Valley of Decision?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by convicted1, Jul 13, 2008.

1. convicted1

convicted1
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Staff

I have heard a few preach over the years that as we go along in our sinner days, that one day we will be in the "Valley of Decision", and in this valley we will have to choose between the "Broad road that leadeth to destruction" or the "Straight and Narrow road that leads to heaven". Once we are placed on either of these roads, we are sealed and there is no turning back. I do believe in both roads, but not in that context. I believe that when we come to the age to doeth good, and doeth it not, to him is sin, we are no longer in the "Ark of Safety", but are subject for hell if we are not saved. This is the "broad road", IMO. While on this road, we have a chance to get off it, if we will believe in our heart that Jesus Christ IS the Son of God. At this moment of salvation, we are then placed on the "Straight and Narrow" road, that leads to Heaven. There are no detours on this road, either.

Now, where in the bible does it ever mention the "Valley of Decision"? I know it says to "choose this day in whom you will serve", so could this be the "Valley of Decision" that many make reference to? My biggest problem with this is this....what about those who are saved late in life? Where they in the V.o.D longer than others, if this is a reality? I imagine Bro Bob knows what I am talking about, and I pray that others do as well, so that I can gain further understanding of what they are saying. Any insight into this subject would be greatly appreciated!!

Willis

2. Amy.G

Amy.G
    Expand Collapse

Perhaps the valley of decision is the time between "knowing good" and receiving salvation by faith. Some are in the valley longer than others. Some never get out of the valley.

Bro. Bob would be better at answering this as you said. :)

3. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Just a guess here, but I would say the VOD is either the age of accountability or when you become aware of how to be saved.

I was raised RC and didn't get saved until in my 30's, so I had not heard the phrase 'being saved' but since I was baptized when I was a baby, I assumed I was all right.

I don't think I was in the VOD until I started hearing about, and reading, the Bible for myself. THEN I had to make a decision.

I was not in the VOD all that time because I thought I was I was 'good'. No decision was weighing on my mind.

4. nunatak

nunatak
    Expand Collapse

Joe 3:14 Multitudes, multitudes, in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.

on a personal note, this is the first text I ever used to "preach", lol. I used your point, that we all have a decision to make regarding salvation. Clearly I took it out of context, it seems to refer to the valley of the Lord's decision, on Judgement Day.

#4 nunatak, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2008
  5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist
    Expand Collapse

The valley of decision has got nothing at all to do with salvation, either temporal or eternal.
    The decision there is not about sinners deciding in favor of the Lord, it is about the Lord deciding what to do with sinners, and those who persecuted His people.
    Wesley, an Arminian, says:

Those are in hell and will be in hell are there and will be there because at the Great White throne of judgment, they are the ones who need to account for their sins, they have no Savior, no Redeemer, no Advocate. On the other hand, those who do not go to hell had a Savior and a Redeemer, and an Advocate who continously stands and intercedes in their behalf.

#5 pinoybaptist, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. Why, because I made a decision to seek the Lord in my youth.

You will receive two different answers on here for the most part, and you have already received them. One from the "so called" free willers, which will be from the age of accountability to you either choose the Lord in you life, or you die. There is a third occurence and that is if you become a reprobate.

The other answer is from the "reformed", and Pinoy has already given you that one, for they do not believe we have a decision of our own, even though scripture says "choose ye this day, whom you shall serve.

BBob,

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist
    Expand Collapse

Brother Bob:

With all due respects, please note that Wesley is as "free willer" as they come in his days, and I simply used his own notes to point out that the Scripture being quoted refers to God's judgment and decision to render His judgment on sinners, not their decision to come to God.
    To say that the "valley of decision" is for sinners to decide on behalf of their salvation is taking this scripture totally out of context.
    best to find another scripture that just might mean the way that decisional regenerationists want.
    Eloquence is a good talent that preachers should have, but eloquence that takes Scripture out of context just doesn't cut it God's way.

8. lbaker

lbaker
    Expand Collapse

valley of decision = probably something that some preacher made up, sometime, somewhere...

9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I have heard it preached as a "crossroads" and I have heard it as a valley of decision. Always in the context that I already gave.

BBob,

10. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist
    Expand Collapse

so have I, and those preachers I heard were as eloquent as those you probably heard, and very convincingly in earnest in pleading for souls to come forward and make their decision, but like I said, eloquence is eloquence and does not necessarily mean good instruction which is to use the verse according to its context.

about the only thing I can say common between this verse and psalm 23 you quoted is they both contain the word "valley".

