1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Used to be...

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by SendMe, Apr 8, 2005.

1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The infallible one-and-only God gave us His word, and allowed fallible men to translate it into the various languages He had/has given various nations to use.

Exact words? Scott J gives a good example. If I had some Japanese children as guests and only one of them spoke English, and if I told that child to tell the others I said to wash up for dinner, he would pass my message in entirely-different words with not quite the same exact meaning as my English words. "Wash UP", if literally translated, may mean something entirely different to a Japanese speaker than it does to us, and "dinner" may be called by a Japanese word that translates into something somewhat different in English. As Scott said, the important thing is that they got the message to wash their hands, etc. before eating their supper.

Same with Scripture. Although a good deal of today's English comes from Greek, it doesn't actually resemble Greek much at all, while Hebrew & English are still farther apart. However, none of this is lost on GOD. As the Creator of all languages, He knows all their nuances & subtleties, and causes His word to appear in each of them AS HE CHOOSES. He is NOT LIMITED whatsoever in how He may choose to provide His word in any given language, and in English He's certainly not limited by a fairly recent man-made false doctrine about a certain English version of His word. Shame on anyone who tries to LIMIT GOD as to how He may supply His word.