1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Using quotes in sermons

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Monergist, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Monergist

Monergist New Member

When a speaker quote extensively from a published source yet does not mention that the material did not orginate with him, and does not mention the author, does this not constitute plagiarism?

2. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When one considers a bit of information from 100 sources might contribute to making a sermon (and that is no exaggeration) then it would be impossibly distracting to try to credit each one.

But a quotation, a major thought or idea gleaned from your reading or from listening to another sermon ought to be given full credit.

It ought to be factual, but not dry or academic. Couch the wording different for each reference. For example</font>
    • As John MacArthur wrote in his commentary . . .</font>
    • The renowned prince of preachers Charles Spurgeon once said . . .</font>
    • These were the salient points Dr. John Piper was making when . . .</font>
    • I'm reminded of a story that I read on the internet by Dr. Bob Griffin, author of the daily Grif.Net . . . </font>

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

To me, it depends on several things with varying degrees of applicability. Among them are things such as:

1. Is it a recognizable or significant name? In other words, will it mean anything to the hearer, such as added credibility, etc. For instance, "Charles Spurgeon" will mean something to many of the hearers; "J. Ramsey Michaels" will not.

2. Is it an author or a book I want my people to become familiar with?

Quite often I will say something like, "As one author said," or "One writer put it this way." Names tend to clutter up the sermon with no real purpose for the hearer who doesn't know F. F. Bruce from Edmond Hiebert from Rudolph Bultmann from Markus Barth from ... well you get the picture. However, in my notes, I always put the source information.

Generally, I mention the name only if it is significant or if it contributes to the hearer's "theological education."

[ March 04, 2002, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

5. Chris Temple

Chris Temple New Member

Whoa - I would only use reliable sources for quote! :D :D

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I once heard a very good test about quoting someone else's work or material: imagine the person who actually wrote the material you are quoting was actually listening to you. Would you handle the quote in a way that would not be embarassing to you or indicting of your plagarism? Farily good test I think. And Pastor Larry has a good point. I don't quote every person's name and source work, but I will give credit that it is not my original thought. Noted historian Doris Kearns Goodwin just recently was publicly accused of not properly citing material, so this is definitely an area where preachers must be ethical.

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Being just a lowly SS teacher, I don't have much occasion for this to be a problem. However, when I do quote, I guess I have such a picky conscience, ( :D ) that I feel as if I've lied if I don't give a source.

'Course usually I really hope some of the members will be interested enough to ask about my source for follow-up; does happen occasionally! :D

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Some stuff, like this stuff we get in email, is passed around so much, I don't know if anyone knows who wrote it. I remember hearing stuff in sermons as a youth that is still going around now.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ever hear Rush Limbaugh. When he is going to read an email or an article or a quote, he always "rustles the paper" so the radio listener can hear that he actually HAS a source.

Think giving the name (not all details of a page or book title even) "rustles the paper" so my parishoners can know that there are other strange coots out there like me! :rolleyes: