1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Using drama in worship, ministry and the life of the church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by tenor, Sep 11, 2007.

?
  1. Seasonal pageants

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. Sketches in worship - comic or serious

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  3. Dramatic readings in worship

29 vote(s)
    63.0%
  4. Monologues in worship

22 vote(s)
    47.8%
  5. Liturgical dance/movement

16 vote(s)
    34.8%
  6. Mime or pantomime

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  7. Dinner Theater - outreach or fellowship

28 vote(s)
    60.9%
  8. Sketches for fellowship times

26 vote(s)
    56.5%
  9. No drama should be used as part of a worship service

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  10. No drama should be used at all

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LorenB

LorenB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, but we do know that they preached. Do we know anything at all about the "drama"?

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

A pulpit just provides a platform from which to speak. Questioning the use of a pulpit in a discussion of drama in worship, begs the question.

3. dan e.

dan e. New Member

guys, just because it is not recorded in the Bible doesnt mean it is wrong, or cannot be useful.

This is elementary stuff, come on now.

4. LorenB

LorenB Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

We understand that it is elementary. It isn't supposed to be difficult. The question is "Are there any boundaries to worship?" Where does it all end? Are we left to our own devices or are we to seek out the right and proper ways as close as we can to what was done in the 1st Century? Are we to add and what and when?
    "Every man did that which was right in his own eyes" is not how I would want my epitaph to read.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We can also say "Did the apostles use a sound system?", "Did the apostles use tapes or CDs?", "Did the apostles use tracts?", "Did the apostles use hymnals?", "Did the apostles use offering baskets?", "Did the apostles use a baptismal?", "Did the apostles use video and TV?", "Did the apostles use the internet?"

There are lots of things that change - not necessarily for the good or the bad but they change. We also have a different kind of an audience than what the apostles had. I know they're sinners needing a Savior but they are also people who have grown up and been "trained" to get information a certain way. We can certainly change the method of transporting the message to them to be able to reach them as long as we do not change the message.

6. tenor

tenor New Member

If it is done well and in the right spirit, drama (many forms) can be a great enhancement to worship and proclamation. It can be as effective as any preaching, not that it eplaces preaching.

The NT also doesn't mention the instruments or part singing in worship either.

Actually, Jesus was very dramatic in his teaching. The telling of stories is one of the basic tenents of a drama ministry.

PLease, don't try to equate the use of dramatic elements in worship with the rampant sin of Israel during the time of the Judges. That dog won't hunt.

7. tenor

tenor New Member

Actually, all these things can and should be included in my definition. As to your first comment - "No drama in worship" and "No drama at all" are included. I would have had more options in the survey, but I was limited to 10.

8. tenor

tenor New Member

Yes, indeed, thanks Ann.

9. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

My question about pulpits was a response to SFIC's question about where you find drama specifically mentioned as being used by the Apostles.

The inference I drew from his question was that "Unless you find it used in the NT, it's somehow UNscriptural."

If I drew the wrong conclusion from SFIC's question, I stand to be corrected.

No....I don't know of a passage in the NT that specifically indicates that drama was ever used by the Apostles, but that per se doesn't make it UNscriptural any more than the absence of a verse that specifically states that an Apostle preached from a pulpit.

We have used drama, skits, etc., in our services, and I see nothing UNscriptural about it.

10. standingfirminChrist

I was not asking the question in the manner that many took it as. I was simply asking if there was Scripture reference anywhere of the Apostle's using drama... Nothing more.

But since you seem to be so touchy and offended, could it be conviction?:wavey:

11. tenor

tenor New Member

No offense taken. The answer to our current definitions wold be no. In the larger scheme of things, yes. When healing the beggar in Acts - "silver and gold have I none . . ." You will probably differ with me on this, but it is a very dramatic moment.

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No conviction here! I love to use drama and have seen people be truly saved through the use of drama and other creative arts. We recently had the homegoing of a wonderful saint who came to know Jesus at one of our Christmas dramas years ago. :godisgood:

Again, nope - the apostles said nothing about using drama. That certainly doesn't mean we can't use it though! :D

13. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

The funny thing is that Jesus used storytelling as a means to share--that is a precursor to the story telling of mimes or other dramas.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I'm as dumb as a rock when it comes to understand the dance as worship. I'm too dense to get it. Not blessed by it at all.

15. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Drama, when used for outreach , is just Arminians trying to supplement the Gospel.

16. tenor

tenor New Member

So, you are saying that there is only one way to present the gospel or are you just so Calvinist that you see no need to share the gospel.

It is by no means a supplement it is merely a different approach.

17. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Back in my teen years my home church had as a seminary intern a young woman who produced several dramas, done not in the worship service but as an extra program. It was in acting in those dramas that I learned to train my memory for large chunks of material. I also learned how to get out of my shy self a bit!

I am sure it could be overdone, but occasionally I will do my sermon in character and costume, as if I were a certain Biblical character. It gives me freedom to get out from behind the pulpit and stride up and down the aisles, etc., delving into the feelings that a Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Paul, etc. communicates. People seem to find it very meaningful.

On at least one occasion -- a Reformation Sunday -- I did a non-Biblical character, Martin Luther. I thought it was a way to teach a bit of history but still, of course, focus on the central theme of justification by faith.

In the church where I am now a member, there is a young woman who is among the best interpretive readers I have ever heard. She is frequently asked to read the Scripture text before the sermon, and you FEEL the meaning of it. It is good to remember that there are several paths to learning, and discursive, logical dissertations are only one path.

18. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

Well, the Bible is a very dramatic book. It's one of the reasons I started reading it in the first place. I was fascinated by all the stories, even as a child. I don't know how you can avoid the drama in a worship service.

love,

Sopranette

19. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Where do we go, Dan e.? The question was asked whether the apostles used drama. I (obviously wrongly) imagined that when you wrote, "Here we go", a list of bible references was to follow that would show that the apostles did indeed use drama.

20. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Yes, there is only one way to present the Gospel. It is to present the Gospel in the way Christ and the Apostles did, and the way we have explained in Scripture.

For more information on how to properly share the Gospel you can check out this website : www.wayofthemaster.com