1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

US city planning ban on low-slung baggy pants

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by moondg, Aug 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Baggy trousers that hang way below the belt and expose what the wearer has on underneath could soon be banned in the southern US city of Atlanta, a city council spokesman said.
    "Many youngsters are walking around with their pants way, way below their waists, and you can see everything. Some people call it a fad or a fashion statement but it is simple indecency," Dexter Chambers, the communications director at Atlanta City Council, said.
    "A proposal to change the city code in terms of indecency will go before the public safety legal administrative committee on Tuesday for discussion.
    "From there it would go before the city council, but it's difficult to say when it could be passed. It depends on how much airing it receives, if you pardon the expression."
    Councilman CT Martin proposed adding a clause to the city code on public morals "after several of his constituents, including many teachers, asked him to do something about this indecency," Mr Chambers said.
    The ordinance, of which AFP obtained a copy, states that "the dress fad of wearing low hanging/saggy pants which exposes ones underwear is becoming a major concern for communities, cities and states around the country."
    It proposes adding a clause to the code on public morals
    Press reports have said that the proposed changes would make it illegal for women to run wearing just a sports bra, or to expose their bra straps.
    "The ordinance doesn't mention anything about bras. The American Civil Liberties Union brought that up," Mr Chambers said.
    The trend of wearing oversized trousers that fall down and expose one's smalls derives from the US prison system.
    "It started in prison, where, as I understand it, belts are taken away from inmates. But it evolved into a situation where it was used by prisoners to let others know they were 'available,' and it still has that sexual connotation," Mr Chambers said.
    Very low-slung trousers are already banned in the southern US city of Delcambre, in Louisiana, where offenders' cheek can earn them a fine of $US500 or up to six months in jail.
    But Atlanta would not be so harsh, Mr Chambers said.Yea give that man a raise. It is about time someone made them pull there pants up.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: :thumbs:

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

Possible slogans:
    • "Just say NO to Crack"
    • "Turn the other cheek...but cover it first!"
    • "Cop writing you a ticket? Maybe the end is near!"
    • "Boxers or briefs? Misdemeanors!"
    • "Duct tape: Now 1,002 uses!"
    • "Don't be the butt of policemen's jokes."
    • "Pull up or pay up!"
    • (for ladies) "Pull up your Dukes" (get it? Daisy Dukes?)
    • "Our new law has gotten little exposure"
    • "Please be aware: the freedom of your end could spell the end of your freedom!"
    • "Yes, you have the right to bear arms. No you have no right to bare behinds."
    :laugh: :laugh: :applause: :tonofbricks:

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Just a note here: When coying news stories it is imperative that we have a link. Thanks in advance for your help.

Now, on to the topic. I can't wait to see if this is genuine. All the articles online come from the same source - AFP. Don't know anything about that source. It seems like a good enough idea, but I just can't see the feasibility of a "pants police" going around writing tickets ot arresting people for low slung trousers when the police are already over stressed with real crime. I just can't see someone in jail for six months for wearing their trousers too low.

Anyway, it looks genuine, but one city councilman making a proposal is a long way from it becoming law.

Here is a good viewpoint, IMHO

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps...=/20070827/OPINION03/708270324/1058/OPINION03

#4 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2007
  5. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Enforcing the law against low slung baggy pants would be a challenge to enforce in such a large city as Atlanta but if it can be done there it can be done anywhere.
    And yet I wonder if this would fall under the jurisdiction of the Fashion Police.

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

So ken you are for legalizing marijuana but you are for making baggy pants illegal. Does that not seem odd and almost contradictory to your stance on less government? Or so you say

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

8. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is this true?

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

marijuana and crack are two different things. :D :D :D

10. TLB

TLB New Member

lol...the kids and i were on our way to our church gym a few weeks back and heard on the radio that the "powers that be" in Louisiana were planing such a thing. i can say that i for one am all for no more sagging pants in public...but....i was wondering......in Louisiana....will that mean there will be a "public ban" on exposing all other parts at Mardi gras celebrations??????

11. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am for decriminalizing all actions by consenting adults in the privacy of their homes or places of business.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a perfect libertiarian. I am also for making animal cruelty within Arkansas a felony.

If the national government was making a law banning sagging pants, then I would have a problem with it.

I give much more leeway to states and especially localities when it comes to making laws. If one does not like the laws of a state or locality then one can move to another state or locality if it means that much to one.

14. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Gotchya!:thumbs:

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

16. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iran, Saudi, and the Taliban had their "morality police", running around whacking mostly women for having even a strand of hair hanging out from their headgear.

Don't get me wrong, I find these kinds of pants really disgusting, and lessens my respect for kids who wear them, but I don't think things like this can be legislated.

Decency ought to begin at home.

But, what do I know about decency and Christian values, eh ?
    I'm the guy who wished he could have a minute with people who burn up small kids, right ? :rolleyes:

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Style is one thing but decency is another. showing our butts in public is a lack of respect for others as well as our selves.

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.
    But what can we do if maybe the parents walk around the house in their underwear, no buttons in front, with their facial hair unshaved, and cans of beer all over the floor, and maybe talk like a swear word every other sentence ?

Yeah, yeah, I know, some of these kids come from good families.

Or the rapper on tv wears the butt-out style ?

Heck, I remember when low waist pants were considered obnoxious by the generation before me, man.

Never did wear those lo-waist style, but partly because I was really portly, and my tummy hung out, not my butt. :smilewinkgrin:

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Good point, 2 Tim! Oh wait...you're talking about clothing. I was drawing a totally different application. :laugh:

(nah, I ain't talkin' bout none of ya'll...)

20. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you for that clarification.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.