1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Urban Legends and Preaching

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Hal Parker, Jul 9, 2002.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Don't get me wrong, Larry, I'm not saying "Never use illustrations." But I just don't believe sermons should be a string of them. We're preachers, not illustrators :D Illustrations are supplemental props, nothing more. Not that I think you're saying this, but my reaction against illustrations is really a reaction against the new postmodern homiletic.
    I disagree a bit here. Sometimes people need it spelled out, just as Jesus did in His teaching, and Peter and Paul in his preaching and writing. The puritans were masters at this. If you want to learn how to change the oil in your car and decide to go ask your mechanic to teach you how to do it, would you rather him tell you and show you how, or would you want to hear him tell you stories he's heard of how people have changed their oil?
    Again, illustrations have their place, but it's a supplemental one at the very highest.

[ July 12, 2002, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: TomVols ]

2. Hal Parker

Hal Parker New Member

Here is another one.

The number of earthquakes is increasing each year. This is a sign of the end times.

This has been refuted. For example, see:

"Twentieth-Century Earthquakes: Confronting An Urban Legend"
    by Steven A. Austin in Impact No. 295 (January 1998)
    http://www.icr.org/pubs/imp/imp-295.htm

Dr. Austin checked information from the following areas:
    1. National Earthquake Information Center (NEIC) of the United States Geological Survey (USGS).
    2. Council of the National Seismic System (CNSS), a consortium of thirty seismological institutions.
    3. National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

He then graphed the information. The graph does NOT show a steady increase in earthquakes over time. It goes up and down but there is not a consistent upward trend.

[ July 16, 2002, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Hal Parker ]