1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Using the ESV Bible?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by mesly, May 16, 2003.

?
  1. True

100.0%
  2. False, I use other translations and refer to the ESV from time to time.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those of you who are using the ESV Bible, I am interested in knowing how you are using it.

This poll is just to see how many people are actually using the ESV. I recently have been using it an am trying to guage its popularlity.

Thank you for taking the time to answer the poll.

Please do not participate in this poll if you are not using the ESV.

2. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those interested, I first heard about the ESV from a pastor whose church we were visiting back in February of 2002. I didn't think much about it until I started reading about it here on the Baptist Board.

I purchased a hardcopy edition back in April of 2002 and then recently purchased the genuine leather deluxe reference edition.

I have been using it alongside of the NKJV. I will eventually start using it more and more in my ministry. Over all, I am very impressed with it.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ESV is so good at bridging between other translations. Those with a KJV, RSV, NASB or NKJV don't have the difficulty following along with the ESV as sometimes happens with th NIV or NLT. I would use it for preaching, but our pew bibles are NIV so that is what I am using now. When we buy new bibles they will be ESV or NRSV.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed; it's not a jarring transition for those coming from other translations.

I learned about the ESV from the BB, where it was recommended by Chris Temple and TomVols.

5. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

I am quite fond of the ESV. I have been wavering the past couple of months on whether to use it as my primary translation or not. However, I do use it a lot now.

Neal

6. Marathon Man

Marathon Man New Member

I also am quite fond of the ESV. I also waver on whether or not to use it as my primary translation (currently I go back and forth between it and the Updated NASB). If the NASB had not been updated in the mid 90's, it would be a no brainer.

I do wonder if the ESV would've caught on faster had the NASB ( a similar literal translation) not been updated.

7. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been wavering between the NASB, the NKJV, and the ESV for the past 6 months. I have found the following article very helpful (I posted this on another thread, so if you happened to read it there, please disregard): Compring Bible Versions . Even though the author tends to support the NASBu more than the ESV, he does show enough evidence that the ESV is one of the best literal translations. This has really tilted the scale for me towards using the ESV more.

[ May 17, 2003, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: mesly ]

8. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. I am very pleased with the readability and accuracy of the ESV.

In the poll, I wish I could say that I use it for study, but the version I have offers little footnote nor commentary, just textual cross-reference. Crossway has now come out with a companion concordance which I will probably purchase, but the NIV Study Bible is certainly more convenient for that "same page, at a glance" referencing to which I have become accustomed.

Concordance Companion

The ESV is the Bible I am using for my daily reading this year. It is also the Bible I carry to Sunday School and church. Like I said, I am very pleased with it.

9. ruthigirl

ruthigirl New Member

My husband has been using the ESV for his reading and study. It is a great translation. Sometimes, I sneak off with it and use it myself. We both also use the NKJV.

I think that Dr. John Piper is the one who got my husband to use it.

10. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clint, I just purchased a copy from Amazon.com. They have it for $27.99 with free shipping (nice savings over the $39.95 price that Crossway wants). Here is the link: Amazon - ESV Concordance.

11. Clint Kritzer

Clint Kritzer Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you much! [​IMG]

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Odd that only one of us uses the ESV for preaching and teaching. Bryan Chappell, president of Covenant Seminary, said he believed that preachers will go with the ESV way before the people in the pew.

I know that our departed brother Chris Temple used it in the pulpit. I have some friends who do. I know that John Piper has made it his pulpit Bible.

Rambling comments.... :D