1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Updating the ESV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Plain Old Bill, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Is anyone aware of when a new updated edition of the ESV is comming out. The first edition had a bug or two and I'm looking forward to the editors clearing them up.:godisgood:

2. larryjf

larryjf New Member

2007 is what i heard.
    Here is a response that i got when i contacted the ESV publishers...

We do plan to make a limited number of changes, similar to what most other translations have done a few years after they were first released for publication, though our sense is that the number of changes that we anticipate will be quite a bit less than typically is the case. The vast majority of these involve only minor changes in grammar, punctuation, and footnotes. We are still in process regarding the finalization and implementation of these changes, which we will probably begin to implement some time next year.

We do intend to make a list of significant changes available upon request, but such a list will not be available until the changes begin to be implemented (at the earliest). I would encourage you to contact us again next year to request this list.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Hasn't the ESV already had minor revisions three or four times already? I know I've had two different versions of it.

4. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

http://www.esv.org/editions

Other than what they already have available, I don't see a revised edition listed on their website.

I used the NRSV and the RSV for so long, I sort of got used to the pattern of the language. I know the ESV is based on those translations, but I guess updating some of the language, particularly for American audiences, makes it seem, for lack of a better word, bland. I guess that's what people think about the NASB, too.

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Thankyou for your help gentlemen. I went to the site and found out they also plan a study edition of thier own for 2008 as well as the updated edition in 2007 which is right around the corner.:godisgood:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.