1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Unto Him that Loved us, To Him that Washed us from our Sins

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Greg Gordon, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Greg Gordon

Greg Gordon New Member

[​IMG]

The Roman Coliseum was one of the main centers for entertainment and, on this day, it was not gladiators or sports competitions, but a different type of crown was being competed for. Rows upon rows of circular seating, with humanity throbbing inside. Fifty thousand faces fixed their attention on the scene below. The noise at times was deafening with cheers of the crowd, anticipating what was to come. To whet the appetites of the onlooking romans, gladiators were sent out to fight. Then wild animals who were starved were released, and a skillful gladiator would kill each one. But all of this is just to prepare the crowd for the main event and attraction. It was the Christians that were competing today for a heavenly crown following the way of Christ in the noble way of martyrdom.

What happens next, The Martyr of the Catacombs, details the sad scene well for us:

“An old man entered upon the scene. His form was bowed, and his hair silver white with extreme old age. His appearance was hailed with shouts of derision, although his majestic face and dignified manner were only calculated to excite admiration. As the shouts of laughter and yells of derision came down to his ears he raised his head and uttered a few words.

“A loud outburst of yells and execrations from the fierce mob drowned his voice. Before it was over three panthers came bounding toward him. He folded his arms, and looking up to heaven, his lips moved as if murmuring prayers. The savage beasts fell upon him as he stood, and in a few minutes he was torn in pieces. “Other wild animals were now let in. Into the midst of this a helpless band of prisoners were rudely thrust. They were chiefly young girls, who were thus sacrificed to the bloodthirsty passions of the savage Roman mob. The sight would have moved to pity any heart in which all soft feelings had not been blighted. But pity had no place in Rome.

Cowering and fearful, the poor young maidens showed the weakness of human nature when just confronted with death in so terrible a form, but after a few moments faith resumed its power, and raised them above all fear. As the beasts became aware of the presence of their prey and began to draw near, these young maidens joined hands, and raising their eyes to heaven, sang out a solemn chant which rose clear and wondrously sweet upward to heaven: “Unto Him that loved us, To Him that washed us from our sins. In his own blood; To Him that made us kings and priests, To God and the Father; To Him be glory and dominion Forever and ever. Hallelujah. Amen!”

“One by one the voices were hushed in blood, and agony, and death; one by one the shrieks of anguish were mingled with the shouts of praise; and these fair young spirits, so heroic under suffering and faithful unto death, had carried their song to join it with the psalm of the redeemed on high.”

This is an excerpt from the free Christian ebook, The Following of Christ by Greg Gordon

2. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No doubt about it, being a Christian in those days could severely test one's commitment.

3. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See also the Christians who were killed in the Valleys of Piedmont, middle of 16th century. They refused to bow to Rome.

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

4. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And we should never forget the many Catholics killed by Protestants, especially in England during the 1500's under Queen Elizabeth. These killings even extended right up into the 1970's in Northern Ireland, with Irish loyalists and the British Army doing the dirty deed.

Surely you are aware of "Bloody Sunday" (30 Jan 1972) where 26 unarmed civilians (Catholics) were shot by British soldiers, with 14 of them being killed. Nice, huh?

Come Lord Jesus, enlighten Bro. James and pray: "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". God bless.

#4 Adonia, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  5. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there is Mary Queen of Scots, a Catholic purging the Protestents. Not sure the Irish issues in the 1970's were related to religious persuasions. More at: Catholics in the majority could not get much done in their favor with a government run by the minority of Protestants. This was an economics war not about religion.

Another major difference: the people slaughtered in Piedmont were killed as heretics--refusing to recant to Rome. These people were not protestants in that they were never part of Rome. They refused to recant long before Wittenburg. Luther persecuted them too.

True believers never forced religion on anyone--still don't.

The last Inquisitor went emeritus. Selah.

Now what?

Bro. James

6. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is your point with all this? Is the Catholic Church killing non- Catholics now? It is time we come together as people who have something in common - a belief in Jesus Christ as the Saviour.

Your constant harping on what has happened in the past is nothing but nonsense that does not one bit of good.

Come Lord Jesus and help Bro. James out.

7. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The seeds have been sown. We are all without excuse. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of The Living God.

When we have had our last heartbeat, what then? Are we sure?

This is my last post to this thread.

Bro. James

8. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Oh how poetic!

9. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Vatican's record of accountability is remarkably bad.

An errata: Mary I ,Queen of England, was probably more intolerant than Mary, Queen of Scots.

Is the killing still going on? No crusades lately--seems sixteen hundred years wouldb long enough.

Have the Jesuits and the K of C changed their oaths?

Bro. James

#9 Bro. James, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  10. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Lets not forget the billions of Catholics who were killed by Catholics between 100ad - 1500, who were the only Christians around.

I think its funny brother James would rather have Catholics believe good behavior, <-our main point of contention and debate, won't help you towards heaven, do you really want to wipe the world out?

We Catholics have produced Stalin and Hitler and countless other evils.

Yeah they sinned against our teachings etc. But you would rather have had us tell Hitler he doesn't need to behave doing the good works of not sinning?

Maybe we should have given him Martin Luther's book "On Jews and Their Lies" on who invented your theology:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies

===
    In the treatise, he argues that Jewish synagogues and schools be set on fire, their prayer books destroyed, rabbis forbidden to preach, homes burned, and property and money confiscated. They should be shown no mercy or kindness,[2] afforded no legal protection,[3] and these "poisonous envenomed worms" should be drafted into forced labor or expelled for all time.[4] He also seems to advocate their murder, writing "[W]e are at fault in not slaying them".[5]
    ===

11. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

12. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this a sequel to the oath of the Jesuits?

Bro. James

13. utilyan

Site Supporter

I had to google "Oath of Jesuits" ........

[​IMG]

I'm leaving the Catholics tomorrow, cancelling all my secret catholic ninja training and converting to retardism.

Catholics don't officially call themselves "ROMAN" catholics unless maybe they are indeed Romans. But being called Roman Catholics came thanks to Anglicans who might still distinguish themselves as Anglican Catholics.

14. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very moving scene. Thank you for sharing it and your book Greg Gordon.

15. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    -------------------------------------------------------------------h
    Not very poetic: "It is appointed unto man once to die---------------then comes The

16. Bro. James

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There seems to be at least two groups in Rome since Vatican II: the Latin liturgists and other liturgists. There seems to be more than just liturgy language problems. "Anti-popes" is being used by some. A pope retiring would seem to add more questions.

Rome seems to be at the top of the covering up list in the wonderful world of Christendom.

Bro. James

17. utilyan

Site Supporter

No one in their right mind starts off with a faith they entirely disagree with saying everything they do is wrong and trash only to turn around and say but wait hold up the books they claim as holy are so.

You can research those who were like minded like the Donatist. Why not hijack their canon of scripture?

Or better yet produce your own canon. The best you've done is prove the Anglicans are True.

A lazy no name faith just doesn't cut it, they don't have scripture to call their own.

18. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not convert to being a Baptist and calvinism, as unlike Rome, that is in the Bible?

19. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Calvinism denies free will and is thus a false theology, one of many false theologies that derived from the Daddy of all false theologies - the "Reformation".

Oh my, which one should I follow? Should I follow the Lutheran? The Presbyterian? The Anglican? The Baptist? Choices, choices, choices. My, my, what a quandary!

#19 Adonia, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  20. utilyan

Site Supporter

I would make great Calvinist. I'd be a billionaire easily over brainwashed folks.

You think your God to change anyone's mind here?

If I'm convinced only God can give you the proper perspective of the gospel I wouldn't waste my time whining about it when you get things wrong.

In fact our conversations as a Calvinist would alone be "did God hit your switch yet?".

If he hasn't THERE IS NO ADVICE to be given. Because that presumes a GNOSTIC knowledge based salvation.

Think about how STUPID this statement is:

"Why not convert to being a Baptist and calvinism, as unlike Rome, that is in the Bible?"

Meaning I can BETTER my chances at salvation doing the "GOOD WORK" of following Baptist/Calvinism.

How would that be any different then being a Muslim?

What your telling me is you don't believe its on God at all, I have to be in the right faith with a right understanding.