1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Veteran's Ministries

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCashatt, Dec 22, 2005.

1. TCashatt

TCashatt New Member

I am a new member to the Baptist Board and was wondering if any churches out there have a veteran's ministry and if so what kind of things are done.
    I have a very small ministry of sorts where I assist local veterans with questions about benefits and such.
    I also host services on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. Mine is done by honoring God first!
    The biggest part of my ministry is my website. Vladimir Lukyanov who is now a missionary to Russia helped me get this started.
    I served over 20 years in the US Army and Missouri Army National Guard and never reached my buddies for God like I should have. Now I am hoping to not only reach them but as many others as I can.
    I would love to hear from anyone who is doing or thinking of doing something for our veterans and military.
    TC
    www.focusonveterans.org

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Not many churches (or individuals) have "veterans" in mind these days.

God bless.

3. BruceB

BruceB New Member

TCashatt,
    Along with an old ARNG buddy, I attended the Veterans Day celebrations on the Mall in Washington DC this past November. Among all the VFW, VVA, DAV, AL, etc. display booths I came across Point Man Ministries. I went in and talked to the lady working the tent/table and she told me of their work.

I made a small donation and she gave me and my buddy a "Veteran's Bible" which is actually a New Testament w/ Psalms and Proverbs, in a translation I have never heard of before - the World English Bible (the preface states that it is a modern update of the ASV and they pay no royalties to any publisher - thus a cheap price to help give them away). She was giving the Bibles out regardless of whether you gave a donation or not.

Their focus is helping vets who have a difficult time (there is lots of PTSD/stress/depression info in the front of the Bible before it explains salvation through Jesus. They list a website; www.pointmanintl.org

Hope this is a little of what you are looking for.
    Bruce

4. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

TC, I work in a VA hospital, and I can tell you that basically any ministry would be welcome, especially in the nursing homes. There are a myriad of privacy rules that you would have to navigate, but it can be done. Most hospitals have a volunteer and a chaplains service, and that would be a good place to start.

There's also off site needs. Many veterans suffer from alcohol and drug dependance. The hospital I work at has partnered with some shelters in the community to house vets that are either waiting to get into treatment or have completed it and are in a step down situation.

Or, contact the social work department, and see if there are any vet families in your community that could use a hand, especially if they have someone in the ME.

There are many opportunities to serve and witness to the veterans.