1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VCR to PC Help

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by mnw, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mnw

mnw New Member

Its a minefield out there!

What I want to do is connect a vcr to my computer to transfer old videos onto DVD. What is the best way of doing that.

I do not have a tv out or anything like that on my computer.

Is the best way to go with a PCI card? In which case, which one is most cost effective. (Read cost effective as cheap)

At some point I would like to be able to watch tv via my pc. Would a single piece of hard ware enable both scenarios?

I have seen some with USB connections also.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Best, easiest, and probably cheapest way? Go to Wal-Mart & pick up a DVD recorder (like a VCR, only uses DVDs). Cost about $100 or so.

3. mnw

mnw New Member

I guess if I got a dvd/vcr combo then I could do the recording that way and still have the option to copy the video onto my hard drive from the dvd...

I love Wal-Mart but stick a $500 plane ticket onto that $100 and it isn't such a bargain. [​IMG] I know what you mean though and appreciate the idea.

I may check that out today.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

I second the vote for the stand-alone dvd recorder. It's easiest way from video to disc.

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi MNV;
    I have a TV card on my computer. I recieve Cable T.V. through it and simply by hooking my vcr to it and setting it on Channel 3 I can play videos on my P.C. and record them on to a dvd.

A DVR from wallmart would be the cheapeast because you can buy one for about 40.00 there
    MB

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have two or three tv cards and they are cheap. Try the discount online sellers or maybe some local store. I think you can do a pretty nice one for 25 or so. The usb would be easier for you to hook up but the pci cards aren't that hard.

You might find something nice on ebay as well.

DVR software may come with the card/unit but to record to dvd software may not. I've never done this so can't speak to that software.

7. mnw

mnw New Member

Yesterday I managed to get a cheap pci tv tuner card. It was surprisingly easy to fit. It cost £25 which is probably around $35.

In my area television reception is pretty poor, but it did work okay. My main hope is to get some old videos onto dvd - especially our wedding videos.

Is the quality of the recording dependent entirely on the pci card or does the software have an impact as well?

8. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All the software I have allows you to record in different qualities. I usually go with the lower due to memory considerations and it is quite watchable - probably about like the normal reception.

For wedding tapes you probably would want to go with better quality.

Look around in your TV card settings, there may be a quality setting there as well.

I've watched tv up in the corner for years as I study/surf and it is quite nice to have.

I tape movies now and then and they do well.

9. mnw

mnw New Member

I appreciate the help ex