1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

very few calvinist

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by massdak, Jul 31, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you claiming everyone not a calvinist is not saved?!?

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

How did Calvinist become the saviour of the world is what I just cannot understand. I wouldn't think God is happy with Calvinist always being spoken of and not Him?

The Lord is my Sheppard, I shall not want,
    He leadeth me by the still waters,
    He restoreth my soul,

I have read for years in the Bible and have yet to run across the word Calvinist. I do find Baptist however.

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:applause: :thumbs: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

:thumbsup: :laugh:

I once heard someone say, "Every Calvinist becomes an Arminian three times a day, when they eat."

Good observation.

BTW, I'm 'in' as well, but not because of either Calvin or Arminius, who were not a "Calvinist" nor an "Arminian", respectively, since these 'movements' were named for them after their departure.

Ed

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't get it.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

They feed themselves with their own works!

7. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Guess I'm confused also! My :praying: was for Tom Mann who is going for his checkup today. Did some of you miss that or did I somehow miss your point? Hmmm!

Actually I like to think that calvinist live a life of prayer, humility and thankfulness to our God, whose ways are perfect!

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

noticed that on BB

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The John MacArthur (sp?) radio program last night was all about prayer, and it was a terrific sermon. I think you can hear it over the web at...

http://www.gty.org/broadcast.php

I strongly recommend it.

As for the joke about being Arminians 3 times a day, I still don't get it. I can't earn money to pay for food except for the grace of God. I can't cook it except for the grace of God. I wouldn't take my next breath except for the grace of God. Maybe I just don't know how to think like an Arminian anymore and take credit for these things.

10. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I didn't get it either, but I will counter it with this: All arminians become calvinists when they pray.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Really? I would have thought it is the other way around. Why pray if everything is already "predestinated".

12. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

OK maybe you do not pray like a Calvinist when you pay...but most Arminians become Calvinists when they pray.

The why?...that has been cover 100s of times....and gets old. :)

Next we will talk about robots

13. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Webdog, that's the way I used to see it, even for some time after I had converted to Calvinism. But think about it, any time we pray, we are assuming that God has the power to perform our requests (in accordance with His will). When my brother was dying I remember praying hard something like this: "Oh God, save my brother and I don't care what you have to do to him to save him." That's when I realized that all prayers are calvinistic. We would never pray "Oh God, save my brother, but please don't change his will to do it." We assume that God is able to perform that which he has purposed to do, including the salvation of those we pray for.

BTW my brother was "gloriously" saved not long after that!!!!

14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think Bunyan's description of prayer is the best:

"Prayer is a sincere, sensible, affectionate pouring out of the heart or soul to God, through Christ, in the strength and assistance of the Holy Spirit, for such things as God hath promised, or according to the Word, for the good of the church, with submission, in faith, to the will of God."

15. 2BHizown

2BHizown New Member

Absolutely a great book that I participated in a study on and we memorized that definition as being accurate for 'prayer'!

We'll all be calvinists in heaven! Soli deo gloria!

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Because if you are praying the way Jesus taught us to pray, it brings you into the presence of God, acknolwedges His Holiness, His sovereignty over all things, the fact that you rely on Him for everything, gives thanks for those things He provides, helps you confess your sins, forgive others, and aligns you with His will.

You can ask for anything you want, and hopefully that includes salvation for the lost. But if you don't end up with, "Nevertheless, not my will but Thine be done", you're not praying the way Jesus taught us to pray.

17. bound

bound New Member

Grace and Peace,

Nice! Amen! :thumbs:

18. TomMann

TomMann New Member

Back from the doctor and all good. Xrays clear, blood test normal... avatar replaced..... 3" diameter tumor in upper lung gone gone gone. Followup in six months...... Praise him with "Psalm 150"

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Glad all turned out well Tom and pray it will continue for you. God Bless,:praying:

20. Mark Fesco

Mark Fesco New Member

I'm a Calvinist (prefer the term reformed). Used to be one of them there pesky arminians for years. Until I realized, "Hey, Romans 9, Eph 1, John 6:37, 44 doesn't line up to well with my version of free-will" and so I quickly learned about God's sovereignty and how the only free will I have prior to faith is to act according to my nature (Eph 2) choosing one sin over another (Heb 11:6) just as the Lord cannot act contrary to his nature of righteousness.

So I am proud to be "one of those damn calvinists." :love2::tear::applause::saint: