1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unrealistic expectations of pastors

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by abcgrad94, Feb 27, 2011.

1. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know of an incident many years ago where a pastor was on vacation and a member's mother (who was not a member) passed away while the pastor was on vacation. The member was also on a cruise at the time. The member finished the cruise and held it against the pastor (who was not even going to have part in the funeral) for not leaving his vacation immediately.

On the other hand, when my father passed, his pastor was going to leave his vacation and come home. (another member had told him) I told him since he would be home in time for the funeral that it would be more than sufficient and Dad would not expect him to come home early. (besides, something tells me Dad was not even concerned about such things anymore) The pastor did come home a day early but that was his decision. He said, vacation was no longer on his mind, and the only reason he did not come immediately is because he knew how Dad would have felt about it. They were close and the pastor did this out of love and not duty.

2. Dauntie27

Dauntie27 New Member

I think one has to be careful when judging a pastor or anyone else for that matter. Though the pastor sets himself up to be examined as many follow his example, we all have to answer for our own behaviors before God.
    Romans 14:4-"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand."
    Matthew 7:3-5-"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
    What I desire from a Pastor is to give me the Word in a way that convicts my heart and encourages my walk with Him. What he does in private is between him and the Lord unless it affects the body. (the body of Christ that is.)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think it's vitally important for a pastor to be transparent to his congregation and that will eliminate a LOT of the issues. Additionally, the pastor should be open to rebuke if need be and humble enough to be gracious when the rebuke is in error. I appreciate a pastor who admits that he has a problem with eating and would appreciate prayer from his congregation that he would be able to begin to live a life pleasing to God in regards to his eating. Even if he is fat, that shows a true godly heart. But a pastor who struggles without admitting anything to his congregation makes him seem to be above everyone else - but he's not.

As for the vacation thing, our vacations are on our sailboat. Even under the best of circumstances, it takes us no less than 2-3 days to get home if we needed to rush home (we did one year when a friend who was cruising with us had his daughter hit by a car on Martha's Vineyard - we raced home in 3 days to get his boat home so that he could get back to Boston with his wife and daughter). But fortunately, our church is big enough with 11 pastors that we have others to fill in for us when needed. Now with the church plant, hubby is the primary pastor but there are others who have preached out there and one (our outreach pastor) who has developed some relationships out there as well. So we'll feel comfortable going away for the two weeks.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Would Have to Agree With Ann!

As a pastor, there were times that I had to cut short my vacations, and weekday breaks to be with a family needing prayer. There are things and associate can handle, but the truth is, if the family in need is asking and expecting their leader, then that is where I'll be! :flower:

Pastor Paul :type:

5. mets65

mets65 New Member

I think it depends on the situation and the pastor should be in prayer if something like that arises.

6. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

As an IT professional I have to have constant availability to my employers. I provide the same to the flock, except i don't do it grudgingly as I do my employers.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hubby has had to MANY times do IT work while on vacation. It's been interesting to say the least when you're living on a sailboat but now we have the Virgin Mobile MiFi and it works pretty well!