1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unusual Bibles revisited

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Keith M, May 21, 2005.

1. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The question in one thread was about the most unusual Bible you own. I'm curious as to what is the most unusual Bible you have ever seen and held in your hands?

For me it was a parallel KJV/RV owned by a man I know in Tennessee. If I recall correctly, the Bible contained the KJV on one page and the RV on the facing page. The Bible was not in the greatest condition, and some of the pages were missing, but it is the only version of the 1885 RV I have ever laid my eyes on.

2. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Keith,

Believe it or not, Cambridge University Press still sells a KJV/RV Interlinear Bible. It contains the text of tbe KJV with the differences of the RV noted within the text. Here is a link to it: Cambridge KJV/RV Interlinear

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hey, mesly, thanks for the link! I have always been interested in the RV, but the Bible I mentioned previously is the only copy I have ever seen. Here in the states it is easy enough to find the ASV of 1901 and, of course, the NASB, but the original RV seems to be pretty elusive...

4. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keith, I was able to find a copy of the RV (from 1885) on Ebay! I payed about $10 for it a few years ago. You might want to check Ebay from time-to-time, you never know what you may find!

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Somewhere along the way I picked up a "Parallel New Testament - 1611 & 1881" published by Oxford in 1882.

6. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Likely the RV spoken of before...the NT was published in 1881, the OT and the entire Bible in 1885...

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

The translators comments are really interesting - simply calling it an update of the 1611 using texts which were not available in 1611.

8. Keith M

Keith M New Member

And the translators of the RV didn't intend to start leading folks down the road to perdition? [​IMG]

**Ouch! Gotta learn to get my toungue out of my cheek...

9. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I have a KJV published in 1913 by World Publishers in NY. It is called the "Sunday School Teacher's Edition". What is interesting is that it has a section in the back of it comparing passages of the KJV with the changes made in the 1881 RV. The section is titled "The Revised Version, (some of the more important passages changed by the revisors)"

In HIS service;
    Jim

10. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Interesting Jim,
    I believe I have the same Bible...copyright 1901. It does not say "Sunday School Teachers Edition." But it seems to have the same helps in the back.

I also have an "KJV Old Testament only" published by Cambridge...no date...looks to be early 20th century. Kind of strange to see an OT by itself...I wonder if it was originally published for evangelizing Jews. Any thoughts?

11. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Keith M said:

The Bible was not in the greatest condition, and some of the pages were missing, but it is the only version of the 1885 RV I have ever laid my eyes on.

A friend of mine when I was in school had a big pulpit-size RV that had belonged to his grandparents. It was the first one I ever saw, too. I've seen one or two others in academic libraries, but I do wonder why there aren't a few more of 'em around considering it was as official a Bible as the KJV for Anglicans.

I can't say that I've seen any truly unusual Bibles. I did borrow a big Confraternity Bible from the Catholic library at my university. When I returned it, somehow the library forgot to sign it back in and misplaced it, later billing me for its replacement. What made it unusual was that the thing had to be the size of a VCR, and somehow they still managed to lose it. (I was later able to clear my name by pointing out that it had been returned to the stacks, apparently by a sleepwalker.) [​IMG]

12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that I have seen a KJV O. T. published by itself. It was probably published for Jews. I have seen a couple of English O. T.'s that were slight revisions of the KJV's O. T. made by Jews for Jews.

The one published in 1853 and edited by Issac Leeser is considered the first Jewish translation in the U. S. THE TWENTY-FOUR BOOKS OF THE HOLY BIBLE: HEBREW AND ENGLISH and published by Hebrew Publishing Co.

The other is entitled THE TWENTY-FOUR BOOKS OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES ACCORDING TO THE MASORETIC TEXT by Alexander Harkavy also printed by the Hebrew Publishing Co. in 1916.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Pastor MHG;
    List of "helps" in this Bible:
    1.)Front of the Bible
    Synopsis of the books of the Bible
    Key to pronunciation
    Explanatory note
    2.) Back of the Bible
    From the fly leaf of D.L. Moody's Bible
    List of Old and Net Testament Books arranged in their order
    The Bible Reader's aids
    being brief treatises upon and outlines of topics related to the study and understanding of the Holy Scriptures...edited by the Rev. Chas. H.H. Wright, D.D....Trinity College, Dublin; M.A. fo the Exeter College, Oxford; PhD. of University of Liepzig; examiner in Hebrew and New Testament Greek, University of London; and Grinfield Lecturer on the Septuagint in the University of Oxford....
    American Edition, Cpywt 1901
    Index
    LOTS of "Holy Land pictures"
    "Bible Reader's Aids"...'how to study the Bible, by D.L.Moody'
    From Malachi to Matthew by B.J.Fernie, Phd.
    Jewish Sects and their beliefs" by Geo. H. Sandison, PhD.
    Proving the OT by Rev. T.F. Wright, PhD.
    The Sunday School Teacher's use of the Bible, by Rev. J.H.Vincent, LL.D Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church
    The Christian worker and his Bible, by D.W. Whittle, Philadelphia
    Calendar for daily Scripture reading by D.W.Whittle

And TONS and TONS more! Including harmony of the Gospels, parables, miracles etc.

