1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Verizon: You have to pay us to give us your money

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by freeatlast, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Perhaps if I were not 60 years old and if it didn't require several hundred thousand dollars to start a machine shop I would.

I don't think it is unreasonable to desire a fair wage. I'm not talking about a business owner going broke to satisfy my salary demands. Also, I'm not talking about stealing from others. I just think it is the right thing for a business owner to do. As a Christian, I would expect you to agree, or don't you think a workman is worthy of his hire?

If a boss is unwilling to meet certain demands, I go to someone else. It just so happens that I am starting a new job next week. My previous employer had machinery so old and in such bad repair that it is dangerous to operate. Also, his pay scale was somewhat low. I knew this when I took the job, that is everything except how dangerous his equipment was. I didn't call OSHA or start a rebellion or attempt to start a union. I simply sent my resume to other businesses and found one more suitable. By the way, during my short time at this business there has been several other new employees who left after only a day or two because of the equipment. Some people he hired came to work and after seeing the situation left without working at all. Isn't this Capitalism at it's best?

2. targus

targus New Member

It sounds like the free market is working un this case.

Employees are free to move on to anothr job.

Eventually the true cost of his poor equipment will either put out him out of business or he will be forced by the market forces to invest in new equipment so that he can keep an experience workforce.

I don't see your problem.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So we're supposed to have exponential wage increases regardless of external economic contexts?