1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Usagi the Yakuza Gangster

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Amen!!!

Ditto that here too....Amen!

Bro.Greg:thumbsup:

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, Greg and Bob, here's another installment.

After rejoicing greatly at Usagi's belief in Christ, I began preparing him for baptism. This is not as easy a task in Japan as it is in the homeland, where many churches dunk them right away, the same day they come forward for baptism. Many Japanese, even after believing in Christ, have still not completely broken away from idolatrous practices, which are intertwined all through Japanese culture: Shinto "god shelfs" and Buddhist "Buddha boxes" in the home, idolatry in the festivals and national holidays, visits to temples and shrines by school children, etc. They may not even realize certain practices are idolatry!

Others are reluctant to make this public step for different reasons, realizing that by being baptized they will be marked permanently in their society as a weakling, and may even be told by friends, family and acquaintances, "You are no longer a Japanese." In Japan Christianity, at less than one percent of the population (including the Catholics and cults!), is considered a foreign religion for weak people, since many people only trust in Christ when having a crisis in their life such as serious illness, injury or heartbreak.

Thus, during our Bible study times every Wednesday afternoon I prepared for the long haul. We began studying through a followup pamphlet with lots of Scriptures and with blank spaces for the student to write in the answers. We discussed the Bible and personal devotions, prayer, church attendance and other things a new Christian should know. For months we simply studied, and I hardly mentioned baptism, waiting for Usagi to bring up the subject. The most important thing about followup in Japan especially is not just taking the baptism candidate through a set of lessons, but strengthening the ties between the believer and his church, pastor, other believers and the Lord. So I waited and watched and taught.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

John, Most of us think the culture of the world is like our until we stop and think about it. To see the teaching you have to do in the culture of Japan shows me more of what other missionary have to do in what ever place they are in.
    We have small culture differences here in the US as many know who have services are been members in churches in difference parts of our country. Thanks again, you are bringing up things that is and can be helpful to most all of us.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do hope this thread is helping folk understand how different Asia is. After coming to Japan I read somewhere that it takes about 10 years for a Westerner to learn to understand an Asian country. After being here about that long, one day I said to the wife, "I think I've figured this country out finally," and she said the same thing. At that time, not only had we lived here for ten years, I had practiced Japanese martial arts, read dozens of books on the country, and gone to college with Japanese believers. But it's a very complicated society and culture.

Fortunately, God can use us even in our ignorance, so I thank Him for things accomplished in those years, folks saved and Christians helped.

5. Gregory Perry Sr.

God Bless You...

God bless you Bro.John and thank you for your testimony,these wonderful accounts of the power and work of God there in Japan and your valuable insights about it all. I just bowed and prayed for you and Patty and the work there....no time like the present to pray. I look forward to meeting you...probably in glory...one of these days. I'd come to Japan but I'd have to drug my wife to get her on a plane:laugh:! I guess we'll have to wait for that "plain-air" ride instead of the airplane kind...amen?

Bro.Greg:thumbsup:

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks much for the prayers, brother. You are welcome to visit us all by your lonesome if your wife won't come--but of course it's always better with one's better half!

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As we got into the follow-up pamphlet, Usagi said that he would study the whole pamphlet and then talk about baptism. This is a typical attitude in Japan, where they put high value on qualifications. In Usagi's mind, he would be qualified to be baptized when he had finished the follow-up course!

We knew a lady who had certificates from all sorts of arts, crafts and sports, all from training and studying. But she never did anything but study and train! She just wanted those certificates! You've heard of the degree ranks of the Japanese martial arts, such as 1st degree, 2nd degree, up to tenth degree black belt. Well they don't have the belts, but they have those degrees in all sorts of things, not just the martial arts: Shogi (Japanese chess), flower arranging, the tea ceremony, etc.

