1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unsung Heroes of the Bible

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Scarlett O., Jun 11, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know that the greatest Hero of the bible is Jesus Christ and that we aren't to elevate any human being to a status of worship, but I think that it's alright to say that there are people in the bible who, as mere humans, inspire us.

And I think that many of those people in the bible are never used as illustrations in sermons and never taught about in Sunday School. There are no books written about these people. They are "unsung".

Who are your 5 (or less) favorite "unsung" people in the bible?

Here's mine:
    • The Centurion soldier - This man's faith amazed Jesus.

• The dad who desperately wanted his son healed and when Jesus said, "Do you believe?"......The bible said he spoke with tears flowing down his face, "Yes! I believe! And if there is any part of me that would constitute as unbelief, heal me from it."

• The little unnamed Israelite girl who after being captured and made a slave in Naaman's house, had compassion towards her enemy and instead of laughing at his leprosy and secretly hating him, she wanted God to get him to Elisha so that he could be healed.

• Leah - The bible said, more than once, that she was hated by her husband simply for having something about her face that was unappealing to him and for not being Rachel. She tried to win his affection by bearing him children. It did not work. After bearing Judah, she finally said, "This time, I will praise the LORD." She took the focus off of being unloved and focused on God.

• The leper who came back to Jesus and said, "Thank you!" - I believe that Christians would be more joyous and more effective if they were more grateful to God for their salvation and every blessing He has given them.

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Epaphras would be one for me:

“A faithful minister of Christ” to the Colossians, who at times hung with Paul. This saint is merely mentioned 3 times in the Bible, very positively. I would love to know more about his work and his ways of ministering, but as far as I know there is no more written about him. Although intriguing, to think about his being highly regarded by Paul we’re left with very little information about his heroics, or the outcome of his live, and not having one word of his mouth recorded we just know he was greatly loved. Every time I see his name I think “who is this guy” would love to know his story!

(Col 1:7) As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellow servant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;

(Col 1:8) Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.

(Col 1:9) For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

(Col 4:12) Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always laboring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand perfect and complete in all the will of God.

(Phm 1:23) There salute thee Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus;

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

-Barnabas: had he not encouraged...who knows if John Mark would have followed through. And the early believers might not have accepted Paul. It could be argued (and being this is the BB, I'm sure it will be!) that largely because of Barnabas' faithfulness, we have nearly half our New Testament. (Ya'll don't mis-interpret what I mean there.)

I think of Caleb. His faithfulness, and willingness to trust God, even in advanced years and despite the enemies of Israel's strength. What a hoss.

4. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I think of the 120,000 people of Nineva who seriously turned their hearts to repentance from one prophet! Of course my father speculates that Jonah was a "family prophet," meaning he was trained to speak like a politician or actor; so he new how to grab and compell an audience! Still a great nation with all it's violent and whatever wicked indulgences - all of them removed it from their lives! The trouble with revivals my Papa says is that they're too emotional and not taken to heart, that's why we haven't had as dramatic change in this or any Nation towards Jesus...

5. Servent

Servent Member

Caleb & Joshua, For standing frim and taking God at His word.

6. Servent

Servent Member

Im not so sure about these guy's, if you read in Nahum it looks as if they have fallen back into there old ways.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Shadrach, Meshac and Abednego

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

The young lad who gave Jesus the 5 loaves and 2 fishes with which Jesus fed the 5,000 [men {Who knows how many women & children were also fed!}].

(PS--I'm told that this is the only miracle that's recorded in all 4 Gospels.)

9. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the above are great!

I think of someone with little fanfare such as Onesiphorus.

10. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

They may have gotten off track, but was 150 years later! No different than Isreal's backtsliding, except Nineva didn't have to be overrun and sold into slavery to come to repentance that time.