1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Variations on the co-pilot theme

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by npetreley, Nov 21, 2002.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Someone mentioned the old phrase, "My God is my co-pilot", which inspired similar images. I wanted to be fair, so I whipped up an analogy for licentious Calvinism in addition to the spoofs on free will. I expect you'll come up with more entertaining analogies than I've offered here - this is just to get things started.

* My God drives me everywhere I want to go in a great big limosine. I get to do anything I want in the back seat while he drives. I don't think he even notices.

* I was lost. My God drove to where I was, found me, picked me up and drove me to heaven. Sometimes we went through some pretty rough neighborhoods, and I got pretty scared. But I learned by experience that He was always in control.

* My God is my Dad. He lets me sit in his lap and hold the wheel. Whee! I'm driving all by my own free will!

* My God told me that one road leads to heaven and the other to hell, and let me choose which to take of my own free will. If that's supposed to be "fair" then why did he make the road to heaven so dang narrow and the gate dang near impossible to find?

* My God is my co-pilot. Just between us, I keep his controls disconnected unless I get into a jam.

* My God is a back seat driver, and I have news for him. I ain't lost, I'm just exploring. So he can stop telling me to ask for directions.

* God is a hitch-hiker, and I don't need that kind of trouble, so I didn't stop.

[ November 21, 2002, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: npetreley ]

2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    * I was lost. My God drove to where I was, found me, picked me up and drove me to heaven. Sometimes we went through some pretty rough neighborhoods, and I got pretty scared. But I learned by experience that He was always in control.

I believe I will take this analogy for my Eternal Salvation!

And I will take this one for my discipleship and fellowship walking with the Lord because like it or not we can create our own heaven and hell here but can NEVER lose our Eternal Salvation!

* My God told me that one road leads to heaven and the other to hell, and let me choose which to take of my own free will. If that's supposed to be "fair" then why did he make the road to heaven so dang narrow and the gate dang near impossible to find?

The anologies reminded me of Pilgrims Progress but then Christian was a walking man!... Enjoyed the illustration... Brother Glen [​IMG]

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

In another thread, there was a discussion of "what would Jesus drive". I had asserted that Jesus would drive a Honda, since the NT says the desciples all went out in one Accord.

The idea that Jesus would drive a Honda is further supported by this thread, since the discussion is "God is my co Pilot".

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

ROFL!!! I guess that clinches it. I was wondering if being "fools for Christ" meant we were all clowns, and now you've finally answered that question. How else could they all fit into that one Accord?