1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Upper Room Experience

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Kevin1957, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Kevin1957

Kevin1957 New Member

During the last two sermons our pastor has taught on 1 Corinthians Chapter 12. In these sermons he has stated that an upper room experience is necessary to fully exercise our spiritual gifts. Being unfamiliar with this topic I am seeking information on whether an upper room experience is normally taught in a SBC church. My wife and I are concerned, should we be? Thanks

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

If he is meaning, tongues and other manifestations, you might want to ask him to clarify. This is not commonly an SBC practice.

3. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Now's your time to exercise what Jesus taught when He said for believers to "be as wise as Serpents but as gentle as Doves!" I've been in the SBC for 45 years---preaching 16 of those---and have never heard of this "Upper Room Experience" Be a Berean, my dear friend!

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I have pastored in SBC churches for over 20 years and have never heard of the term. I agree with blackbird, ask what your pastor is talking about and where he got the idea for such. I believe we should always be concerned when extra-biblical things are taught as a necessity for having or being everything God desires. I don't know if this is what your pastor is doing, but I would encourage you to find out. If he won't answer you or gets mad that you asked there is another reason to be concerned.

God bless as you seek His perfect will.

Bro Tony

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I don't know if this is what your pastor is doing, but I would encourage you to find out."

Agreed. If you don't know, ask him. He may something totally harmless in mind. There are several contexts in which it could be totally mainstream. But you should find out.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Phrases like "upper room experience" are catch-phrases used by charismatics et al. Not by typical Baptists.

[icon]WARNING LIGHTS[/icon]

7. superdave

superdave New Member

The only thing required to exercise your spiritual gifts is to exercise them, you don't even need to know what they are!