1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Upset and Lost.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Wanderer, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

The last couple of weeks have been overly stressing and confusing. If you read my last post you would better understand my situation. However since it’s an older post I think its time for an update and a small rant. I would love your opinions and inputs though I have already made up my mind thus far. However it’s always nice to hear form others.

Earlier this month I had made my mind up about which College I would be attending this fall, so far my decision has been Hyles-Anderson. Well that was the school I was going to be attending until today.

Anyways over the last few months I have had a hard time finding work. So I called the school and explained to them my dilemma, naturally they didn’t seem to believe me. So after months of calling and running my minutes through the roof they decided to tell I could come down for summer classes and then I would be able to stay on campus and get a local job to save for the coming semester. I of course relayed this with my pastor and he thought it was a great idea. Only one problem though, I don’t have any money.

Well after talking with my Pastor he decided he wanted to ask the church for help, I said no thank you of course, but he insisted. Well it’s been two weeks now and I’m supposed to be down there this Friday and the pastor has done nothing. By the way this isn’t the first time the pastor says he will do something and then doesn’t. Anyways the school told me how much it would cost and I relayed it back to the pastor. My pastor said that shouldn’t be much of a problem. Well three days ago I call the school again to ask them questions about insurance and of course they decided to do another cost run down with me. But this time the cost has doubled form what the first guy told me. Obviously that’s another set back. Also this isn’t the first time the school has done this.

Also I have been “in touch” with some school officials, well they say there going to call me back and never do, so I call them with no returning phone call. I’m honestly done with this school. I love the students and the teachers are fairly nice. But I keep getting the run around, now I’m to dizzy to know what going on. My pastor of course says he will call them to find out what’s going on and he never does. Just like the time when he said he would help me find a school that would suit me and naturally after badgering him for months about it he takes me to Hayles because that where he graduated form.

If you read the last post on my last topic you will better understand this. It’s a short post.:tonofbricks:
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=40887&page=2

#1 Wanderer, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I would continue to look for a school. At one time I was sure that I had found a school that met all the criteria I had and I had prayed over it and yet everything still fell apart at enrollment time. There was a reason for this. It was not where I was supposed to be.

Continue to look. God has someplace for you to train. This is probably not it. If it is it, it will still be there in another semester or two.

3. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

Thank you!

My Pastor never told me there were so many other school’s, it wasn’t till to long ago that I decided to use the internet to search out other schools. When I was at Hyles it didn’t feel right, of course I thought that was my only option at the time.

Anyways I found a local college less than a mile from where I live. I called to set an appointment up and about half way through the tour it didn’t feel godly or like much of a Christian school. About half way through the tour I had a moment to my self, I said a small prayer and not even a minute later another school that I have been praying about and been in contact with calls me to ask how I was doing. Maybe that sound weird or maybe I’m looking into “why” I got that phone call when I did at that time of day. I’ve had nothing but good feeling about this school.

My biggest problem is my pastor, I love the people in my church and the pastor is a good man, except when a friend of his walks in the room he drops our conversation. Of course that has been upsetting me. And I know I’m not supposed to gossip.

What I’m trying to get at here is if I decide to look for another church, one where I can spiritually grow and when the pastor talks about doing stuff and actually does it, I wont be able to get into the college that I want to. Since most require your Pastors signature and a good report from him.

Edit: I do have a job, its just been rather slow. Not enough to pay the bills and save.

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

When my youngest was looking at schools, we went to a "Christian" school to look. They never prayed they whole day, not even before lunch. I know what you mean.

You don't have to go to school right now. I understand your desire is great! I didn't get to go to school until after I had my kids. I had to wait. Sometimes you just have to do that. Sometimes the money comes from surprising sources. Right now you need to pray and wait on the Lord. I know you are disappointed. I know you are anxious to get started. I really do understand. I'm praying with you.

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

You have been given good advice. When God calls you someplace, He will provide a way for you. So keep looking until He does that. Praying here too...

