1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

verses on pray

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by donnA, Jun 21, 2006.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

1 Ti 1: 1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior

What do these verses mean? And I wonder how many follow scripture instead of the world when it comes to praying for the leaders of our country? I don't see any: well if's, you don't have too if you don't like them, or they aren't suitable to you, it seems plain to me. It doesn't seem to matter who an elected offical is, people are going to sit around complaining about them, people who have no real idea what their job is like. If we are indeed praying for them how can we sit around complaining about them. The two do not go together. If your complaining you aren't praying. Or are you praying then speaking evil of the one you just prayed for?

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I can pray for someone without agreeing with their policies or even liking them. God said to return good for evil, He didn't say we had to become best buds and excuse their actions.

It isn't necessarily bad to disagree or even complain when something isn't happening the way we believe it should. As a matter of fact, in this country it is our duty to make our opinions known when something is happening that we believe to be wrong. That duty doesn't end just because we are praying that God will strike some sense into our leaders.

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

It doesn't sound very scriptural. Duty, as in scripture? How can you tear someone down and pray for them too? Did God say to pray for Him 'strike some sense into' them? Is that He meant for us to do? Pray needs to change us as well as the person we pray for, it is part of the relationship with God. If we are genuinely praying for someone, we will not seek to tear them down.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I always pray for the elected officials. They have heavy burdens on their shoulders. My belief is GOD can use anyone to work his work even if they don't know it is for his good.

Then there is George W Bush??? :laugh:

Lastly, don't miss this word, "that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.

5. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Sorry DonnA, I meant to put this guy, ;) , on the end of the second paragraph.

However I hold to my first paragraph where I state I do not have to agree with someone in order to pray for them. Nor does my praying for them necessarily change my opinion of their policies.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

That sounds fine MK, but theres a difference between disagreeing with soemone and actively seeking to tear them down. How can we pray for blessings and yet give out bad mouthing them, blessings vs cursings, from one heart about one person.
    I don't think God wants us praying for Him strike some sense into people we disagree with, just because we disagree with them.

7. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take the "all men" part as meaning that if we can think of their name we should pray for them. Now that will lengthen your prayer time!

I also pray for the leaders of both America and Japan. I think the verse is clear about that. It doesn't say "church authority," just "authority.

As for criticizing them after we pray for them--doesn't the Consitution allow that somewhere??:smilewinkgrin:

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Constution? what about scripture?

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. That was just a throwaway line. I'm trying to think of Scripture to permit criticizing our leaders, but I can't think of any. :eek:

I do think, though, that public criticism of their policies is allowed, since we are in a democracy and the leaders work for us! So I believe for a Christian to call our President a liar is a personal attack and wrong according to Scripture, but to say he is spending too much is entirely allowed.

10. mima

mima New Member

I'm thankful to God for being born in America.

donnA, we are living in the greatest nation on the face of the earth. Inherit with our citizenship in this great nation is to have self-expression, if even if that self-expression is in opposition to the elected officials, that would have us be silent. We do not believe in the divine right of Presidents.
    This great nation came about because someone(our founding fathers) told King George NO!!
    My prayerS for the president or for his guidance from Almighty God. But at the same time the laws o this nation are suppose to applied to the president of. Also perhaps the truth should be followed by the president. Another word of it appears that George W. Bush is following his own counsel instead of what is found written in the Bible.

11. lgpruitt

lgpruitt New Member

I agree with mima.
    We are to pray for our leaders....that will keep us busy. But, if we never opened our mouths to give our opinions, that would leave us completely silent. I don't believe God intended for us to be silent. The diciples questioned Jesus just as we question those in authority. If we are silent, then we will become Stepford Wives. :smilewinkgrin:
    :Fish: