1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unsaved Are NOT Welcome In Church

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by gb93433, Jun 22, 2005.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Wouldn't it be nice if they spent as much time/space preaching the message of Christ as they do bragging about their facilities?

"Reservations for church attendance and payments to hear the gospel of Christ"

The saddest thing is that 157,000 people participate in that abonomation.

3. LarryN

LarryN New Member

This site is a well-known parody, in case anyone doesn't know.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is sad is how many follow idiots like that.

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I did not know it was a parody Larry. Thank goodness!

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

7. Dina

Dina New Member

UMMM< after looking around the site a bit, I have come to the conclusion that it is NOT a real church.

8. LarryN

LarryN New Member

It isn't. Please see the 3rd post in this thread.

9. OCC

OCC Guest

I don't think it's a parody guys. If it's the site I remember going on (not checking it out), then they have a message board on there. A message board kinda signifies real site to me.

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Someone even made a parody site called "Shutdown Landover Baptist" that was an even more subtle parody. It is now defunct but can be found archived here

11. LarryN

LarryN New Member

12. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

What's so sad about Landover Baptist is that when they first started, it was really good satire.

I looked at it as the same kind of gentle nudging as The Door.

In fact, those of you who've known me from the beginning may remember that I got into some trouble for listing them as my home church in my BaptistBoard profile.

Landover has changed, though, and now it just seems like it's there for no other reason than to spew venom.

They still say some funny things and even some things that are poignant, but the hatefullness there, especially on their message boards, makes it difficult for me to read anymore.

13. OCC

OCC Guest

Larry, I find it disturbing that you would rather correct my error than go to that site and correct theirs. :(

I'll pass on the link thanks.

14. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I was simply trying to remove any doubt that the site doesn't represent a real church. No offense to you was intended.

I first encountered the site some time back when somebody else had thought it to represent a genuine church. Sadly, the person was a non-Christian, and it took some convincing on my part to persuade him that the site was NOT a real site; and doesn't represent authentic Baptists or Christianity.

I'm not sure what you mean in regards to going on that site to try to correct their error(s). If you're suggesting I post something/anything on THAT site: Thanks, but no thanks. I'll pass.

15. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG]...OTOH, I have seen some church sites that weren't as clear about what they believe.

16. OCC

OCC Guest

Larry, no problem. I misunderstood you and that is so easy to do on these boards. My apologies.

Well, what I meant was why don't you go to that site and leave a message for the managers of it. Or at least email. I wouldn't suggest you go and hang your hat at the site. Sorry my intent was not clear.

17. dale kesterson

dale kesterson New Member

I found that site quite vulgar. I can laugh at many parodies or satires of evangelists that deserve it, but this site is obviously run by someone who despise christianity altogether, not just fundamentalists. One example is larknews.com and it made fun of the fact that Rick Warren who played Jimmi Hendrix's song "Purple Haze" on his guitar before the congretation at Angels Stadium a few months ago. However Landmark is really beyond what I would call a respectable parody.

18. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Landover is just another site that belittles the christian. There was a time when preachers commanded respect. Today the world looks at us as jokes thanks to things like Landover. :(

19. Victory in Jesus

Victory in Jesus New Member

On the other hand, there's usually a little truth to humor. I started a book about my previous church (I was backslidden and confused) but my hard drive burned up, taking the book and 6 month's worth of work with it. I was amazed at how so many people could look down on their nose at somebody with their nose stuck up in the air at the same time (perhaps they were looking up at those people without realizing it).

I'll never try to write a book like that again. I'm certain the Lord had a lot to do with it. Now I just pray for the church and serve the Lord the best way I can in our present church.

20. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I'm sorry, I'm still not getting this. Why am I the one who should contact whomever runs the site (presumably to express disgust with it), anymore than you, or anyone else who is aware of & disapproves of the site for that matter. I'm not the "Internet Sheriff". I'm no fan of the site: as I've said in an earlier post I only became aware of it because a non-Christian acquaintance somehow found the site and mistook it for a real church. In this thread I've only attempted to tell others that the site is what it is: someone's misguided attempt at parody.