1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Use of "Pastor"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Mark Reid, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Mark Reid

Mark Reid New Member

When did the term Pastor start to come into general use as a title and office for the leader of a church?

2. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To the best of my knowledge, this is the earliest reference.

- Clint

3. Mark Reid

Mark Reid New Member

The question I had in mind was historical rather than scriptural - when did the term Pastor become a commonly used term to describe the leader of a church?

4. DocCas

DocCas New Member

Every latin text translates ποιμεν as pastor. The earliest date usually assigned to the Old Latin is around 150 AD.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Originally posted by Mark Reid:
    I believe the question can be restated as
    I hope this clears the mud up a bit.
    Keith

6. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

In the area where I am, it is fairly recent innovation to use "Pastor" as a title rather than an office. It seems to have begun with Pentecostal types, and then spread to others. Course I have no proof, but just an observation of the way seem to have taken place.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would hazard that the usage developed in the mid-1700s. It problably developed as a way to signify a "teaching" Elder from a "ruling" Elder. Until the mid-1800s, the common courtesy title was simply "Elder". However, as the Protestant Denominations titled their "parish" leaders, "Pastors". It was simply a matter of ecclesiastical diplomacy to call ours by the same title. This is true especially as most of us reject and rightfully so the title "Reverend".

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    May be a great variety by region, as well as by urban v rural. A title doesn't come into use all at once everywhere.

I was called "parson" and lived in a "parsonage" in a rural Wisconsin church until 1978. It was 100 year old church and the deacons [who helped found it, I'm sure [​IMG] ] used that term all the time!

Moved 200 miles away, to another small town, but a newer church and was called "pastor" and never "parson" again.

Of course, the wife always calls me "The Seldom Right Reverend". Another thread.

9. Bro. John Willis

Bro. John Willis New Member

Brother Bob:
    Can you help me with this "title" thing?
    The office is called both bishop and elder in the New Testament, that I know. However, tell me more about the terms parson, reverend, divine etc,. To be sure, isn't pastor called a gift in the book of Ephesians rather than an office?
    Watching and waiting
    Your brother
    John
    P.S. Does your wife also consider you slighty warped as you say in your newsletter? LOL