1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Using a Tablet as a Church Bible - Good Idea or Not?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TripleB, Nov 27, 2012.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The idea that someone may think you are playing on the tablet is funny because that is exactly what happened to hubby. 8 years ago, he crushed his foot in a bad fall off the roof and I had to carry stuff for him for 5.5 months as he was on crutches and non-weightbearing. When he then almost ripped his little toe off a few years later, he decided to use his iTouch for a Bible instead of having me carry one around. Well, one of the Sundays we were at church, Pastor started talking about people texting in church (the kids were conversing instead of listening), he said to approach those who looked like they were texting and address it. Well, right after that message, a woman came up to my husband and asked him if he were texting. LOL - He pulled out the iTouch and showed her that it was the Bible app he was using and it was easier to have that in his pocket than to carry his big Bible. She understood and no one ever questioned him since then.

But I see it so much more nowadays. One of our pastors even preaches off the Bible app! Like I said, I still prefer a paper copy but man, that electronic version is mighty handy!

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Do you scour the BB looking for things to disagree with? I said it in jest as people tend to look favorably at those with fish stickers on their car...something the op was concerned with. Sheesh :rolleyes:

3. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

The electronic version is just so much more helpful. For those of us with vision problems that are better some days than others it is a huge blessing to be able to increase the font size at will. And I can flip from one Bible verse reference to another almost at the speed the preacher can say it- oh, yeah, I AM the preacher- LOL.

I use an iPad to preach/teach from now. No more papers flying out of the pulpit or having to use paperclips to hold the Bible pages when I'm preaching at camp under the fan in the summer.

I still love books, the smell, the touch, the ability to underline and jot down notes in the margins, but they are slowly losing favor with the convenience of Kindle and the ability to read a book across a wide range of devices- I can start a book at home on the iPad, continue to read it on my iPhone at the doctor's office, and again on the laptop while I am at work.

What a blessing!:godisgood:

4. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have a nice leather case for my IPad and sometimes carry it to church. There is the temptation to play with it during the service so I normally carry old faithful (KVJ Open Bible) with me.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use my cellphone.

Read/heard something a couple of years back: we get out to our cars and realize we don't have our cellphones with us, and we don't think twice about going back inside to get them; but unless it's Sunday, most of us don't do the same regarding our bibles. I've made sure to have a bible app on my cellphone ever since.

6. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

iPad in Church?

Good idea.

I have used an iPad for nearly a year, and have used it in Sunday service for some time. I love the fact that I can quickly take notes from the sermon to compare with Scripture later.

Who cares if others think I am texting or surfing the net? God knows, as does my wife, what I am doing with my iPad... and I am not texting, nor surfing during services.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

exactly! If they are concerned with what you are doing they are not focusing on what they should be doing. I also have a problem with any pastor calling out the congregation to police themselves. If the pastor doesn't like a teen texting during church (if he knows this for certain), he needs to address it with him in private after, or with the parents.

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No I was not disagreeing I did not understand the "jest". Thanks for clarification.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

No problem :thumbs:

10. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I say go for it. I plan to do the same thing next year. Gotta budget the cost before I can acquire an iPad. I know several pastors/staff who use an iPad exclusively in and out of the pulpit. Some folks may complain, but they have no biblical basis to do so.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Saving for my iPad as well. Its taking a while, but my wife has hinted she may kick in some help for Christmas.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I carry my Kindle to church. It has 5 English versions plus 2 Greek texts loaded onto it. It also has about 50 fiction titles, two English Dictionaries, a Greek Lexicon, and a lot of music. If I get bored with the Sermon or Sunday School there is a lot to keep me occupied so I don't get in trouble. :)

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Only 50 fiction?? Man!! I've got about 700 titles on mine now!! G.A. Henty accounts for almost 80 of them (great old historic novels for boys), plus there's another 40+ classics (all of these were free!!!). I LOVE that I can carry around this little thing and yet have an entire library of books on me. :D

14. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I have NOTHING of this sort

No Ipod

no tablet

No kindle

No texting

No anything else that I dont know the name of that are like those.

I Just have a very old cell phone that works just fine, :thumbs: and a wonderfull regular paper and binding Bible

#34 Alive in Christ, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  15. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm in an identical situation. Solidly in the 20th century.

However, if any generous-hearted folks are feeling led to bring me into the 21st century, I am perfectly willing to consider letting you.

A tablet in church. No problem.

I have this image in my mind of Jesus in the synagogue pulling out his Kindle instead of unrolling the scrolls.

#35 Tom Butler, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
  16. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without Reading the Other Comments...

...I would have to say, "whatever ever tugs on your skirt, is good enough for me!"

Now, here's what I think...if is could access this site on an iPad, I'd definitely use it for my regular Bible, because it allows me numerous versions, to compare the text [verses], verse-by-verse, as well as getting a version that reads to my understanding.

Some, who holds to one version over others will probably blast me for this, but having a variety of Bible versions at my cyber finger tips is a cyber miracle that our forefathers could have only hoped for.

Shalom! :type:

17. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

On my iPad now, so that should answer your question.

18. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

For whatever it's worth........

Here at home, I use this computer to access Bible Gateway and several other sites for personal study. It is a blessing, when at 3:00 am, there are resources to tap that were not available when I was a young person in the church. Not just my forefathers. Me too! :)

Ten or eleven o'clock at night is too late to call my pastor and ask him a question, or to wake up a deacon, teacher, etc. to ask them to explain. Further, to seek a second or multiple opinions when something just doesn't seem to be right in the opinion of one (including mine).

That said, perhaps, down the road, one of the gadgets will replace taking the Bible to church. But, not now, and perhaps not in my lifetime. Even though some of the pages are starting to fall out, I still prefer to turn them when the pastor says "Turn to John 3:16".

19. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In addition, I'd throw a fish sticker over the Apple logo as well. You know, for when I'd have to take it out of its cover. (Not a big Apple fan)

I have an HP Touchpad with a few Bible apps on it. I've thought about taking it to church with me, but haven't yet. Still carry my trusty "old fashion" paper Bible. :saint:

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

It is becoming common practice for some.