However, never underestimate God. One Wednesday afternoon as I studied the Word of God with Usagi, he surprised me by saying, "I'm ready to be baptized." I didn't urge him, I didn't persuade him, the Holy Spirit did! So we set the date and made preparations.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The baptism was held in 2009 at our sister church here in town, which has their own baptistry. Our meeting hall (just a large rented office space in an apartment building) is not suited for having our own baptismal, though we do have a nice river near by. ; } If we couldn't have used their baptistry I would have found a way. I've baptized in a homemade baptistry and a public bathhouse before (not what you might think).

We took the pulpit off the baptistry (really!) and then took off the lid to expose it for use. Usagi San gave his testimony, a good one, and then I got down to stand next to the very small baptistry and he got in the water. I baptized him just like you were baptized in America if you are a Baptist, then he went and changed while we sang a song or two. After he came out I gave him his baptismal certificate (very important in Japan), shook hands and bowed, and then we all congratulated him. (I'll try to upload some baptismal photos soon.)

What a wonderful day that was! How I rejoiced. But then a month or two later things got really interesting when he confided his big secret to me. Stay tuned!

9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for more!

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay Bob, here we go.

Everything was great. God had saved ex-con, former drug addict, ex-gangster Usagi, and he was growing in grace. All of this makes for truly praising God for His salvation--not to mention an exciting prayer letter, not that writing exciting prayer letters are the motive for winning souls!

We stopped by every Sunday morning to pick him up for church, and the 15 minute ride to church was always a good chance for counseling and follow-up. Then one day as we rode to church Usagi dropped a bombshell, saying in his macho Hokkaido dialect, "Um, pastor, you remember how I told you that when I was young I was in the yakuza?" Well of course I remembered. "Well, after I got into my 50's I rejoined. I'm a yakuza gangster right now."

Oh, boy. I had baptized and welcomed into my church as a member someone who was already a member--of a gang involved in drugs, prostitution, con games and a host of other illegal activities. I was immediately presented with several ethical and spiritual problems, as you can imagine. The next few months would be a challenge.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've made an album of Usagi's baptism in my profile albums. Check it out: "Baptisms in Japan." I'll add baptismal photos of others eventually, including my home-made baptistry the first time I baptized.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Oh My.....!

Ok Bro.John....I think Bro.Bob will agree....now you REALLY got us on the edge of our seats! Our Brother John...the gangland preacher! :tongue3: By the way...I hope some of the email I send you is useful. Happy Thanksgiving! Do ya'll celebrate that over there...even privately?

Bro.Greg

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me tell you, it's been quite a ride!

Yes, I enjoy your forwards.

Japan has an imitation "Thanksgiving for Labor" on today, the Friday after the American thanksgiving. But we celebrated with turkey and the fixins' on Tuesday evening at our co-workers' house across town. Had a great time, watched some American football.

I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

14. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This sounds like one of those proverbial "From the Electric Chair to the Saw Dust Trail" stories.

15. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's an ongoing story, and only God knows where it will end up, and He's not telling me! :type:

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember when we met Usagi? He was sitting on a bench downtown in the Kaimono Koen ("Shopping Park") outdoor mall. I finally learned what he was doing there that day: recruiting for the yakuza! He would cruise the Koen looking for disaffected young men, inviting them to join an exciting organization with a great future! Yeah, right. His main targets were young men with a poor home life, and there were even cases where mothers would send their boys to Usagi, asking him to take them into the yakuza because Mom couldn't do anything with them anymore and the yakuza had discipline at least!

Usagi was also a third level leader in the gang in our city (200 members total). The top guy was the local godfather (it's a national organization), then two division leaders under him, then the squad leaders like Usagi, who had five young men under him. I've met the #2 man and a couple of the young men under Usagi and they are very unimpressive. Being a black belt, I'm sure I could take on several of them without breaking a sweat. So where does the power of the yakuza come from? Intimidation. Group action. Disdain for the law and a willingness to flout it. When you take on one yakuza, you take on the whole gang, and that is scary!

17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, maybe "The Capo Comes To Christ" is a better title.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll have to learn the yakuza term for "capo." :thumbs:

19. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also, the Russians call their mafiosi "biznes men".

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yakuza use "the company" as a euphemism. And they do have a literal home office, which they try to keep hidden from the police (yeah, right),