1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

UPDATE Ga. child confessed to murder NOW older teen comes forward

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Jim, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

From Diane:
    I am no longer a registered member of Baptist Board but had screamed for the death penalty for the 12 year old boy who confessed to her murder 2 years ago. Now, an older boy has come forward. I would be remiss if I didn't point out my error. Here's the breaking story.
    dianetavegia

Teen Confesses to Yates Murder
    http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=75891

An 8-year-old girl was found dead in her Carroll County neighborhood two years ago. A 12-year-old boy took the blame for Amy Yates’ death and is serving his sentence right now.

But 11Alive News has learned that another person has confessed to Amy Yates’ murder.

According to sources, the person confessing is a teenaged boy who lived in the same trailer park where little Amy's family lived.

He walked into the Carroll County Sheriff's Department on Monday with some spiritual advisors and turned himself in. He has allegedly had a religious conversion recently and wanted to confess to the crime.

Investigators are checking out the teen's claims.

According to lawyers for the 12-year-old boy convicted of the murder, the boy's parents are relieved and cautiously hopeful as they await more information.

Carroll County's assistant district attorney, Jeff Hunt, released a statement late Thursday night that said, "We're aware of what has happened, and it is being investigated. We're looking into the story."

Diane asked me to post this under my account right away as she says she was quite harsh toward this first boy who confessed, calling for the death penalty. She wanted to point out her error in this instance.

Jim Tavegia

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Officials are taking the 18-year-old man's claims "very seriously...

"Word said the teen had apparently undergone a religious conversion "and felt like getting that off his chest."

Skandalakis said the teen has offered a motive in the killing, but he did not want to elaborate on it.

Complicating matters, Skandalakis said, is the fact that the man is mentally disabled.

More info here:
    http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/stories/0210metyates.html