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God even calls people to secular schools. And as I said in the earlier thread; He sent me there to get an education and to meet my wife....who I met on the first day in my first class.

Wonderer, what are you trying to be? A teacher? A pastor? An architect? An engineer? Do you know yet?

I'm concerned for you, that's all.

Brian

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I just love how God works! In ways and places, we don't often expect.

2. That's why He's God and we are not!

8. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

Wanderer:

One piece of advice (you may be acting upon this action already, but it is always good to be reminded). How are you in being faithful to what we so often deem as the "little things"? I mean, how consitent are you, on a daily basis, or Bible reading, prayer, and witnessing? How about church attendance and working with the ministry at your church.

Remember to be faithful with the "little things". It seems so often that most Christians disregard the "little things" but expect God to let them be a part of the "bigger things".

Lu 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much

That works the other way around as well, if you are unfaithful in that which is least you will be unfaithful in that which is much.

I am not saying you are not faithful in these "little things", for I don't know you at all. I am saying, keep this in remembrance for all time, and IF this is your situation, be faithful in the "little things" so God can use you for the big things. What a difference America would be today if ALL those that are saved were faithful to the "little things".

9. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

Ill try to answer you all in this one post since I don’t know how to multi quote.

I am faithful to my service attendance; I’ve only missed church on a couple of different occasions. Once due to work on a Wednesday and another for being sick to my stomach, missed that Sunday night mainly because I had no way of getting to church other than hoofing it two miles, no way I would of ever made it.

Missed last Sunday night’s service for an auto show a friend and me had entered months ago at large local church, over seven hundred cars in attendance and since we custom built his car from scratch we are trying to get our names out there. And that’s about it; I have only missed four services this last eight months.

I want to open my own church in Alaska; I had an unusual experience when I stayed there for a summer. Other wise I’m asking guidance for a pastor position or a teaching position.

I read my bible almost every day, I never was a big reader although I am rather good at it, and I find the other things in life distracting. So lately I have been getting up and showering then going out back to read for one to two hours.

I pray all the time, not only do I pray I like to talk to god both in my head and out loud. I’m sure he likes to listen to me. I give thanks and even try to sing, sadly I'm not a very good singer nor do I have a good memory.

As for witnessing, that’s something I need to do more often. I don’t like walking up to peoples doors around here UN invited. I grew up through high school around here and most of these people are church goers, I feel like I’m stepping on there toes. The biggest problem with this area is there are more churches than people. I know I’m being selfish. This is something I’ve been trying to overcome.

Ministry at our church is none existent, I’ve brought up the bus ministry several times and the preacher does nothing. Several families are over zealous and like to do other peoples jobs. I was supposed to be the guy filling up the baptizing tub, but since preacher didn’t go out all winter and now he goes out for one hour on Saturday there hasn’t been any need for me doing my job. We only have five-ten people on Wednesday nights and Saturday nights is not any different, with Sunday morning having fifteen to thirty.

This is what caused out church to fall apart, people getting over zealous and doing other peoples jobs because they don’t like theirs.

My mother told me this morning I should start going out to other churches. My problem is I have never been to another church, I don’t even know where another Baptist church is located. I stopped in this one back in January and liked what I heard, so I decided to stay and stopped looking that night.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you want to plant a church in Alaska, maybe you should seek an undergraduate education that would allow you to obtain secular employment there.

11. Bro. Williams

Bro. Williams New Member

I had a fellow public school teacher who retired from Alaska and then started working again in KY tell me that the pay is great, the benefits are great and the schools are great. She was from KY so I don't believe she was biased to begin with... but it always sounded like a great place to teach. I am sure that they have some good secular colleges up there as well that one could go to while working in the ministry up there. Plus, with the help that the Fed gives now, one could probably get a good amount of their education paid for, especially if looked to teach special education.

Wanderer:

I am sure that there are some "rescue mission" works up there. Those places are always looking for workers and volunteers.

12. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

When I was an undergrad, I took some correspondence science courses through the University of Alaska. They have several satellite locations.