Books of Reference
    including commentaries, textbooks, concordances, cyclopedias, dictionaries and word studies.

Also a Geographical index to the Bible with a list of place names co-ordinated with the maps.

And finally a 125 page (in tiny print) concordance with maps.

I was given this Bible while I was in prison and my $5 "Walmart special" had worn out.

Though its pages are fragile, I will turn to this Bible more often that my "Big Black Leather Official Baptist Wide Margin Cambridge KJV"!!!

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

Hey Bro. Jim,

Thats exactly right...I have everything you mentioned in this Bible, only in a slightly different order and no title "SS teachers edition" as you mentioned. I think mine is possibly an older edition of the same. Great Bible though...seems really innovative for the times.

Max

15. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some years ago an old Baptist Preacher died and his estate auctioned off his library. I bought a lot of books at that auction for as little as one dollar. One of them was "The New Testament of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ Translated Out Of the Greek: Being the Version Set Forth A.D. 1611 Compared With the Most Ancient Authorities and Revised A.D. 1881" printed for the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge, and published by Oxford Warehouse, 7, Paternoster Row, London and C.J. Clay, M.A., Cambridge Warehouse: 17 Paternoster Row, London. It was distributed in the US by Thomas Nelson & Sons, Oxford Bible Warehouse, 42 Bleeker Street, New York.

What is interesting is that on the fly leaf it says "This Edition is authorized by the American Committee of Revision, Philip Schaff, President; George E. Day, Secretary, New York, May 20, 1881." Following the book of Revelation is a section entitled "List of readings and renderings preferred by the American Committee, recorded at their desire." There follows a list of suggestions of the American Revision Committee for changes in the text or marginal notes. When I cross checked those changes/notes to my "The New Covenant Commonly Called The New Testament of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ Translated out of the Greek Being the Version Set Forth A.D. 1611 Compared With the Most Ancient Authorities and Revised A.D. 1881 Newly Edited by the New Testament Members of the American Revision Committee A.D. 1900" (whew! The title is almost as long as the New Testament!), I discovered that all of the notes in the back of the 1881 NT were incorporated into the 1900 ASV NT.

The ERV 1881 American Edition was, in effect, a proto-ASV! [​IMG]

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

TCassidy;
    That is no surprise considering it was that exactly i.e. a "proto-ASV". It is my understanding that the English held the Americans to an agreement that they would not publish theirs for 20 years after the English Revised Version. So...the arithmetic fits. 1881 + 20 = 1901.

MHG; I have no clue about your Old Testament KJV other than your guess sounds plausible to me. It could very well have been published like that for the express purpose of evangelizing Jewish folks.

In HIS service;
    Jim

17. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except the ASV NT was published in 1900. [​IMG]

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    TC: "Except the ASV NT was published in 1900."

Check the title/copyright page again, Doc. There should be *no* ASV edition available prior to the 1901 copyrighted edition.

Anything published in the US regarding the ERV 1881 prior to 1901 would have been unauthorized and in violation of the specific 20-year agreement between the American and British committees. This is so whether the preferences of the American Committee appeared in the appendix or were shifted into the main text.

Many such unauthorized editions were published during that 20 year period, which had a bearing on why the ASV 1901 was placed under copyright "to insure purity of text" (their own words).

If your 1900 date is correct, perhaps this was an unauthorized copy that represented a pre-1901 draft of what would appear the next year?

20. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but you are wrong. The title page to the New Testament reads as I posted previously with this notation at the bottom of the page: "A.D. 1900." The NT and OT together were published in 1901 but the NT was available in early 1900.
    Well, you better tell that to Thomas Nelson because my 1881 ERV has the "Reading and Rendering Preferred" in the appendix pages 407-419, and my ASV NT is dated 1900. [​IMG]

I doubt if Thomas Nelson published an unauthorized edition. [​IMG]
    You would have to ask Thomas Nelson, but the publication date on the NT is 1900.