1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Vermont Judge

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by TennisNE1, Jan 26, 2006.

1. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

Today the judge in Vermont has the chance to right his wrong. Do you think that he will change his sentence? Do you think that if he doesn't Vermont will do anything about it?

2. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

I don't think he can change the sentence and save face at the same time, even though the state has given him an out. I think he'll stick...

3. elijah_lives

elijah_lives New Member

I blew that prediction! New sentence is 3 - 10 years, still too short.

4. larry9179

larry9179 New Member

Sorry - I missed out on what this judge did?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

While I personally think the man should get a longer sentence, the sentence of 3-10 is within the guidelines of what is prescribed by the law in this specific case. I honestly do not blame the judge for the prior shorter sentence either. He ruled based on a penalty board recommendation on the case. So this is a case where the law was being applied, without regard to personal feelings, which is what an effective judge is supposed to do. He ruled according to the recommendation, and when the state gave him an opportunity to increase the sentence, he took it.

Adhering to the law sometimes means there are decisions I don't like. But my likes and dislikes don't determine judicial decisions. The law does.

6. TennisNE1

TennisNE1 Member

Sorry John...I can't agree with you on this one...there is no way I can justify in my mind giving a child rapist 60 days....I just can't do it.

Cindy