1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unsure what this means in relation to Catholiscm?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Ben W, Aug 22, 2005.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

James
    "The LDS consider themselves to be Christian--in fact, the only ones with authority."
    "
    They've added so many books to the bible that practically nobody outside of the US considers them christians.
    Compared to them the RCC at it's theological worst is the very image of Biblical Christianity.

2. riverm

riverm New Member

I have a friend that is rc. he claims that he doesn't "pray" to, he just "talks" to her. </font>[/QUOTE]I have friends that are Catholic as well, who tell me that it’s no different than us asking a friend or loved one to pray for us.

God is the God of the living and not the dead, so they’re not asking a dead person to pray for them.

Which is fine with me, I don’t have a problem with it and I don’t think it’s a requirement to be a Catholic. I myself prefer to go directly to God Himself in prayer through His Son.

3. D28guy

D28guy New Member

riverm,

Of course they say that. Thats as silly as saying that they arent worshipping Mary because they've decided not to call it "worship". Its an insult to any thinking person.

Thats a smokescreen. God calls people who have passed on and are alive in spirit form "dead" because they have had their physical death.

And we are to never attempt to contact them.

And yet Catholics dont care. They dont take their instruction from God...but from the Hierarchy of the Catholic Church.

If God says one thing, and the Catholic Church says something different...they go with what the Catholic Church says.

They "make the word of God of no affect" through their "traditions handed down". (Mark 7)

God bless,

Mike

4. D28guy

D28guy New Member

mioque,

Concerning Catholics attempting to contact Mary, you said...

They believe she talks back....

Mike

Click here for Idolatry.

5. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe Bernadette didn't know, but the enemy knows many things and can send his minions in many forms.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the Bible, anyone who tried talking to the dead were killed.
    Leviticus 20:27 "A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist among you must be put to death."

BTW, there is no difference in "talking" to someone who is dead and "praying". If you talk to someone who is no longer here, you are praying.

7. mioque

mioque New Member

Mike
    "And yet Catholics dont care. They dont take their instruction from God...but from the Hierarchy of the Catholic Church. "
    "
    The irony is that the article that started this thread is about a sermon of the pope about the issue that a lot of his followers don't listen to the hierarchy, many catholics according to him pick and choose their own faith instead.

8. mioque

mioque New Member

webdog&D28guy
    In Leviticus they are talking about people who communicate with the dead. Any loser can talk to a dead person. Getting them to answer is when the sinning begins.
    The RCC doesn't count it's saints as dead allowing them to dodge the issue.

As for Lourdes (and Fatima and half a dozen other sides where mary supposedly showed up), I suspect that I know more about them than you do. I visited Fatima with a group of my church during a vacation in Portugal to observe idolatry in action first hand.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

mioque, but when they are "talking" to the dead, do they ACTUALLY believe they can hear? This is faith! They are having faith that St. Starbucks will remove bunions, St. Lala will get their car to run, St. Moomoo will repair relationships, etc., etc.

Talking to the dead with the intent that they can hear you is no different even if they do not respond. In some instances they do with apparition of Mary, etc. Satan can, and does, appear as an angel of light.

10. mioque

mioque New Member

webdog
    The deathpenalty/sin thing in Leviticus is about twoway communication only.

Bernadette interestingly enough was not praying when she got visited by an apparition.

11. D28guy

D28guy New Member

mioque,

Thats very interesting. Care to share your observations, thoughts, etc regarding what you saw and encountered?

Mike

12. mioque

mioque New Member

The weirdest bit I encountered at Fatima was that there were so many folks who wanted to burn candles in front of the big statue of Mary that they had an employee whose job it was to immediatly remove the candles from the front of the statue when folks who put them there had left the church. Those collected candles were en masse burned later in something resembling a big grill.

13. mioque

mioque New Member

What also struck me is how diverse the visitors to Fatima are.
    You've got the tourists who've come to watch the whole 'circus' (and I guess we were part of that), than there are those who know next to nothing about Catholicism or any other form of Christianity, or even what supposedly happened at Fatima and they don't care for them it truly is a pagan pilgrimage to a piece of sacred soil.
    There are those who have a weird obsession with strange side-issues, speculating about the secret third prophecy of Fatima (this was after the text of it was published, they apparently hadn't noticed) and how the Mary of Lourdes was different from that of Fatima.
    Some are relatively normal healthy (in the spiritual sense) Christians who go on pilgrimage to grow as Christians and some only care about Jezus in the sense that: "He was born, he died gruesomely and afterwards he rose from the dead. Now let's talk about Mary".

14. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MIOQUE said: They(LDS)have added so many books to the Bible...

The same could be stated regarding the RCC.

Both of these groups have a divine authority problem: they have none.

"Nihil ex nihil fit" applies to the daughters of Rome. i.e. Rome never had any authority--still does not have any authority. Those who came out of Rome have no scriptural authority either--like mother like daughter.

One must go to a New Testament Assembly to get the authority given in Mt. 16 and Mt. 28. Such assemblies has never been part of Rome; nor have they been reformed, re-reformed or re-instituted in these latter days. They (NT Assemblies) are the fulfillment of the scripture: "the gates of hell shall not prevail against her."

Selah,

Bro. James

15. mioque

mioque New Member

James
    "The same could be stated regarding the RCC."
    "
    Ofcourse it wouldn't be exactly true (mostly because several other ancient churches that never had nothing to do with the RCC also have them), but one can say all sorts of things.

As for the rest of your post, well...

...it certainly is (church)politically motivated bollocks, but what else can I say?

16. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "bollocks"--are we referring to young bulls or fish or what? Please give some synonyms.

There is no "political axe to grind" here.

Facts: the Holy See is either authorized by God or not. Joseph Smith is either a prophet of God or an imposter. There is no middle ground.

One either has scriptural authority to carry out the Great Commission or one has usurped authority given by.... I will give one guess.

Such things are irrefutable--using scripture only. Such facts are corroborated by secular history as well--if one considers sources outside the perview of the Holy See's Catholic Encyclopedia as well.

Shalom,
    Selah,

Bro. James