1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Very Sad

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Politics and ideologies shouldn't play as big a part in discussion of viewpoints,but they always seem to move to the forefront moreso than God's word on this board in just about every forum.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes he is a friend & he did not really explain (in detail) his reason for leaving....and I know everyone has their opinion but he is a big boy & he made the call so respect his decision, wish him well & move on.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a huge assumption on your part, Zaac. I see you haven't been a member here very long, but surely you know by now that someone will ALWAYS challenge what is said.

When I said I miss the way things used to be, I meant I miss the camaraderie we had here several years ago. Of COURSE we didn't agree on everything. Of COURSE there were spirited, and even mean-spirited debates. But several of us had mutual respect for others. The tone overall on BB wasn't so negative and unkind as it has been the last year or so.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until a few weeks ago I havn’t looked at BB – for over a year – for the same reasons that Arbo lists.

On BB I sometimes asked questions about other’s views and sought feedback regarding my understanding. I was often encouraged my many here who took the time to engage me and many offered responses and criticisms that caused me to re-examine what I believed. BB was a valuable resource to me.

But there was also a darker aspect. I have seen believers, even pastors, attack others with such sharpness and hate that I have no doubt it is foreign to their “public” character. With the level of anonymity here, I believe that the BB is to some a “secret sin.”

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

ABC I'm just speaking on what I've seen consistently on this board on the short time I have been here. Politics just seem to bring out the unsavory side in a lot of people. And that poison is still hanging over the board just as it is in this country in general.

The Church is made up of people from this board. And the same type personalities that are seen on this board live in the church. They just aren't heard every day.

If your opinion is in the majority, you're fine. But if you're not, you get some of the same ugliness that you'd see from conservatives when a liberal gets on a FOX News page story or from liberals when a conservative gets on a MSNBC page story.

This again is indicative of what's going on in the country. There's division and where folks used to let things just go, they don't anymore.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Now THAT is what I have seen a lot of and it travels in packs. :laugh: And I was a little offput by it at first and had to double chek thename at the top of the board.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've noticed this, too. People in general are more on edge, a little quicker to snap, a little more "driven" the last few years. The economy plays a part as lots of us are stressed about finances and healthcare. Then add in all the evil that seems to be taking over the country, well, I guess it stands to reason that even the Christians are short tempered. Lately I've seen more road rage in a week than in my entire lifetime combined.

It's not right or ok, but that's how it is. Of course the media is doing their part to divide the country as much as possible. It's part of the devil's plan to destroy, I think--break the country, the church, homes, etc. We should be more on guard than ever.

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

This is the sickening part. There are times that I wish the internet and network tv and radio would be brought to their knees. They have all turned into such an instrument of the devil to stir people up on the left and the right that I often wish we could push a button and they go away.

Things seemed like they were so much more honest when news was disseminated a little bit slower as opposed to news outlets "making" the news.

9. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

One way to stifle those who spew vitriol is to simply ignore them. They post to get a rise out of somebody, not to make an argument for their view. There's nothing more frustrating to them than to be ignored. We don't have to do anything. Doing nothing messes with their minds.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Paducah, KY. were you there Tom when the ice storms came through? We sent a disater relief team up there and Cunningham in 2009. Stayed at the Bethlehem Baptist CHurch. Ms. Betty nem took really good care of us, but it sure was cold. :laugh:

Looked like a hurricane had been through there and snapped ever tree. I officially hate Bartlett Pear trees now. They are a beast to clean up.

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Atheists are more aggressive. The far left is more aggressive trying to make their extremism normal. Obama has done more to divide the country than nay President in history. It just seems to be growing and growing all the time. We need leadership in the country to take us back.

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Barack Obama puts forward policies. People choose to respond how they will to him and his policies. He didn't divide the country. People responding in the wrong manner to his policies are what has left the country divided.

And the Church is not immune to it. This board is a microcosm of how the Church responds in an unChristlike manner to the things of the world.

Because of our politics, we want to lay the division at the foot of a President for whom we don't care. When the real problem is US and how respond to something that really shouldn't change a right walk with Christ.

So what we disagree with the man's politics? It shouldn't have us biting at Brothers and Sisters in Christ just because they see things differently. And it's done because we elevate our politics and ideologies above our love of Christ and others.

#32 Zaac, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I was just a few miles from you. What a miserable three weeks. No electricity, gas, or phone. I have been through a hurricane also, and would rather clean up after the hurricane. At least it is warm.

After we lost power about 8 pm that night, I stood out in the yard about 2 am. Every few seconds, one could hear the creak of a large branch breaking, then BAM!!!.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Yep, we were here. Pretty grim, but it brought out the best in folks. Thanks for helping, it was really needed.

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I love that area. But yall go poison all the Bartlett Pears so if that ever happens again, those will already be dead and gone. :laugh:

They do a really big outreach event every year about this time called Muddin' for Missions where kids get teams together and come in and compete in a volleyball tournament in the mud. It's fantastic!!!

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

If you are ever near here again contact me and we can have coffee, or if you insist, we can go over to Tom's and have a wild party. And if you come over to my house, you will notice all the pear trees are gone. Also, I will be glad to hand over to you all the Romney signs of the last campaign.

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Just wanted everyone to know, while I braved all the elements after the ice storm, Tom retreated to a plush hotel in Nashville and waited till the power came back on. Some of us are brave and others are not.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, Toms approach appears much brighter. :laugh:

19. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I don't know. When I see any person blaming their behaviors upon the actions of others as the cause of their behavior I dismiss their remorse and apology immediately if not sooner.

#39 preacher4truth, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  20. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Sorry to see Arbo go. Much appreciated his commentary and input. He will be missed.