1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Use a computer for church music

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by KJVO, Oct 26, 2005.

1. KJVO

KJVO New Member

I hope that this is not in the wrong forum.
    What I am wanting to do is convert tapes and cd's of instrumentals to my computer (on media player) and work my computer into the church sound system. When we need a certain song for a special instead of looking through a bunch of tapes and cd's we just pull it up, click and there it is. Is this possible?
    Thanks, Bro. Hugh

2. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You will need a stereo adapter cable that connects the line out jack (usually a small black circle with a hole in the middle) on your sound card and splits it into two RCA plugs (usually red and white). Most sound boards have RCA inputs.

3. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

And, a lot of the soundcards that I have used (or have seen used) are very noisy. This is just a head's up for ya saying that you might want to really listen to the PC that you are considering using for your services before committing to just any one. Otherwise, it's a great idea. You could build a playlist for each service ahead of time and have everything you need all cued-up. Oh yeah... get a CD burner and BACK IT ALL UP TWICE, or maybe even a DVD burner. The files can be real big depending on which file type you want to use.

4. kubel

kubel New Member

You should be able to do this with any computer, but you will need good backup, a high quality sound card, and a large hard drive (or two).

1) Hopefully you already have somewhat of a powerful system with at least 1 PCI port open. Hyperthreading, dual-core, or SMP is a plus, especially when it comes to all the encoding you will be doing.

2) You will want to have a nice sound card. A good Audigy 2 ZS Platinum will cost about $175. It has all the ports you will ever need and some that you won't, and comes with a remote control.

3) You will want some sort of backup. Whether it be an extra hard drive (fast), a DVD burner (slow), or whatever.

Also, remember that silence is the key. This computer will be running during the entire service, so silence is really a good thing. Our church uses a laptop to encode the preaching and special music during the service since its quiet and can be portable for projector use. But we still rely on the soundboard, cd, and tape players for audio playback.