11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

This is nothing but a C/A question. Nothing more, nothing less. In the end of time, there is not going to be any decisions, When the Lord leaves Heaven, He will have the Lamb's Book of Life, and the names will already be written in the Book. Won't be any added when He comes, won't be any taken away. No decision at all. He will place the sheep on the right, the goats on the left.
    Oh they will cry for a decision, but it will be too late.

Pinoy; I believe your belief is the elect are pre-chosen. How could you believe in any "valley of decision"???

BBob,

#11 Brother Bob, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  12. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist
    Expand Collapse

I never said I believed in a valley of decision. Not a valley of decision for regeneration, not a valley of decision according to the explanation made by Wesley.

I simply quoted Wesley to show that even a noted theologian of Arminian leaning does not preach decisional regeneration using the quoted Scripture which is what our fellow posters seemed to be driving at. After quoting Wesley I stated what everybody knows I believe regarding eternal salvation.

If you want to ask me what I think is the correct interpretation of this verse, when I read this verse I am reminded of Acts 17:31-32.

13. LeBuick

LeBuick
    Expand Collapse

I don't think there is a physical valley but the preacher is spinning off of Jesus analogy. Jesus is saying there is less resistance and more popular to take the road that leads to destruction. This seems to be obvious, it is far easier to walk down a super highway than it is to walk a balance beam. However, the difficulty of being on the balance beam gets easier with time on the beam.

So the preacher is analogizing this choice to being in a valley where one must choose which path to go. I have used a fork in the road with the well traveled path going one way and the hardly used path going the other. I believe there is a myriad of ways to describe this place where one must choose to follow Christ.

So you are saying you don't believe in eternal security. I wouldn't either if salvation was mine to keep or loose. I thank God my salvation is in the hands of the savior and look what He said to the Father:

Jn 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.
    12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
    13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
    14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
    15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
    16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Now some believe Jesus is only speaking of the Apostles above (minus Judas who is the son of perdition) so I will let Jesus explain it in another analogy;

Jn 10:25 Jesus answered them, I told you, and ye believed not: the works that I do in my Father's name, they bear witness of me.
    26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
    27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
    29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
    30 I and my Father are one.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Convicted1, can and will speak for himself, but I think you misunderstood him LeBuick. I know his belief and he does believe in eternal security.

BBob,

15. convicted1

convicted1
    Expand Collapse
    Retired Staff

RE: Valley of Decision

Bro LeBuick,

On the contrary, I do believe in OSAS. I have heard some preach that they were never on the broad way that leadeth to destruction. I completely disagree. Unless we are saved by God's Grace alone, we are on that broad way, plain and simple. We are doomed if God doesn't save us and place us on the narrow way. Once God places us on the narrow way, we will never get off of it(there are no detours, or places to turn around). I hope this helps.

Willis

16. Jerome

Jerome
    Expand Collapse

"Listen, then, each of you here present, who have only one thing that you lack. Will you now — may his holy Spirit make you — give up the world and all its fair prospects, give up sin and all its fascinations, give up your fleshly self, with all its peculiar inclinations, and close in with God in Christ, and give your whole heart to him? Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! There is a valley of decision to us all, when we are either left to our own wills and decide for evil, or led by the grace of God to decide for Christ. The cry is heard in this house to-night, "Divide, divide." Those who shall say "aye" within their hearts take their place with Christ; but those who are of the "noes" — those who give the negative to the command of Christ — let them, at least, know what they are doing; and if they will go the downward road, let it be with their eyes open, fully aware where they go. But, oh! say not "No !" Oh ! Spirit of God, let them not say " No!" Yield thee, man, yield to the gentle impulse which now bids thee say, "I will take his yoke upon me, for it is easy; I will follow him." Yield to his love who round you now the hands of a man would cast — the cords of his love who was given for you, to his altar binding you fast. Pray this prayer: "Lord, bind the sacrifice with cords, even with cords to the horns of the altar ; let me be thine now, and thine hereafter when thou comest in thy glory!""
    ---Charles Spurgeon, "Lovely But Lacking"

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I thought Charles Spurgeon was "reformed", that man had no choice in the matter. Sound like a great sermon to all men, for I believe in a choice. He seems to be saying if you choose the broad road, do it with your eyes wide open and know you are heading to destruction. Maybe I am misreading him, but don't seem to be. I like what he said.

BBob,

#17 Brother Bob, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  18. LeBuick

LeBuick
    Expand Collapse

I apologize for misunderstanding.... You nailed it here... :thumbs:

19. mparkerfd20

mparkerfd20
    Expand Collapse

...decide for evil, or led by the grace of God to decide for Christ.

Man's natural inclination is to decide for evil and must be led by the grace of God to make any "decision" for Christ or righteousness. This is Spurgeon's contention and still a "reformed" one at that, so I don't see the contradiction that you see.

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Looks like he is saying a choice for men to me.

BBob,