the word as "home". If I state "I can't wait to go home", it's not the building I'm looking forward to, but my family and the experiences shared withing the 4 walls.

#29 webdog, May 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You've charged me with reading my view into the passage, unfortunately it's obvious that this is what you are doing here trying to support a single man as being a "family" and managing that "family" well. Scripture disagrees.

I don't believe Scripture, nor the very definition of what a family is supports your "family of one". No place in Scripture is the word family used to conotate a single individual in over 75 incidents.
    H4940
    משׁפּחה
    mishpâchâh
    mish-paw-khaw'
    From H8192 (compare H8198); a family, that is, circle of relatives; figuratively a class (of persons), a species (of animals) or sort (of things); by extension a tribe or people: - family, kind (-red).

G3965
    πατριά
    patria
    pat-ree-ah'
    As if feminine of a derivative of G3962; paternal descent, that is, (concretely) a group of families or a whole race (nation): - family, kindred, lineage.

#30 webdog, May 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007
  11. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Its sad that we assume that a single man cannot control himself and cannot serve in a church. I am sure some cant, but I am sure some can. The Bible seems to say that being single is the preferable thing.

At our first church before we had children, we actaully had a woman comment to us.."How can you minister to families when you dont have one?"

We should be careful not to place our own opinions onto Scripture.

12. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Webdog has this one right in my mind...

There is no such thing as a single party family. When a man gets in trouble and his wife leaves with his children he says, "I lost my family", not "I kept my family together by getting rid of a few people."

FAM''ILY, n. [L. familia.]

1. The collective body of persons who live in one house and under one head or manager; a household, including parents, children and servants, and as the case may be, lodgers or boarders. (Source: Webster's 1828)​

The office of a bishop contains certain requirements, that are clearly spelled out and should be used as a check list:

1This is a true saying, if a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.

2A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

3Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

4One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;

5(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)

6Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil. - 1 Timothy 3:1-6

A bishop should be the husband of one wife, with children and he should have his children in subjection with all gravity. These are the requirements, this is how it should be. A young bachelor should be preparing for leadership once he is experienced, and has demonstrated an ability to rule his own house. If he desires to lead other people's youth, he should demonstrate an ability to lead his own.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't think anyone argued a single man cannot serve in a church. I believe Scripture lays the foundation for Elders and Deacons, though. On the contrary, it would seem that to insist a single man can be an Elder / Deacon would be putting our opinion over Scripture.

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

sorry if I misunderstood

15. rbell

rbell Active Member

Careful...

I would caution any youth minister who isn't a parent about the wholesale dispensing of parental advice.

However...I can't go along with "he can't minister to this group until he has one it it." I've seen outstanding youth ministers who had no children.

Besides...that brings up the interesting issue: what of those who cannot have children? Are they disqualified? I think not.

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Just trying to clarify ... Are you of the opinion that neither Paul nor Jesus would be able to serve as elder or deacon in your church?

17. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

So a married man with no children can't be a pastor?

Jamie

18. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

How would he have his children in subjection with all gravity?

19. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

So I presume your answer is yes? Is it hard to give a straight up yes or no to a simple question?

A married man without children can't pastor a church?

Jamie

20. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

It is amazing how many rules man adds to the Word of God.