1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vacation Bible School

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by FriendofSpurgeon, Jul 13, 2012.

?
  1. We do not have a VBS at my church.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. We have VBS at my church and charge a fee for attending.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. We have VBS. We don't charge a fee but take an offering to offset costs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. We have VBS and don't charge a fee or take up an offering.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. We take an offering to support a mission group.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  6. We always make sure that the Gospel is presented.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  7. We reach out to the childrens' families.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  8. We have less than 300 children.

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  9. We have more than 300 children.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  10. I personally volunteer for VBS.

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does your church have Vacation Bible School each summer? If so, please tell us about it.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yes we do:

* No charge
    * Offering for missionary project
    * Collection of hard goods for a missionary project (we've collected underwear and socks for a homeless shelter, school supplies and backpacks for underprivileged school children, food for a camp for needy kids, etc.)
    * 500 children, 270 workers
    * Gospel given clearly every day
    * I run the refreshment department. :)

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

We not only have less than 300 children in our church (one of the answers), we have less than 30 people, with about half a dozen children or slightly more.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

IF we get a building by next year, we'll be right with you for our campus but we're going to try to run a small VBS. :)

5. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

We do have VBS
    We do not charge a fee
    We do take an offering each night, this year the children's offering went to Bro Jose' Gomez who is building a new church in Tamasopo, San Luis Mexico. He is one of the missionaries our church supports. He came and cooked the children an authentic Mexican meal, shared pictures of the children in his new church and told us all of the work he's doing there.
    The gospel is clearly presented each and every session
    This year we had less than 100 enrolled, but we considered this fabulous...we are a small church. We had 15 workers involved.
    I am the VBS Director.

6. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We charge a nominal fee - I think $10 per week to help offset costs. We started this a few years ago and this has had zero impact on attendance. We also make a CD and VBS t-shirt available for a nominal charge as well.

We take up a love offering every day to support a specific missionary - which changes every year. Also, lunch is available at the end of each day for a nominal fee - hot dogs, chips, sodas, waters, etc., with the proceeds going to support a mission group as well.

The Gospel is always presented during VBS. We also have a Friday night wrap-up where the children are invited to bring their parents back with them - which is a good outreach program.

Lastly, the Sunday following VBS is "VBS Sunday" where the worship is lead by the VBS team and the children are invited up on the stage to sing with them. In addition, the pastor incorporates a lot of the VBS stories into his sermon -- really keeps the kids engaged during the sermon.

While we don't have over 300 children in our church, we do have over 500 children from the community who show up each year. It takes 300 or so volunteers to pull it all together. Thankfully a lot of the youth volunteer as crew leaders and assistant leaders. Plus, we even have some parents who take a week of vacation to help out as well.