1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VA still sending out checks for Spanish-Am & War Between the States

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Winman

Winman Active Member

Wow, that was an interesting story. Hard to imagine there are still folks alive whose parents served in the Civil War.

When I was a young boy in the early 60's there was an elderly lady who used to babysit us on occasion, her father had served in the Civil War, she showed us his uniform and sword. She was around 75-80 years old, so would have been born in the 1880's or thereabout.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I understand more than a few (68-72 yo) ACW vets married much younger women in the 191x period.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Walter Williams, officially recognized as the last survivor of the 4 million who fought in the Civil War, died on December 19, 1959 at 117 years old. He served as forage master for a Confederate cavalry company. The last survivor of the Union Army was Albert Woolson. He died on August 2, 1956 at the age of 109.

It is amazing that these two were alive when I was born.

http://us.yhs4.search.yahoo.com/yhs...o_portal_home&type_param=att_lego_portal_home

Here is an amazing link to a guy who saw Lincoln assasinated on "Ive Got a Secret." I think Nixon and Clinton would have been good contestants on this show. LOL

#4 saturneptune, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2013