Veteran's Ministries

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCashatt, Dec 22, 2005.

1. TCashatt

TCashatt
    Expand Collapse

I am a new member to the Baptist Board and was wondering if any churches out there have a veteran's ministry and if so what kind of things are done.
    I have a very small ministry of sorts where I assist local veterans with questions about benefits and such.
    I also host services on Memorial Day and Veteran's Day. Mine is done by honoring God first!
    The biggest part of my ministry is my website. Vladimir Lukyanov who is now a missionary to Russia helped me get this started.
    I served over 20 years in the US Army and Missouri Army National Guard and never reached my buddies for God like I should have. Now I am hoping to not only reach them but as many others as I can.
    I would love to hear from anyone who is doing or thinking of doing something for our veterans and military.
    TC
    www.focusonveterans.org

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Not many churches (or individuals) have "veterans" in mind these days.

God bless.

3. BruceB

BruceB
    Expand Collapse

TCashatt,
    Along with an old ARNG buddy, I attended the Veterans Day celebrations on the Mall in Washington DC this past November. Among all the VFW, VVA, DAV, AL, etc. display booths I came across Point Man Ministries. I went in and talked to the lady working the tent/table and she told me of their work.

I made a small donation and she gave me and my buddy a "Veteran's Bible" which is actually a New Testament w/ Psalms and Proverbs, in a translation I have never heard of before - the World English Bible (the preface states that it is a modern update of the ASV and they pay no royalties to any publisher - thus a cheap price to help give them away). She was giving the Bibles out regardless of whether you gave a donation or not.

Their focus is helping vets who have a difficult time (there is lots of PTSD/stress/depression info in the front of the Bible before it explains salvation through Jesus. They list a website; www.pointmanintl.org

Hope this is a little of what you are looking for.
    Bruce

4. Psalm 100

Psalm 100
    Expand Collapse

TC, I work in a VA hospital, and I can tell you that basically any ministry would be welcome, especially in the nursing homes. There are a myriad of privacy rules that you would have to navigate, but it can be done. Most hospitals have a volunteer and a chaplains service, and that would be a good place to start.

There's also off site needs. Many veterans suffer from alcohol and drug dependance. The hospital I work at has partnered with some shelters in the community to house vets that are either waiting to get into treatment or have completed it and are in a step down situation.

Or, contact the social work department, and see if there are any vet families in your community that could use a hand, especially if they have someone in the ME.

There are many opportunities to serve and witness to the veterans.