1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Update: Task Force now wants 15-year secrecy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gb93433, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was passed about 3 to 1. From where I was sitting, it looked like that was a pretty accurate assessment.

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Obviously the questions that many had were satisfied. I'll reserve judgment until I can hear from some who were actually there.

GB, I'm still intrigued. How did you get anything remotely related to the RCC from my post?

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Thanks Tom, if that is correct I would believe this was an overwhelming vote. I have no reason to doubt you, but your testimony is consistent to what I was told.

4. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I got there, I was going to vote against the GCR because of the 3rd point about "Great Commission Giving". They made steps to correct the problems that alot of people saw.

I still believe the biggest force that were pro-GCR from the beginning say they believe in the Cooperative Program and cooperative ministry, but don't seem to be practicing it. Their low giving percentage shows their lack of committment. Their decision to designate their giving to whatever favorite SBC cause shows they don't really believe in cooperative ministry or giving.

But the wording change that was finally agreed to helped with that. Now, we shall see if some of the leaders and the largest churches in the convention will live up to what they have said about upping their percentage. I pray they will.

5. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was alot of dissension about the vote. Dr. Chapman's message was basically that this is the wrong direction. He was very pointed. But so was Dr. Hunt's message that basically said that anyone not for the GCR was like the 10 spies who didn't think they ought to go into the land.

But the discussion on the floor was civil and about the issues not about personalities. Everyone in that convention center was committed to the Great Commission. We all want to see the Gospel get to every person. We were just differing as to whether the GCR recommendations were the best way to proceed.

Now, as I said before, it is up to the various boards to flesh out the proposals.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The idea that anyone outside of the SBC is often viewed by those within the SBC as critical.

7. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    you must hang with some really strange southern baptists... I have never heard a person who is critical of the SBC referred to as possibly RCC.
    And you were the one who asked the question... do you think that way?

8. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It's gb's teaching method. Normally, I don't play along with his similar Crabtownboy question and answer methods but this time I couldn't resist. Still, I don't get it. I guess I'm not intellectually smart enough to make the connection. Maybe I'm best off left to my ignorant bliss.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I was there. Any guessing as to percentages can only be a vague guess as it was voted on by raised ballots. I saw quite a large number vote against it. I am greatly concerned about the way this was all handled. Those that opposed it had their motives questioned. Associational missionaries were accused of only wanting to keep their jobs, it was clearly implied if you did not support it you were against the Great Commission all together, there is a large divide in the convention and the task force obviously has worked to down play it, the records are sealed for 15 years with no real explanation and it is certainly not reasonable, and continuing with this spirit one side of the vote is exaggerated.

The convention has gone from liberal control, to conservative control, to what we have now moved into the era of Mega Church Control. Tuesday was a sad day for the convention and very divisive. The way the task force was working to gerrymander around every opposition was quite disturbing. I have church members calling for us to pull out of the convention. I have tried to encourage them to table any discussions until I get back. Not sure how much good that will do.

10. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Is the discussion about leaving the convention based solely upon this issue or is there more involved? I did leave the convention, so I am sympathetic to people wishing to leave. However, I do not think I would leave over the GCTF. In my opinion, this is a minor fight. WHile I can understand your consternation with characterizing people who opposed this measure as being anti-missions (which is what us reformed folk are often accused of, and it is frustrating), much of that is recent on this topic.

Again, don't get me wrong as I can understand why someone would leave the SBC, I am just wondering if this is the only reason.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You misunderstood me. I was trying to cause you to think that anyone who is outside of the SBC who is critical is often seen by SBC folks as needing some kind of reformation or help because they are not in the "in" group. Those outside of the SBC can be anyone of which the RCC is included.

12. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    whatever. :rolleyes: