1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unsaved Parents?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by Casey, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Casey

Casey New Member

I became a believer when I was 13 years old. I remember the day I got saved; before that day I knew nothing about salvation. All I needed to know that I needed to realize I was a sinner, just like every other human being, that I must repent of my sin and turn to God, and ask Jesus Christ to come into my heart and save me. I was too shy to ask someone to take the Bible and show me how to be saved, and so that I could be sure, so I knelt down at the alter, during invitation time, and my pastor's wife tapped me on the shoulder and asked me if I was saved. I panicked. I did not know if I was saved. I shook my head no. She took me down stairs and showed me verses from the Bible on salvation. As soon as I was sure what I needed to do, I did it. I asked Jesus Christ into my heart and to save me.

After I got home, I told my mother I was saved, and she had no idea what I meant. I took my Bible and showed her some verses, and she was like, "That's great honey." and she left it at that. I've been trying to get my mother to go to church with me, but she keeps saying that she'll do it when she's older. Me and my father don't talk much, but he's also unsaved. Everytime I bring up the issue, they change the subject, or tell me that they'll do it later. One of these days, there isn't going to be anytime for 'later.' I want my parents to get saved and to change. My parents... are not very good role models. I know what people say about kids winding up like their parents, but I'm just the opposite of mine. I want them to get saved, but if I approach them about it they always reject it.
    What should I do? There's no garuntee there's going to be a tomorrow. Could someone help?

2. CBCSLTechDude

CBCSLTechDude New Member

3. Ishouldbhappy

Ishouldbhappy New Member

I will pray for you about that. I know what it feels like to have one parent who does not understand what I am dealing with. I will pray for you.

4. ckm49er

ckm49er New Member

i agree with Tech... pray.

5. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

all you can do is pray and be the witness you can be. let the Holy Spirit and God do the work. do all the things a Christian should do: read your Bible every morning, go to church whenever the doors are open, etc. Be careful when you are witnessing to your parents. Do shove the gospel down their throats nor push it on them to get saved. by constantly talking about getting saved that may discourage them and dub you a pest. yes... keep witnessing to them. i will be praying for you and your family.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I think Clean1 meant do NOT shove the gospel down their throats.... [​IMG]

She is absolutely right, too. YOu be the absolute best child that you can be....thats your way of being a good testimony. You show them by how you obey them that you are different than you used to be. Go out of your way to do things differently now. If you used to whine when they told you to clean your room....do it now with a smile on your face and a happy response.

You've told them as much as you can about the gospel, that is excellent. Now you need to live a consistent Christian life in front of them. I understand you are only 13, but God can help you do all this just as well as He helps any older person.

7. Joman

Joman New Member

"Preach, if neccesary use words..." Your Good testimony could be more effective than your words...

8. Clean1

Clean1 New Member

thanks bapmom for correcting me. i was typing fast and forgot to add the "n't". Joman is also right. Actions speak louder than words. If im put into a difficult situation, say that i go to a birthday party of one of my friends, and they had alcohol there (but i didn't know) i would let someone know that i was leaving because i know that drinking is wrong. My testimony just spoke for itself without my saying anything. Im a 15 year old girl and have gotten into lots of situations that i am faced with the choice of doing right or wrong. God will tell me what is wrong and what is right. Your witnessing will not be in vain. God will do something with it. There is a verse in the Bible that says something like that but i don't know where it is.
    If anyone knows please post it.

9. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

One thing to consider, sometimes people have different personalities, and so they must be witnessed to in a different way.

If you parents are more of a logical, factual, cleric (look that up in a personality book) then perhaps they would have more use for something like "Case for Christ" than they would your testimony. Sometimes people want to know the facts before they delve into the faith protion. I think God respects this, just like the Bereans.

Think about it, and if there are any resources you need, let us know. Im sure someone has it!

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Casey,

Read your Bible prayerfully, thoroughly, and slowly.
    Ask the Holy Spirit in prayer to show you, if it be His will, what the Bible really says about Salvation, about Jesus Christ, and about damnation.
    And if you are one of His own, He will guide you into all truth.

11. Casey

Casey New Member

Thanks, I really appreciate you guys. I have prayed about this many times, and I'm still praying. I've been living the cleanest life possible since I've been saved. I got saved about 9 months ago. Actually, it was just my 9th month salvation annirversary (spelled that wrong)Novemember 6th, 2005. I like living this life and would like my parents to see the joys in it. My life has never been better.

Thanks you guys, really. You're awesome. Thanks again.

12. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

Hey hon. I'm praying for you and your family. You've gotten great advice here. When I was a youth leader I saw many parents led to Christ once they saw a change in their kids. Show them this change and how important it is too you.

God bless.

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It's not your job to save them. That's the Holy Spirit's job. I suspect at this point in yoru life, you're probably not the best equipped person to witness to them fully. There's nothing wrong with that; in fact, it's more common than not. Perhaps the Holy Spirit may eventually put another adult or adults in their lives that will be a witness to them. When the Holy Spirit wants you to do something as a witness, you will now. But if the Holy SPirit says "go from A to B", don't go from A to Z. That's called "erupting" and I've done that myself many times, with poor results.

I suggest you grown in yoru own faith, grow as an adult, and pray for your parents. I know someone who wasn't ready to come to Christ until friends had shared their faith for 15 years. In one of them had taken the "do it now because you might not be here tomorrow" approach, that person might well ahve been pushed further away from the Lord than he already was.

14. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I have the opposite problem. My mom thinks she can just love and trust God, but absolutely hate and attack everybody, and everything else including friends and family and siblings.

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I lived in a home with unsaved parents and God finally did bring them to salvation. First it was my mom, then my dad got saved when I was 17. I cant tell you how many prayers went up for that. God is so good, and I know He can handle this. I will be praying for you.

16. bapmom

bapmom New Member

uncharted, what do you mean that you have the opposite problem?

Are your parents saved, they just don't act right?

17. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

My father did not come to know the Lord until after he retired. My mother prayed for him for many, many years. Be faithful in prayer for your parents and do your best to live as an example of Christ in all of your ways.

18. UnchartedSpirit

I can't tell wither my mom is saved or not, that's the problem....My dad is great, I ahve to invite him here....but my mom, well, she's a case but she claims to have Jesus, we could call here a hyprocryte, I guess that's an opposite....

19. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

Dear UnchartedSpirit,
    I prayed for your mom, I asked the Holy Spirit to open her eyes through you. Keep praying for her, ask her if she would like to discuss Jesus and the Bible.

My wife is from Oakland, Ca, she dosen't now what you mean by San Antonio.

I will keep your mom and you in prayer.

God Bless.
    In Him,
    Bruce

20. UnchartedSpirit

It's right next to the Fruitvale district, where Manznaita and Garfield Elementary are, or is that part all one name now?