1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Version comparison software

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by BrianT, Jun 11, 2003.

1. BrianT

BrianT New Member

This thread may belong in the Computers forum, but I figured it was on topic enough and would get more traffic here. [​IMG] There are an abundance of software packages that let you read/study/search/etc various versions, but does anyone know of any (cheap/free) software packages that excel at detailed *comparison* between two or more translations?

2. Anti-Alexandrian

Try E-Sword ; it is FREE Bible software that you can download;it also has an recent additions and updates link too.Pretty cool! [​IMG]

3. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I second MV-neverist, E-Sword is by far the best bible software that I have ever used (and I've been using bible software since 1985) and its free!

While E-Sword allows you to compare different versions on the screen, is there something else you are looking for? The reason I ask is that I would love to see a program that would actually compare and analyze the text (to a preset criteria) and produce comparison reports.

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

BrianT said:

does anyone know of any (cheap/free) software packages that excel at detailed *comparison* between two or more translations?

I assume you mean some sort of automatic collation?

Never heard of such a thing in a Bible package. I suppose you could do it yourself by exporting the passages you want to compare to separate text files, then use your word processor's document comparison feature on them. Or, if you have access to a UNIX box, run diff on them. The results will understandably be rather primitive.

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brian, I use Power Bible CD. It contains twelve English Bible translations with an unlock option for NIV, NASB, and NRSV. You can choose any twelve and also choose a version to compare with so two versions are showing at all times. It also has Strong's Greek and Hebrew word definitions in the KJV text. It has three Bible dictionaries, five topical Bibles, and several commentaries.

The disk has a toll-free # 800-243-7124

You can check it out here.

6. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In addition to E-Sword, I have enjoyed PowerBible CD. It costs about $20 or so. The only real advantage over E-Sword is that it has parallel versions like a bound parallel Bible does.

7. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Thanks, I'll check out E-sword more carefully. I had it a long time ago, but have been using other things since then. I'll look at PowerBible if I can find it.

Yes Ransom and mesly, that's pretty much what I'm looking for. I'm wanting to develop this software myself (since I think it's a 'void' in the Bible software market), and wanted to get some ideas of how others have tackled some of the more complicated comparison issues.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I happen to prefer ONLINE BIBLE to Power Bible. Online Bible is comparable to Logos Scholar edition. Only thing wrong is it doesn't have the ESV...yet!

Let me find their homepage.